Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Electrical Issues - help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Electrical Issues - help!

Just bought an 02 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7

Power windows dont work. Checked wires in door and someone has previously repaired the black wire. Have Not checked for power there yet.

Windshield wipers dont work. Haven't checked anything yet.

Most importantly, the dual zone HVAC system doesn't blow. It blew once or twice for a minute or 2, then quit, Now it wont blow at all. Indicators light up and display works, but nothing blows. Checked for power at the blower and the control module under the dash, and there's no power anywhere.

Where do I start? Are any of these related? When I first hooked the battery up, the headlights stayed on and wouldn't turn off no matter what I did. THe chime dinged like I had the the lights on even though they were switched off. Does Not do this any more, all of the sudden. ALso at first with the headlight issue, the gauges and lights did not work. They work now.

HELP!
Old 07-29-2016, 06:26 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

hi Adam - sounds like multiple common issues that these jeeps have. you have to start with one system and troubleshoot until you find the problem. i dont think its only one thing that is causing all your issues.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

Hi Adam. Wondering what your electrical level of skill is. I would recommend being pretty proficient with a vom.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know my way around a voltmeter and electrical.

I messed with it yesterday.

EVIC is blank. Odometer is blank.

Power is getting to the constant and switched power on the EVIC.

If I try and do the EVIC self diagnostic, it quickly flashed the software version and then goes blank again. I'm thinking its tied into the EVIC. Maybe a new EVIC will solve all my problems? Going to go junkyard shopping.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Your not going to like this but I would take mine to a dealership might be the cheapest way in the long run as you have so many at one time to deal with.
Old 08-08-2016, 03:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

No guts, No glory, Adam! Have at it. Best repairs are the ones you make yourself.
Dealer to fix it? Perish the very thought!!!! Stealer will do nothing but vacuum out your wallet. What is a EVIC? Being an '02 I admit am not familiar with the system but it's probably a variation of the BCM, Body Control Module? that I have in my 97. I got one at the boneyard for $10 before I fixed it with a schematic pinout diagram of the BCM and my voltmeter. Door key switches were bad and tricking it into thinking the door was constantly being unlocked, very common problem with that year and likely beyond. Google is your friend here, that, and your VOM.