Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Door handles and steering wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 10:04 PM
HP2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: pair of 99s
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Door handles and steering wheels

So, I've got a couple of 1st generation ZJs and I've noticed that some of the door don't really "pop" when you push the button in. They unlatch, but if you don't pull on the door, you wouldn't know it has unlatched. Any way to restore that original feel the them?

Steering wheels, most XJs this old have fragged steering wheels. At a minimum, they are worn ragged. Suggestions on how to improve their looks and feel with using and slip on, oversized steering wheel cover or replacing the whole thing?
Old 02-20-2017, 04:23 AM

Model: Cherokee

The doors probably need new weatherstripping. When the WS gets old it loses its springiness and while it will still keep out the rain it won't exert pressure on the door when it is closed like it did when it was new. I use leather lace on steering wheel covers. They look good and feel good in your hands especially on real cold mornings. They will add thickness to ther wheel but you get used to it pretty quick.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:51 AM
HP2

New weatherstripping, hmmm. Okay.

Whose lace on covers do you use for steering wheels? I don't mind it being a bit thicker, but some of these monsterous plastic slip on covers just don't cut it for me.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:17 PM

Model: Cherokee

I never paid any attention to the manufacturer of the wheel covers. The ones I use are just a sleeve that covers only the ring part of the wheel that your hands grip, not the spoke part or the center section. You can get them from wally world or just about any parts store. just make sure they are leather because the plastic/vinyl ones will deteriorate fast and they stick to your hands on hot days. The leather is only going to add about a quarter inch total to the thickness of the wheel and that isn't much. The center section and spokes or the steering wheel can be refinished with vinyl spray paint if they look realy bad, or you can order a new wheel from the dealership for a few hundred dollars.

Last edited by Cleman Simpson; 02-25-2017 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:22 PM
HP2

Follow up for others who may search this; there is a hex head bolt that controls the throw on the latch release assembly that can be accessed on the door when it is open. It may be behind a plug, mine was not, but there is a small slot in all doors to access this bolt. All four doors have them. By adjusting this bolt, you can alter how soon or late the latch releases. I was able to shorten the throw which allowed the release lever to disengage sooner and allow the door to pop open again. I suspect over time, it was pounded back in its slot and was not consistently releasing.