Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Stater Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6 Cylinder, 4.0 Litre
Default Stater Issues

My Cherokee has been giving me some trouble with starting. Originally it was just a long start up and now it is really pushing it. I had AutoZone test it, they said everything is good and to just clean and put new terminals on the battery. I did that, still nothing. Battery was tested at a separate place and proved to be good. I used to bang the starter with a hammer and that would do it. I am thinking, due to that fact, that it must be the starter?

Any comments or knowledge on this issue would be appreciated. I rather throw this up before I go spending money on a starter and my time installing it if not needed.

Thanks, Mike.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

First things first... We nee to know year, model, engine size. What is it exactly doing? Does it seem like it's an elect. dealing with just the starter does the battery seem to be weak?? The more info the better.

Last edited by RTorrez1; 04-23-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:46 PM

It is a Jeep Cherokee Sport 6-Cylinder 4.0 Litre. The start is really really slow and weak. I can't exactly type what it sounds like, just a weak start is all I can really say. I believe it is the starter, but I would like to hear other ideas.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

You said you changed terminals so I am assuming connection there is clean and making good contact.
How did the wires look?, Any corrosion? How are the connections at the starter?, Check the ground wire, Clean all connections...

Ant...
Old 04-23-2014, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Ant.
You said you changed terminals so I am assuming connection there is clean and making good contact.
How did the wires look?, Any corrosion? How are the connections at the starter?, Check the ground wire, Clean all connections...

Ant...

Well, my argument against that is the fact that once the car didn't start and I hit the starter with the hammer and it started right up. I did nothing to the wires or anything else related to the whole start up system. That is why I am leaning more towards the Starter needing to be replaced. Any thoughts?
Old 04-23-2014, 09:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by MichaelTheLongo
Well, my argument against that is the fact that once the car didn't start and I hit the starter with the hammer and it started right up. I did nothing to the wires or anything else related to the whole start up system. That is why I am leaning more towards the Starter needing to be replaced. Any thoughts?
I understand that, But you could buy a starter and find out it is doing the same thing...It coust nothing to refresh the connections, It is where I would start... It very well could be your starter, But it could also be a bad/dirty/rusty connection somewhere...

Ant...
Old 04-24-2014, 07:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Start by cleaning all of the grounding points. By any chance is your starter covered with oil? If so pull it and clean it off really good make sure to clean the mounting area on the starter and the engine block since that is also a ground. You can always pull the starter and have it bench tested. Any parts store will check it for free.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1990

Check connections is the way to go on this one. My starter gave me starting issues as well, granted mine is a renix and always started a little slow. But I came to find out the ignition signal wire to the starter was actually broken off it's mount on the solenoid, so I replaced the stater, now my renix starts just as quick as a 99!

But, like it's been said. Clean connections and grounds first
Old 04-25-2014, 01:09 PM

UPDATE: I replaced the starter and all is well. Thank god, I have missed having the Jeep on the road. Thank you for the advice everyone!