Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 01-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #1

View mikemcd2756's Photo Album My Photos
2000 Cherokee
Default Transmission leak

Hey guys,
I'm still relatively new to this forum but have utilized it a few times and really got some great advice and gained some real knowledge. That being said, I have an issue with a slow leak in my trans that I would like to fix before it becomes a larger problem. I noticed the other day a wet spot which I assumed was oil under my truck, when I got underneath I assumed it was coming from the washer on my oil pan plug which looks like it has seen better days. So I checked the fluid, was a little low, added a quart to be safe before I get some nice weather to change out the oil and replace the plug. But as I keep looking under my truck it looks like there is a leak coming from the trans also. I checked the color of the fluid, it's not bright red but it's def not the same color as the oil. I tried to visually find the leak but couldn't see where it would be coming from. While my truck was running i checked the dipstick and was def low. Before I take it to a mechanic I'd like to know if I could trouble shoot this problem myself to know what I'm getting into or if this is something I could remedy myself. Any and all knowledge is appreciated. I attached a picture of what it looks like under there. I can take more if that would help. Thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Transmission leak-image.jpg  
mikemcd2756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
::CF Moderator::

View Gee oh Dee's Photo Album My Photos
1987 Cherokee

Could still be oil. Oil could be dripping and blowing to the rear.

Most XJs leak. They are old.

I would get under there and spray everything down with brake parts cleaner. Drive it a day, then trace where the leak is coming from.

"Build" thread:
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/pro...herokee-58248/

"...To ride a motorcycle well is like making the choice to live in this world and the next simultaneously; It is to carelessly play with hell's devils and God's angels together because anything less would be, to the moto-enthusiast, to do nothing at all..."
Gee oh Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:24 PM   #3

View kstopp's Photo Album My Photos
1993 Cherokee

^^ Agreed, solid advice. If it is not coming from any higher like valve cover, then you are either looking at a rear main seal leak, oil pan leak, or the transmission input seal leaking. It looks more like engine oil to me and would suspect the rear main. I'm not 100% sure on jeeps but you may be able to remove that lower inspection plate on the transmission and have a look around with a flashlight.
kstopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
CF Veteran

View XJGrason's Photo Album My Photos
1999 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstopp View Post
^^ Agreed, solid advice. If it is not coming from any higher like valve cover, then you are either looking at a rear main seal leak, oil pan leak, or the transmission input seal leaking. It looks more like engine oil to me and would suspect the rear main. I'm not 100% sure on jeeps but you may be able to remove that lower inspection plate on the transmission and have a look around with a flashlight.
thats the flexplate if im not mistaken...well under it is the fly wheel

-Founder of Greenville Jeep Club- https://www.facebook.com/groups/GreenvilleJeepClub/
-Follow me on Instagram!- http://instagram.com/xjgrason
XJGrason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #5

View mlepesant's Photo Album My Photos
1998 Cherokee

Difficult to say but it looks more like oil than trans fluid. Just FYI, I had the same type of symptoms, oil at the same spot, and on the oil plug. It was the distributor that was leaking. I just finished changing the seal. So in addition to valve cover and oil filter adaptor O ring, check if you see oil around your distributor.
mlepesant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:01 PM   #6

View mikemcd2756's Photo Album My Photos
2000 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlepesant View Post
Difficult to say but it looks more like oil than trans fluid. Just FYI, I had the same type of symptoms, oil at the same spot, and on the oil plug. It was the distributor that was leaking. I just finished changing the seal. So in addition to valve cover and oil filter adaptor O ring, check if you see oil around your distributor.
I agree the fluid looks more like oil than trans fluid. I didn't see much of a red color to it at all. I do not have a distributor, it's a 2000 with the coil packs. The drip is coming off the lowest point of the trans, where is the rear main seal located? Inside the oil pan?

The flex plate is inside the trans correct?
mikemcd2756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #7

View kstopp's Photo Album My Photos
1993 Cherokee

The rear main seal, seals at the end of the crankshaft. Not 100% sure on the 4.0, most engines the oil pan has to be dropped to change the seal, I'll let someone else chime in on this. The flexplate resides in the bellhousing and bolts to the crankshaft.

Flywheel is for manual trans, flex plate is for auto trans. That flimsy piece of metal at the bottom of the belhousing is only a cover so things don't get in.
kstopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:07 PM

submit to reddit

Tags
transmission leak
Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech