Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Trans cooler line issues again, question about quick connect and o rings

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 08:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Trans cooler line issues again, question about quick connect and o rings

A little while back I posted about my trans cooler lines. With the help of the forum, I was able to get them replaced and all was good until I did some trail blazing yesterday...

The plastic quick connect (or quick disconnect) clip that holds part of the line together broke. One of the trails we took was pretty rough and my guess is the vibration from driving down this trail caused the plastic clip to crack. It was a brand new clip too. When I did the lines I made sure I replaced everything to prevent any worn parts from causing issues down the line. When the clip broke, the line separated and one of the three o rings inside of the line fell out. All three o rings are different sizes. There's the outer ring, which is thin and made of hard plastic (this is the one that's lost), a ring in the middle which is thicker hard plastic, and the inner ring which is just a typical rubber o ring. I replaced the missing hard plastic ring with a rubber one but it's leaking a little. Unfortunately, finding a hard plastic o ring is more difficult than I thought. All the local auto parts stores only carry rubber ones.

So my questions are: 1. Does anyone know where I can find hard plastic o rings? Ordering them online will do if necessary. 2. Do metal quick connect clips exist? I really don't want to use another plastic one considering the one I had in there broke and caused the line to come apart. If so, where can I find them?

And lastly, has anyone else ever had this happen?
Old 05-26-2009, 12:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 lt. 242 cu.in.

Are you talking about the plastic clips that hook the line into the side of the tranny?
Cause I only have one rubber o-ring and then the plastic clip. Mine don't have any hard plastic o-rings.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by offroadnut36
Are you talking about the plastic clips that hook the line into the side of the tranny?
Cause I only have one rubber o-ring and then the plastic clip. Mine don't have any hard plastic o-rings.
hmm interesting. mine has the plastic clip that holds the two lines together, then inside of the metal end that the rubber hose is attached to there are 3 pieces; the thin hard plastic o-ring (this is what's missing), the piece of plastic that looks like an o-ring but just wider, then an actual o-ring. maybe mine has additional parts in it cause it's pepboys brand. the original lines only had a rubber o-ring in them when i took them off. right now the lines are connected with just the wider hard plastic o-ring and the rubber o-ring in the line and it's leaking a little. nothing too severe but i'd prefer it not leak at all. maybe i should have just bought the chrystler replacement lines
Old 05-26-2009, 01:22 PM
CF Veteran

I now what you are talking about now. but my new lines are different from my old ones. On my new ones the flange that the plastic clip gets clipped onto is farther up the line. So, I got rid of all the plastic spacers in the bolt on the tranny.

Are you talking about the tranny end or the radiator end of the line?

BTW I got my lines from autozone, not a dealership.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 242 inline six

I ran into that problem on my 87.I bought some new lines from napa (and ws ashured they would fit).But gee they didn't they werent even the right lines,they also didnt have the right clips either. So when they say that cherokees are all the same it aint true.I finally found the right lines (almost three weeks later) on line at TeamCheroke.com they have everything you could ever want they are an online dealer parts store. Check them out.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by mike albo
I ran into that problem on my 87.I bought some new lines from napa (and ws ashured they would fit).But gee they didn't they werent even the right lines,they also didnt have the right clips either. So when they say that cherokees are all the same it aint true.I finally found the right lines (almost three weeks later) on line at TeamCheroke.com they have everything you could ever want they are an online dealer parts store. Check them out.
awesome. i'll def check out that site. thanks for the link.

and i'm talking about the radiator end. specifically it's the line that hangs down a little lower, in between the aux fan and the mechanical fan. the other tranny line connects near the aux fan, all the way on the right side of the radiator and runs under the aux fan. i'm having no issues with this line.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:49 PM
CF Veteran

does your jeep have the factory tow package mine does ? That is for the auxilure cooler.If your talking about the passenger side,right?
Old 05-26-2009, 05:57 PM
CF Veteran

Ooops hold on, if you lay under your jeep looking up at the drivers side you have a pressure line,a return line and a bypass line.If you put the wrong lines on yes they will leak.Thats what happened to me.Just make sure they are the same and they just push on and click, thats what mine did(when I had the right lines)
Old 05-26-2009, 07:17 PM

where did you get your replacement cooler lines at? i can't find them anywhere
Old 05-26-2009, 07:55 PM

Year: 1991

i see them listed on autozones website.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:23 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Steelcityfan29
i see them listed on autozones website.
napa has them too. I think its like 45 bucks for the lower line. not sure about thwe upper, it might be a little more.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:51 AM

Engine: 4.0 straight 6

The crummy quick disconnect on the front line where it goes from soft to the hard line that enters the cooler??? Just hours ago I repaired mine. I cut the soft line off where the metal coupler ends in the soft line. Put two hose clamps on...stuffed the hard line in an inch past where the flare is. Tightened down one clamp on each side of the flare....and presto....bad engineering fixed. If you want some pics I can post. I got the idea from someone on this forum. As most of my new fixes come from this place. I love it!!
Old 05-27-2009, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by mike albo
Ooops hold on, if you lay under your jeep looking up at the drivers side you have a pressure line,a return line and a bypass line.If you put the wrong lines on yes they will leak.Thats what happened to me.Just make sure they are the same and they just push on and click, thats what mine did(when I had the right lines)
interesting, there's three of them? somehow i missed that. i replaced the sending line and return line but i'm not sure which one is which. i ordered my lines through pepboy's. i did a good comparison of the old ones versus the new ones and they're shaped the same. it's just what's inside the line that's a different (originals just had one o-ring while new ones have spacers and o-rings). if this leak keeps up maybe i'll follow your lead PK. I'm going to attempt putting two rubber o-rings in the line to see if i can get a tighter fit. Hell, I might even just leave it be. It's barely even leaking, just an occasional drip.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:50 PM

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L Inline 6

One question, I am replacing my cooler lines.
wondering if you need to install o rings inside the fitting that threads onto the transmission or are they already in the fitting if you get a new part???