Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Disc Brake Prop Valve Question - Rears Lock Up Before Front

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 07:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Rear Disc Brake Prop Valve Question - Rears Lock Up Before Front

I have 2 lingering issues after my ZJ disc conversion. With the ZJ prop valve I got - the rears are locking up before the front?

Anyone have issues with this after their conversion? I only noticed it when I was bedding in the brakes earlier today.

I do still think I have air in the lines. Tried the 1 person Bleed method but I don't think I got it all out. Might have a shop do a legit vacuum Bleed (or just buy the harbor freight vacuum bleeder), but the pedal feels like 80% good so I am wondering why the rears are so easy to lock up

Second issue is that the parking brake cables I bought from Morris 4x4 are not working in my application. The passenger side cable (long one) is the right length, but the drivers side cable is too long and isn't engaging the parking brake properly. Thinking of having an exhaust shop weld a spacer on the cable by the equalizer to essentially "shorten" it, if that makes sense (take up the extra slack in the cable)

Last edited by investinwaffles; 02-25-2017 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:30 PM
CF Veteran

Well, to simplify the question

Does anyone know what "bias" the XJ prop valve is compared to the ZJ?
As in, which valve sends MORE pressure to the rears?

I am assuming the ZJ valve does but haven't been able to confirm. Might swap back to my factory XJ prop valve to test with if nobody knows
Old 02-26-2017, 04:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 229 Likes on 178 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

I would think that the XJ prop valve would be more biased towards the rear because the drums need more pressure as opposed to the discs. I have no information to back that up, more of a thought.

I used a ZJ prop valve with my rear disc swap and it seems to be very balanced. I cant compare the two though.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L 162,000

There is alot of debate on just what that valve really does. I don't think that it is a proportioning valve but more a residual valve. Comparing the XJ and ZJ, one has a slight amount of residual pressure to drag the pads and other no residual pressure. It also functions as a system failure check, that is if F or R fails and leaks, the valve shifts position and trips the brake warning light. The F + R circuits are separate.

I vote on air in the lines. Get a set of 'speed bleeders' with the ball and spring inside, available at most parts stores. They greatly simplify the one man bleeding. I thought that they were BS until I got a set. Now I'm sold.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:59 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CobraMarty
There is alot of debate on just what that valve really does. I don't think that it is a proportioning valve but more a residual valve. Comparing the XJ and ZJ, one has a slight amount of residual pressure to drag the pads and other no residual pressure. It also functions as a system failure check, that is if F or R fails and leaks, the valve shifts position and trips the brake warning light. The F + R circuits are separate.

I vote on air in the lines. Get a set of 'speed bleeders' with the ball and spring inside, available at most parts stores. They greatly simplify the one man bleeding. I thought that they were BS until I got a set. Now I'm sold.
Well, I guess that might be pointing me to air in the lines. The right rear will lock up just before the left rear in most cases, and I have not gotten the fronts to lock up because I don't want to flat-spot the rear tires, so I don't know where their lockup point is and how much braking I am "missing" out on.

I had a set of speed bleeders on my Mustang and loved them, till it started leaking one day. Didn't notice till I had almost zero brakes so I stayed away from em after that (they were the Russell ones). Probably luck of the draw but I like the regular bleeder valves more
​​​​​
I do think I'm gonna pick up a vacuum bleeder from Harbor Freight (less than $30 w/ coupon). Makes cycling fluid once a year really easy and I think they would make bleeding easier since the overwhelming vacuum will prevent air from getting in around the bleeder valve
Old 02-26-2017, 06:02 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by XJlimitedx99
I would think that the XJ prop valve would be more biased towards the rear because the drums need more pressure as opposed to the discs. I have no information to back that up, more of a thought.

I used a ZJ prop valve with my rear disc swap and it seems to be very balanced. I cant compare the two though.
That is logical to me as well (drums requiring more pressure to operate)

Going to try bleeding it tomorrow once more and see if there's any improvement

Thanks for the sanity check gentlemen
Old 02-27-2017, 05:38 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,527 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

This is a great tool to have:

http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-f...der-92924.html
Old 02-27-2017, 07:44 PM
CF Veteran

I made something like that out of a pressure cooker in the early '70s. Yeah I'm old.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:20 PM

I made something like that out of a pressure cooker in the early '70s. Yeah I'm old.
Can't be older than me!!!!!
Old 02-28-2017, 04:49 AM
CF Veteran

Just had a Bday a few days ago. Still a few years away, as in 3 years, from collecting early social security.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:14 AM

Just had a Bday a few days ago. Still a few years away, as in 3 years, from collecting early social security.
I could get the early now, but I'm gonna wait 2 more years to get full.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:19 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by cruiser54
I am going to buy one of those as soon as I get my paycheck this month. Would be great for siphoning fluid from pretty much anywhere - even motor oil from the lawn mower, coolant overflow, power steering reservoir, etc.

I think I was -19 years old in 1970, born in 1989

Never bled the brakes - gonna have to wait until after Thursday but I will update this thread to let you all know the outcome. Might swap my XJ prop valve back in to see if there is any change
Old 03-01-2017, 04:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Model: Cherokee

I'm fairly confident it is air in the front lines.

I swapped an 8.8 from an Explorer into my 90. (The Explorers have discs rear brakes) When I did the swap I didn't swap the prop valve right away, drove it for a few months with the XJ prop valve. Later swapped to the ZJ prop valve internals in the XJ housing. No noticeable difference.

The greatest improvement to the braking was swapping in a WJ booster/master. Night and day difference in stopping distance. I can now lock up 33s at speed where as the stock booster wouldn't lock up 31s.

Last edited by bad_idea; 03-01-2017 at 04:30 AM.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by investinwaffles
With the ZJ prop valve I got - the rears are locking up before the front?

Anyone have issues with this after their conversion? I only noticed it when I was bedding in the brakes earlier today.
The proportioning (also called bias) valve is designed to do exactly just that, once the front wheels lock up your steering is gone.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:46 PM

http://www.classicperform.com/How/Ho...-Prop-Work.htm