Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 06:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Cigarette lighter switch

Alright, so I no longer have anything plugged into the back of my cigarette lighter, so I want to turn it into a momentary switch, I thought I had it figured out, but I tried it and it didn't work. Any suggestions?
Old 03-12-2015, 09:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Your question is not vague enough, leave out even more information and don't post any pictures of your progress. You'll get help in no time.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:20 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Your question is not vague enough, leave out even more information and don't post any pictures of your progress. You'll get help in no time.
okay so I have figure out how to attach the wires to the back of the cigarette lighter, but when I push the cigarette lighter in it doesn't complete the circuit, and if it does maybe there isn't enough power being transferred. A lot of people with bmws and stuff turn theirs into "push button starts". Am I doing something wrong? Or do I just need to figure out how to remove the coil to reduce the resistance?
Old 03-12-2015, 11:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

You're not going to turn the actual cigarette lighter into a switch. It won't work as a switch. You need an actual switch.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee

In no way shape or form can you turn a cig lighter into a switch. Remove the Sig lighter and replace with a push button. Issue solved.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the resistance with a multimeter. Might be too high for what you are using it for. What are you using it for?
Old 03-13-2015, 12:15 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mr white
Check the resistance with a multimeter. Might be too high for what you are using it for. What are you using it for?
air horn solenoid. I was hoping I could remove the coils (remove the resistance) and just add a straight link somehow.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:16 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Bustedback
You're not going to turn the actual cigarette lighter into a switch. It won't work as a switch. You need an actual switch.
I've seen many people use them as a switch, why do you say it won't work?
Old 03-13-2015, 12:17 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by odgreen89on35s
In no way shape or form can you turn a cig lighter into a switch. Remove the Sig lighter and replace with a push button. Issue solved.
I want it to be disguised, so I was hoping I could just use this as the switch, and I've seen it used as a switch. I don't know why yall say it can't be used as a switch.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SatiricalHen
I want it to be disguised, so I was hoping I could just use this as the switch, and I've seen it used as a switch. I don't know why yall say it can't be used as a switch.
You prob seen them replace with a switch with the cap of the cig lighter gourd on top.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:34 AM
CF Veteran

Don't know what current you need on the air horn but I'd wire a relay and make the switch on engage to ground to trigger the relay. Might need to remove the coils though if it won't allow enough current to trigger the relay.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:36 AM
CF Veteran

For everyone else the cigarette lighter is just a resistor essentially, or a heat coil if that makes more sense for you. You push it in and current flows through the coil to heat up.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm pretty sure you can use the cigarette lighter as a momentary switch because pushing it in completes a circuit. Normally, it creates an intentional short circuit that heats the coil. I would recommend using it as a ground circuit to a relay connected to your horn solenoid. Run one wire off the back of your cigarette lighter to a ground and the other to the ground post on a relay connected to your air horn solenoid. When you push the lighter in it will complete the circuit to ground (through the coil) and sound the horn. I would not use the cigarette lighter circuit to power your horn.

The one problem you may have is that the lighter is designed to remain in the depressed position until heat causes it to release. You'll have to defeat that thermal mechanism so that it springs back out when you release it.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:25 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by F1Addict
I'm pretty sure you can use the cigarette lighter as a momentary switch because pushing it in completes a circuit. Normally, it creates an intentional short circuit that heats the coil. I would recommend using it as a ground circuit to a relay connected to your horn solenoid. Run one wire off the back of your cigarette lighter to a ground and the other to the ground post on a relay connected to your air horn solenoid. When you push the lighter in it will complete the circuit to ground (through the coil) and sound the horn. I would not use the cigarette lighter circuit to power your horn. The one problem you may have is that the lighter is designed to remain in the depressed position until heat causes it to release. You'll have to defeat that thermal mechanism so that it springs back out when you release it.
I already pushed out the buttons that hold it in, so it doesn't stay in anymore
Old 03-13-2015, 07:26 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mr white
Don't know what current you need on the air horn but I'd wire a relay and make the switch on engage to ground to trigger the relay. Might need to remove the coils though if it won't allow enough current to trigger the relay.
alright, I'll try it on the ground when I get some time, and see if it works

Quick Reply: Cigarette lighter switch