Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

new jeep 4x4 never used

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default new jeep 4x4 never used

So I just bought my first jeep from some old people who were the first and only owners, it's a 2000 cherokee xj has 150,000 miles and they never used the 4x4 so I want to know if it's a good or bad thing and if there is anything I should do before I use it or just any advice with that information I'm going to the snow next weekend and I want to know what to do if I need it I know how to use the 4x4 I just don't know if there will be any problems since it's never been used also it has always been serviced properly so it was given to me already serviced an help is appreciated thanks

Last edited by edgarr; 11-26-2015 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:24 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Have you shifted it into 4wd to verify operation?

If it works, run with it. The only other thing I can recommend is a fluid change.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:31 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Here's how the factory suggests you shift the transfer case and I've been doing this since these things were new and I worked at the dealership. Quoted from the owner's manual. The suggestions in CAPS are mine.

"To engage, shift the transfer case lever from 2H to 4H while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed". I LET OFF THE GAS, THROW THE LEVER, TAP THE GAS AND LET OFF.

4L position: " To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 MPH , shift the transmission to Neutral, then shift the transfer lever to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4L".

TO SHIFT OUT OF 4L, SHIFT THE TRANSMISSION INTO NEUTRAL WITH THE VEHICLE STOPPED, SHIFT THE TRANSFER CASE LEVER TO 2H, THEN THE TRANS TO D IF YOU HAVE AN AUTOMATIC, OR INTO FIRST GEAR WITH A MANUAL, AND CONTINUE ON.

Revised 11/20/2014
Old 11-26-2015, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by roninofako
Have you shifted it into 4wd to verify operation?

If it works, run with it. The only other thing I can recommend is a fluid change.
I never did the lift test but I engaged hi and lo when i bought it and they work so I just wonder since it's never been used should I like break it in properly because basically it's like it just drive out of the dealer situation since they never used it and said no-one else did
Old 11-26-2015, 10:26 AM
kgm
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 99

Swap the fluid and get on getting stuck!
Old 11-26-2015, 10:30 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by kgm
Swap the fluid and get on getting stuck!
This.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:34 AM

You're seriously over thinking this.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to put the fears to rest, I suppose.. If the u joints aren't squeaking/grinding and everything seems tight then theres really no "break in period" for the TC. The only thing you really should check to be sure is the TC fluid. Drain and refill if you want, but if the levels good, then draining isn't necessary.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by VTJeep
Good to put the fears to rest, I suppose.. If the u joints aren't squeaking/grinding and everything seems tight then theres really no "break in period" for the TC. The only thing you really should check to be sure is the TC fluid. Drain and refill if you want, but if the levels good, then draining isn't necessary.
Most importantly now is a good lube, oil and filter and safety inspection. Brakes fluid levels and conditions.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:15 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Most importantly now is a good lube, oil and filter and safety inspection. Brakes fluid levels and conditions.
Good point! Old people who never used 4wd doesn't inspire much confidence when it comes to maintenance/servicing.. Thats like two of the biggest strikes you can encounter :/
Old 11-26-2015, 11:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by cruiser54

This should be on top of your list before you drive it!

Please fill out your CP so people will know what you have in the future when you ask questions.

Welcome!!!!
Old 11-26-2015, 11:23 AM

Year: 1997

Good point! Old people who never used 4wd doesn't inspire much confidence when it comes to maintenance/servicing.. Thats like two of the biggest strikes you can encounter :/
My Dad is 80 years old he drives his old 1995 F250 out to the lake twice a year pulling his trailer to go camping, maybe 150 miles a year but he changes his oil every year, tranny is done every two years same as antifreeze and diff's so saying just because an older person doesn't use something does not mean they do not look after it.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:49 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Bart_68
My Dad is 80 years old he drives his old 1995 F250 out to the lake twice a year pulling his trailer to go camping, maybe 150 miles a year but he changes his oil every year, tranny is done every two years same as antifreeze and diff's so saying just because an older person doesn't use something does not mean they do not look after it.
Oh boy…
LIKE: preposition,
1. having the same characteristics or qualities as; similar to.
"there were other suits like mine in the shop"
synonyms: similar to, the same as, identical to
"you're just like a teacher"
2. used to draw attention to the nature of an action or event.
"I apologize for coming over unannounced like this"

My grandpa was a meticulous individual when it came to vehicles. He didn't take a trip, however short, without checking the oil and tires. I didn't say every old person.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:56 AM

Year: 1997

Oh boy…
LIKE: preposition,
1. having the same characteristics or qualities as; similar to.
"there were other suits like mine in the shop"
synonyms: similar to, the same as, identical to
"you're just like a teacher"
2. used to draw attention to the nature of an action or event.
"I apologize for coming over unannounced like this"

My grandpa was a meticulous individual when it came to vehicles. He didn't take a trip, however short, without checking the oil and tires. I didn't say every old person.
But you did generalize that all old people do that and I was just stating no they don't.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:16 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Bart_68
But you did generalize that all old people do that and I was just stating no they don't.
Well I didn't mean to offend or mis speak, but a generalization has an implicit value that not everyone or everything is included.. But, I hear what you are saying and its true! Theres just as much chance that these "old folks" took that thing in regularly and had every bit of it maintenance as needed. Theres also way less chance of general wear and tear because I don't know many who could be considered "old" who still beat their jeeps on any given opportunity..

Quick Reply: new jeep 4x4 never used