Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > Grand Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 06-19-2011, 07:23 PM   #1

View yamifj1200's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Default 1997 jeep grand cherokee 4.0 problems

Hello folks, New to the group here.
I am having a problem with my 1997 jeep grand cherokee with a 4.0 liter engine. The jeep has 197.000 miles and had been running fine.

Yesterday while driving home from work at a steady 65 mph the engine shut down. No miss fires, no stumble it just shut off. I drifted to the shoulder of the road and tried to restart the engine. All the electronics gauges, stereo and interior lights worked fine. The engine cranked over just fine, strong battery but would not start. No check engine light was on. After a 15 minute wait I was able to the start the engine again.

Once home I checked the easy items, battery connections, wiring connections in the engine compartment, fuses and I noticed there was a relay for the fuel pump. I swapped out that relay with the one for the starter. I was able to restart the engine and run it for 30 minutes with out an issue.

Today I drove it to the parts store today to replace the relay I thought was bad and I was unable to start the engine again. I don't have a check engine light and my cheap odb II found no codes.

I hate taking it to the dealer, but at this point I dont know what direction to turn. It could very well be the fuel pump, but the fuel rail on the motor was full of fuel and under pressure. It could be the crank sensor but I have no way to check it.

I look forward to hearing what the experts here think.

I appreciate the help..

Eric M
yamifj1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:53 PM   #2

View 72gremlinkid's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee

Hello,
It sounds like you need a new camshaft position sensor. It is a sensor inside the distributor. If you research that on the forum here you will see lots of problems of it shutting off randomly then being able to restart it due to this sensor being bad. It is a common problem with these jeeps. Throw a new sensor in and get to 200k!
72gremlinkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:46 PM   #3

Cherokee

Great thanks for the quick reply. Thats good news.

Eric M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gremlinkid View Post
Hello,
It sounds like you need a new camshaft position sensor. It is a sensor inside the distributor. If you research that on the forum here you will see lots of problems of it shutting off randomly then being able to restart it due to this sensor being bad. It is a common problem with these jeeps. Throw a new sensor in and get to 200k!
Old 06-20-2011, 07:12 PM   #4

Cherokee
Default Ratts....

I installed a brand new cam position sensor and it does just what it did before. Oh well on to the next part of the ignition.

On my Cen-Tech ODBII I now get a code of P0320 according to the cen tech manual it descibes this code as an 'Ignition/Dist Engine Speed Input Circuit Malfuntion"

I am at a loss and will be towing it to the dealer.. I hate to but I need my jeep running again..

Eric M
Old 06-20-2011, 08:07 PM   #5
CF Veteran

View tiwvr1's Photo Album My Photos
1994 Cherokee

Crank sensor, another very common problem. Even if it isnt bad, replace it with a acual jeep part, not aftermarket
tiwvr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:36 PM   #6

View asoto's Photo Album My Photos
1997 Grand Cherokee

had same problem for days. buy a can of carburetor cleaner remove filter cover and spray clean inside and around the butterfly to remove gumk, wipe all gook off and restart engine while running spray more cleaner inside. this should help you, it helped me. reply to asoto
asoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:39 PM   #7

View asoto's Photo Album My Photos
1997 Grand Cherokee

asoto left you a suggestion. please read may help you.
asoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:38 AM   #8

View 4Doors's Photo Album My Photos
1999 Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoto View Post
asoto left you a suggestion. please read may help you.
Does asoto always refer to himself in 3rd person? Does he perhaps have another login name that he uses to give himself virtual props but he forgot which name he was logged in under?

4Doors recommends that you consider your fuel pump. He thinks it would be wise to check your pressure. He knows that sometimes when they get hot they will shut off, but after they cool down a bit they will work just fine.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:28 AM   #9

View jeeptech40's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee

when the vehicle wont start have u noticed if the voltage gauge or fuel gauges r flat/inop if so with the key on go to the passengers side of the engine compartment near the rear of the block is the connector for the crank sensor dissconnect and check gauges again if they return to normal with sensor dissconnected then the crank sensor is shorted and pulling down the 5volt ref circuts replace and should be fine
jeeptech40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:40 PM   #10

Cherokee
Default Running great again

Thanks to all who responded to my questions. It turned out to be the crankshaft sensor. Its been replaced and Im happy to be driving my old jeep again. Thanks again to all who helped. Great group here..
Thanks again..

Eric M
Old 10-06-2011, 01:46 PM   #11

View bryanbluett's Photo Album My Photos
1997 Cherokee
Default 1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.0

Hi, I have a problem, My jeep would not start and i found that the battery terminals were corroded, so I cleaned the wires and replaced the battery clamps. The jeep started up with no problems but then the gauge panel stopped working. the only thing that works on it is the lights, and symbols. I removed gauge panel-no blown tracings, checked all fuzes-good, missing air bag model from under the drivers seat though, have checked relays and can not find the problem.... Help!
bryanbluett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:46 PM

submit to reddit