Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > General > Cherokee Chat
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 08-29-2010, 01:09 PM   #1

View ken72's Photo Album My Photos
2001 Cherokee
Default Share my thoughts on lucas oil treatment

I changed my oil today and after fighting with the oil filter I got it all done. While I was pouring the old oil in the container to recycle I notice it was getting stuck in the funnel. Basicly not flowing at all. The last oil change I did, I used some lucas oil Stabilizer, that super thick honey like additive. The Jeep ran a little rough and felt like it stumbled some before today. I used it to slow a leak and quiet a lifter tick. Well today I just went with the Valvoline premium conventional 10w40 and no Lucas. The engine idles much smoother now. Dont think I will be using that lucas stuff again. I could not believe how thick and heavy my oil was. Just thought I would share my thoughts. I never talk bad about additives and believe most of them are fine. Even the stop leak stuff is fine as long as it is just for swelling the gaskets and not the thick stuff. I can only imagine how hard that lucas was on my engine though.

BTW, I dont think my leak is comming from the rear main. While I was under there it was a little greasy around the RM but not oily. The wet oil was on the oil filter and around the pump.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:26 PM   #2
CF Veteran

View sgtskid's Photo Album My Photos
1998 Cherokee

hmm, thats interesting. What weight oil did you have with it? I have always used a bottle of lucas every other oil change and mixed with havoline 10w30 and a K&N oil filter and I have never had a problem with thickness. It even got rid of my lifter tick that the 4.0 is notorious for (although I think that may be due more to the filter than additive).

Where I work, we have a lab that can do tribology and with 204k on the engine the oil came back great!

Project VROOOOM
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f9/24hr-car-109274/index5/

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjmarc View Post
I wheeled my Porche 914
sgtskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:43 PM   #3

2001 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtskid View Post
hmm, thats interesting. What weight oil did you have with it? I have always used a bottle of lucas every other oil change and mixed with havoline 10w30 and a K&N oil filter and I have never had a problem with thickness. It even got rid of my lifter tick that the 4.0 is notorious for (although I think that may be due more to the filter than additive).

Where I work, we have a lab that can do tribology and with 204k on the engine the oil came back great!

I was using 10w40 valvoline max life synthetic blend. I was shocked at how thick the oil was. Oil was jet black too. No real sludge issues, because when I changed the valve cover gasket everything was nice and clean. Is it possible that the thick oil would cause poor idle?
Old 08-30-2010, 06:46 PM   #4

View REVIS 24's Photo Album My Photos
1995 Cherokee

i use 10- 30 and lucas, its thick but once u add it to the other 5 quarts its not really that thick......i use it and seems to work good ,im not positive if its doing anything but i use it and its seems to work
REVIS 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:47 PM   #5

View REVIS 24's Photo Album My Photos
1995 Cherokee

i might go with mobil 15/40 w and be done with the lucas
REVIS 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:07 PM   #6

View vasponger's Photo Album My Photos
01 Cherokee
Send a message via AIM to vasponger

try BG
vasponger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:51 PM   #7

2001 Cherokee

Valvoline conventional 10w40 and my Jeep seems to love it. It idles so much better now and believe it or not, it seems to run a little cooler as well. It was running on sythn-blend with lucas. I read the synthetic oil can run hotter as well.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:51 PM

submit to reddit
Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > General > Cherokee Chat