Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Power windows to manual

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 09:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Straight Six
Default 99 Power windows to manual

Today I have started the process of going doorless. I have power windows in my 99 just like 95% of newer Jeeps and want to get manual crank windows so I dont have to play with the plugs every time I take the doors on or off. Does anyone know if I could just swap regulators and just drill a hole through the door panel or do I need need to get a new door panel or do I need whole new doors that originally came with manual windows?

I may also consider wiring in a plug so I dont have to pull the wires through the body every time and instead just plug them into the body between the door and frame.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0L HO

AFAIK you're still going to have to mess with plugs, the wires for your speakers and power mirror still go through, so your call. I would just spend a Saturday and about $100 pulling the roll-up panels and guts from the JY, then solder some male/female blade disconnects where the rubber boot is. You can also chop your hinge pins so the doors will just lift straight off instead of having to unbolt them every time. I got lucky with my 99 as it already had manual locks and windows. It was a government fleet vehicle in Olympia WA originally so that explains why they didn't spring for the power stuff.

Last edited by ddurgin91; 08-01-2015 at 03:56 AM.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:31 AM
Seasoned Member

For the mirrors, I plan on just adjusting them by hand and I have the pins cut. What Im trying to figure out is if the crank handle will hit the arm rest on the door when I spin it. I know the doors are slightly different. Id be fine with leaving the switch panel on the door for a while, its really hard to find the manual crank doors, but should be easy to drill a hole through the panel.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by one_speed_heuer
For the mirrors, I plan on just adjusting them by hand and I have the pins cut. What Im trying to figure out is if the crank handle will hit the arm rest on the door when I spin it. I know the doors are slightly different. Id be fine with leaving the switch panel on the door for a while, its really hard to find the manual crank doors, but should be easy to drill a hole through the panel.
Why don't you just pick up some roll-up panels from the JY? There are plenty of them and you can probably get a set for like 30 bucks including all the linkage and new mirror switch
Old 08-08-2015, 08:53 PM
Seasoned Member

I would go to the junkyard for it but I havent found any in any junkyard within 50 miles of my house, its hard to find Cherokees there, most have already been crushed. I am finding the pre 96 cherokees for cheap on craigslist but I dont want those doors.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Or the easiest way leave the doors on.