Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Babajeep build thread a 2000 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2K
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 with Mustang fuel injectors; 60mm Throttle Body;
Default Babajeep build thread a 2000 XJ

Babajeep is starting his build up now that the weather is changing here in Nor-Cal.

I already started with Mustang fuel injectors ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SIX-N...item1e628acfdb ) for some improved power but not any MPGs so far (still have not gone through the 50 warm up cycles yet)

I am going for a lift and new tires after most everything else is done.

The plan:
  • Do some performance upgrades
  • Winch, recovery and safety
  • Cooling upgrades ( it will be summer buy then)
  • Lift and Tires
  • Re-gear and move from LSD to lunch box locker
I want to make a good DD and weekend warrior without doing a hack a jeep thing by cutting it into a who gives a s*** how it looks I can bash all the rocks I want.

Also, my question is this: is it more of a driving challenge to run 32" tires and run more trails or is it better to run 35" tires and only have my driving skill tested on the Rubicon or other class 8+trails?

Last edited by Skipper; 04-02-2011 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Added Pics
Old 03-31-2011, 11:13 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

If you want a good DD id stick with 32"s.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: l6 242

looks like you have good plan for your xj.
the mustang injectors fit right in? and is the link for real, six injectors for that price seems ridiculously low.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by LeRoy90laredo
looks like you have good plan for your xj.
the mustang injectors fit right in? and is the link for real, six injectors for that price seems ridiculously low.
Yes the Mustang injectors are a direct fit http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...ad.php?t=92236 just pop them in and reset your computer. I have been watching these on Ebay for a few months and they are the real thing and work great.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/fue...-34178/index4/
Old 04-05-2011, 11:25 PM

Year: 1996

Hey, cant wait to see your build progress. Get some pictures up! For your question, I would much rather be the guy with 32's that astounds everyone. That and you're opening the proverbial a can of worms with bigger tires.

You should show me some wheeling spots down there, up here I'll be waiting for the snow to melt for the next 2 months.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by SKidder
Hey, cant wait to see your build progress. Get some pictures up! For your question, I would much rather be the guy with 32's that astounds everyone. That and you're opening the proverbial a can of worms with bigger tires.

You should show me some wheeling spots down there, up here I'll be waiting for the snow to melt for the next 2 months.
Love to do some wheeling when the white stuff is gone.

Know a guy with 38's and he has taken a challenging trail and said it is now "no problem with his big tires. And he is right. So what is the point? OK I'm done.

Just ordered a Back Bone Bumper System from Mark at Detours http://detoursusa.com/xjbackbone.php and it should be here in a few weeks. He builds everyone to order, no back stock. Makes me feel more goes into it when it is done that way.

Next question: What winch (not Warn) should I get for it?
Old 04-07-2011, 07:52 PM

I have my Custom 4x4 double tube rock sliders on http://www.custom4x4fabrication.com/armor.html and will have pictures of them this weekend. I did not think of taking pictures of the installation as it is pretty straight forward.

Now a friend (I am new to this area of Calif) told me that there is some good wheeling just 5 minutes away and two or three others places close by.

In the day this was a strip mining area and it left a treasure trove of places to go wheeling off road right where I live. This is the best news I have had since I moved here. A little wet now but soon, very soon my pretty.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:20 PM

Sounds interesting, let us know how it is when you go and take pictures.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by SKidder
Sounds interesting, let us know how it is when you go and take pictures.
I will take some pictures SKidder and if the wheeling is half interesting maybe we can pull you down from the snow country so you can check them out.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:15 PM

That sounds like a plan
Old 04-10-2011, 12:13 AM

Here are some pictures with my Custom 4x4 double tube rock sliders on http://www.custom4x4fabrication.com/armor.html

Protection, Safety, Performance, then Lift and Tires.
I already don't like this plan.
How do you make the pictures bigger? OK now I get it.

Last edited by Skipper; 04-10-2011 at 10:22 AM. Reason: New Pictures, I hope.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:59 AM

I fixed the broken drivers seat left over from the PO. I was getting real tired of the Gangster lean.

The seat just has three spot welds holding a cross bar in the back of the seat in place and since this was a State of California DOI vehicle I suspect that they were getting in and out of the Jeep all day causing it to fatigue.

I just don't thing of doing pictures when I do these "little projects" but in hindsight I should.

Well you take the seat out, take the back off (you will need a trorx socket) fold back the cover at the rear of the seat exposing the broken bar and weld it in as many places as you can. Put it back together and install it. That easy. So why did I complain about it for a year before doing anything about it?

I can say it is much more comfortable now.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:07 AM

Well I just orders a Throttle Body that is bored out below the throttle plate to 60MM from Thexjfiles a member here. https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f11/bo...le-body-77044/

Dennis is a little back logged with orders because he does not have enough cores to work from. He will buy them for $18, seems like any condition, if you have any around.

I will be sending mine back making the price for the TB at $37 including shipping the TB to me. A hell of a deal IMHO.

I hope it gets here soon
Old 04-14-2011, 11:41 AM

Nice... I need protection, my rocker is already bashed in from the previous owner.

You check out that wheeling spot yet? I think i'm gonna trim my fenders this week and hopefully get some wheeling in this weekend.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:24 PM

Word is there is locked down in the "pit" right now due to people doing things they shouldn't. I did see it from the top and it look like a big, 1 mile square, pit maybe 100 yards deep. Small rocks mounded up every where with trails going over them.

Not crawling but climbing. I have a line on two other places close by but the guy that is showing me around will be in Moab from tomorrow through next weekend so I hope to hook up with him when he gets back.

I am looking for low/no money things to do to Babajeep. I should just man up and cut my fenders too. I will need a little more room for the 32's on a 3.5" lift anyway. Let me know how it goes.

Quick Reply: Babajeep build thread a 2000 XJ