Four Corners Colorado, New Mexico, Utah & Arizona

Bashing Through The Snow................

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 12:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bashing Through The Snow................

Saturday morning myself, and fellow members Andrew(ToasterOnWheels), and David(JandDGreens) planned on heading up to a network of trails around Yankee Hill............

The 3 of us met at 8am at the "Wooly Mammoth" park-n-ride lot next to I-70 near Morrison, and planned our route.......................Not knowing what the trails would look like after the recent snow storms we had got, we decided to try heading up the trails from Alice.....

We hopped on I-70, and headed west................We quickly joined the crowds of people heading up for a weekend of skiing.......

After some traffic backups around Idaho Springs, we turned off the exit for Alice, and turned onto Fall River Road..........

The road winds its way through the canyon about 5 or 6 miles to the little town of Alice...........
Just before you get into town, you make a right turn up this trail (that is simply called "Jeep Road")

I attempted to go first.................................and didn't make it very far.....................
The snow was deep, and was composed of about 4 different layers of snow-hardpack-snow-hardpack, with ice underneath......
We took turns making runs at it..............Gun-it and plow in a few feet. Back up and make another run at it..............
We eventually made it our goal to make it past the second telephone pole.

David(JandDGreens) decided to try and chain up the back tires..........................................It helped a little, but not much!

After several fun-filled hours of trudging through deep snow, testing our winches, and just Hooning it up the trail with the skinny pedal, this is as far as we made it before calling it quits........
The third telephone pole in from the main road...................About a quarter mile!

We turned the Jeeps around, and headed back down the wagon tracks we had made in the snow.................

It was a beautiful day to be out, even though it was quite cold and windy up there............The scenery, and the crisp mountain air were worth it!
We took one last group photo before heading back down the mountain towards Denver.......

Last edited by Firehawk068; 12-29-2014 at 01:05 AM.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:52 AM
No, I don't lick fish.

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

MAN! That's a clear sky! Beautiful shots... thanks for posting. I hope to make it out to CO for a wheeling/snowboarding trip one day. Mountain biking would be pretty cool too.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee

Firehawk....your posts ROCK
Old 01-04-2015, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by XJ325i
Firehawk....your posts ROCK

Thanks man!

I do feel lucky that we have so many trails, and such great scenery here in Colorado......................
Old 01-04-2015, 09:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1988

Sweet pics dude!
Old 01-08-2015, 07:55 PM

Sweet pics, love the snow blowing off the mountain tops! How often do you guys go wheeling? I just moved here in August and have yet to hit any trails near Denver. Got a couple pals with Unlimiteds that would love to wheel too.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by cerami50
Sweet pics, love the snow blowing off the mountain tops! How often do you guys go wheeling? I just moved here in August and have yet to hit any trails near Denver. Got a couple pals with Unlimiteds that would love to wheel too.
I've only gone wheeling a few times with some people from this forum, but I go wheeling all the time. I belong to a few groups.

Another member, and I are planning to go tomorrow to Slaughterhouse Gulch if you think you might want to join us.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:22 AM

I'm going boarding tomorrow but starting the first weekend in February I'll be down to go whenever.