Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detroit locker in daily front axle anyone else running this

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Detroit locker in daily front axle anyone else running this

About to regear my axles to 4.88 running 35s its a daily driver weekend warrior xj

Already bought the gears install kits and a Detroit locker for my front axle dana 30.

Was it a good decision to run a Detroit locker on my daily?

Only second guessing this cause one of the shops i was looking to get it regeared at said its bad on the street in the snow and hard turning off road

Steering wise i have one ton jcr otk steering
Iro track bar and durango steering box.

Thanks in advance

Really looking for comments from people who are running the same locker in the front
Old 08-24-2015, 11:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999

I agree with the shop, although a lot of people may disagree.

In my experience a front auto locker shouldn't be used on a street driven vehicle that will also see substantial snow. It will want to push (under-steer) under any sort of power which can cause you to end up in on coming traffic. One thing you can do however is simply to shift back into 2wd during turns, but I'd personally prefer to stay in 4wd if possible.

I've even swapped my rear Detroit for an ARB primarily because driving in the snow was absolutely horrible. The wife is MUCH happier now.

To each their own, but white knuckle driving sucks
Old 08-24-2015, 01:22 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

im running detroit rear. elocker front. that does the trick. 4.88's on 33's
i have never driven one with an auto front.
some people run lunchboxes at each end and that sounds really not fun to me.
I can run around in 3 wheel drive low and do most anything i want, but when it gets hard i push a button and im fully locked. when i need to turn i push the same button again.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4L, 6 cylinder, 190 hp, 225 ft lp torque

The shop is right. I've been driving Cherokee's for over twenty years and the best snow and ice set-up I've driven was the factory limited slip rear and open front. The Cherokee that I'm driving today has lunchbox lockers front and rear but is set-up for off-road and rocks. Yes, it sucks on road on snow and ice but is great if your going in a straight line. (:
Old 08-24-2015, 03:09 PM

I have no problem with it in my xj, people drive really slow when it snows here so high speed turns are not a issue, if so I just jump out of 4wheel for a few.....its way easier to drive than a zj.

In my zj though its not as good, the jeep is heavy & it just does not respond to the locking and unlocking as well, but I would love a full case front locker.

Same as all the other threads, its not for wussies, do it if you want. Offroad its awesome.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by mrshaft696
I have no problem with it in my xj, people drive really slow when it snows here so high speed turns are not a issue, if so I just jump out of 4wheel for a few.....its way easier to drive than a zj.

In my zj though its not as good, the jeep is heavy & it just does not respond to the locking and unlocking as well, but I would love a full case front locker.

Same as all the other threads, its not for wussies, do it if you want. Offroad its awesome.
IMHO, some people just haven't had a bad experience yet with their auto lockers in bad weather. In other words your more likely to have a bad experience if your stuck with the white stuff for 6 months out of the year VS others that may see it just once a year.

All it takes is once

I was power sliding into parking spots at one point... and not by choice.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 98
Engine: 6 cyl.

i agree w/ the shop also, auto lockers in the front are hard to deal with, i also run a detriot rear & a e- locker front. 90% of my wheelin can be done w/ the front left open, just lock it when its really needed then turn it off so i can steer.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:03 PM

Received 52 Likes on 51 Posts

speaking as one of those crazy outlaw guys with lunch box's front and rear, my preference would be against the norm. For a street rig I would run the auto locker in the front to save money over a front and rear selectable setup. I know its crazy but hear me out. The rear auto locker will spend most of its time locked pushing you through corners (especially in the snow) and chirping tires through tight turns on the street. Any time you are on the power you are locked. The 98% of the time or more you are in 2wd you wont notice your front auto locker besides the noise. In conclusion the drive in 2wd without the rear engaged will be stock but off road you can have a fully locked rig or any other situation where you want a locked rear for posi shenanigans. Just my $.02
Old 08-25-2015, 01:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I run full case Detroit Lockers front and rear have for several years now on and off road in all seasons, all it requires is experience driving them. I have no more issues with it than I do with my 04 WJ D30/D44 with factory lockers in both.

I first installed auto lockers in both differentials when I was in the towing business in CO. over 35 yrs ago. I specialized in mountain recovery and towing from Golden to the "Hole in the wall". I nor any of my drivers had problems with it after a 100mi. or so of use, just getting used to it.

When in 2wd you never know its there anyway and with the rear locked you don't need 4wd as often either. Another thing with the Detriots are that you are buying the quality and strength of the best auto locker, plus they are quiet not like a lunchbox.

Last edited by Fred/N0AZZ; 08-25-2015 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Should've installed a selectable up front.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ

I first installed auto lockers in both differentials when I was in the towing business in CO. over 35 yrs ago. I specialized in mountain recovery and towing from Golden to the "Hole in the wall". I nor any of my drivers had problems with it after a 100mi. or so of use, just getting used to it.
I'd be willing to bet this was a 1ton+ truck no? A light, short wheel base'd XJ with large tires is a completely different story.

I was daily driving with my Detroit and hated it. I might feel differently if it was a weekend toy.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:50 PM

i do definitely notice my rear detroit, but it doesn't make it undriveable or horrible. i actually like how it feels. keeps me from falling asleep. makes the jeep fun. i would probably feel different if it was a lunchbox. all ratchety and jerky and noisy
Old 08-26-2015, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Boostwerks.com
IMHO, some people just haven't had a bad experience yet with their auto lockers in bad weather. In other words your more likely to have a bad experience if your stuck with the white stuff for 6 months out of the year VS others that may see it just once a year.

All it takes is once

I was power sliding into parking spots at one point... and not by choice.
I don't disagree, but I am used to driving it, but its very rare in PA for me to actually really need 4wd on the street & if I engage it, it will only be in a straight line not going over 35-45mph. Once you have driven in 2-3ft of snow off the road it kind of makes street driving laughable in my area. I am poor, an ARB & the setup is worth 3/4 the value of my jeep, so it doesn't make sense if its not a long term DD.

My wife is complicated & needs the jeep in 4wd all the time, so shifting in and out of 4wd is not desired which means front auto locker is not her cup of tea.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1994...mostly...
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO, Lot's of Bolt Ons

I run full mechanical lockers front and rear.

Your much better off with a full case locker like the Detroit than a lunch box or even an open carrier as far as strength.

I drive mine in the snow and ice every year and haven't had problems with the lockers although there is a learning curve with how to drive it.

With my budget I'm just happy with non-slectable lockers as you don't notice they're there when your in 2wd. Yes on the trail it makes it harder to turn but save the cash and price and just install a Tera 2Lo kit in your 231.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Boostwerks.com
I'd be willing to bet this was a 1ton+ truck no? A light, short wheel base'd XJ with large tires is a completely different story.

I was daily driving with my Detroit and hated it. I might feel differently if it was a weekend toy.

The trucks were 1 and 1 1/2 ton trucks correct.

I really don't have any issues driving the XJ on snow and ice here on the highway as all that is needed is 2wd anyway. The only place I use 4wd is on the 5 mi. I have of country roads to reach a maintained road in the winter then it may be very heavy drifting.

Originally Posted by Desertfox1023
I run full mechanical lockers front and rear.

Your much better off with a full case locker like the Detroit than a lunch box or even an open carrier as far as strength.

I drive mine in the snow and ice every year and haven't had problems with the lockers although there is a learning curve with how to drive it.

With my budget I'm just happy with non-slectable lockers as you don't notice they're there when your in 2wd. Yes on the trail it makes it harder to turn but save the cash and price and just install a Tera 2Lo kit in your 231.

I agree and cost wasn't and issue with a selectable either its the need for a source to use them air or electric. Both of which I have seen others have problems with on the trail and I didn't want those either.

Quick Reply: Detroit locker in daily front axle anyone else running this