Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Temp gauge stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 06:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Temp gauge stopped working

Hey guys,
I just did some major repairs, dropped and rebuilt the tranny, replaced clutch, and just got it all back together. Now for some reason my temp gauge doesn't work anymore. Also, the indicator for part time 4wd doesn't come on anymore. Any ideas why?
Thanks,
Dan
Old 05-19-2009, 07:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

when you pulled the tranny did you reconect the wire to the Tcase thats for the light its the wires toward the front of the tcase
Old 05-19-2009, 07:48 PM
Seasoned Member

I did reconnect all the wires, but they all have the same connection. Maybe I mixed them up. Thanks I'll try that. Do you know where the wire for the temp gauge is? That's what i'm really worried about. I was having some overheating issues before my repairs so I want to be able to keep an eye on my temp. Thanks
Old 05-19-2009, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1985 shell
Engine: 1996 6 cylinder Briggs & Stratton

Check the sending unit, when you lowered the trans to remove the upper bolts from the block you may have broke the sending unit- it's already close to the firewall and the extra drop can and will do damage . Hope this is the prob as it's an easy fix.. The sending unit is at the right rear of the valve cover as you look at the motor from the front of your xj, it will be a single wire that will pull straight up to remove.

Last edited by radio flyer; 05-19-2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:14 AM
Seasoned Member

I checked it out and that wire had definitely been yanked out, I reconnected it but it still doesn't work. I might have damaged the sensor. I'll pick one up from the junk yard thursday and try it out. Is there anyway to test to see if it is the sensor or the cable that is bad? I know my gauge works fine because when I start the car it moves a little, then drops back to 0.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:48 PM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0L I6

sounds like the temp sender like radio said. i did some work to mine and the same thing happened. the work i did wasnt even related in any way to it but i finished and started it up and the temp gauge didnt work. i dropped in a new sender and it worked fine. to this day i still dont know why it went bad right then. guess it was just its time to go. so check that, hopefully thats the problem cuz its a quick, easy $10 fix.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:17 PM

Year: 1985 shell
Engine: 1996 6 cylinder Briggs & Stratton

Originally Posted by Dan4governor
I checked it out and that wire had definitely been yanked out, I reconnected it but it still doesn't work. I might have damaged the sensor. I'll pick one up from the junk yard thursday and try it out. Is there anyway to test to see if it is the sensor or the cable that is bad? I know my gauge works fine because when I start the car it moves a little, then drops back to 0.
Ground the wire - if the gauge and wiring are good the needle will swing all the way to the right!
Old 05-21-2009, 12:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by radio flyer
Check the sending unit, when you lowered the trans to remove the upper bolts from the block you may have broke the sending unit- it's already close to the firewall and the extra drop can and will do damage . Hope this is the prob as it's an easy fix.. The sending unit is at the right rear of the valve cover as you look at the motor from the front of your xj, it will be a single wire that will pull straight up to remove.
The sending unit is the one that is all the way at the back of the engine just to the right (driver side) of the valve cover, right? How do I get that thing out? I can't get a ratchet socket or a wrench on it. Any ideas?
Thanks