Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Replacing the turn signal switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Replacing the turn signal switch

Okay heres the deal, I have a cherokee that i picked up from somebody who recovered it from a theft. For some odd reason, the theives decided to break the turn signal switch off completely, idk why but it is gone. The guy said that the windsheild wipers and everything worked before it got stolen, and i really need wipers and turn signals.

Does anybody know where I can find a step by step procedure on replacing this switch? I went to the junkyard to get a replacement switch and the only way I could see to get it out of there was to destroy the column. I dont want to do this to my column because i plan on keeping it

its a 1993 Jeep Cherokee Sport with cruise control.

any help is greatly appreciated
Old 11-09-2010, 10:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Do yourself a favor and replace the whole steering column, it would be a lot easier and cost about the same as replacing all of the broken junk.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:34 AM

Year: 1992

Not at all it's fairly simple. Make your life easier and go to Harbor freight and get a steering wheel and lock plate kit. After you get these off the switch is fairly easy to replace. The switch will set you back about $29 from advanced auto parts ant it will take about an hour to do it. There is a good pictorial write up on here somewhere.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:57 AM
Registered Users

got a part number? aftermarket switch or factory?
mines very flimsy and warn from all the use. saw one at the junk yard but i didnt see a clear way of removing and it was very cold.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by Rikkadog
Not at all it's fairly simple. Make your life easier and go to Harbor freight and get a steering wheel and lock plate kit. After you get these off the switch is fairly easy to replace. The switch will set you back about $29 from advanced auto parts ant it will take about an hour to do it. There is a good pictorial write up on here somewhere.
X2 - its not hard at all, just the lock plate is(if you don't have the lockplate kit). I can get stubborn and pisssed off and was able to pull the plate retainer ring with a couple screw drivers, but it wasn't fun. After that, a peice of cake. Getting the wire harness down the column can be tricky, but just write down which wire goes where and then pull the wire out of the harness with a needle. They have a little brass tab the hold them int the harness, press it down the wire comes out. Run the wire down a few at a time and then put the harness back together at the bottom. I didn't reinstall the lockplate retainer ring and everything still works fine on my rig. I left it off to make getting in there easy down the road. A little anti seize on the column splines will help pull the steering wheel later too. While your in there you may want to snug up the tilt mechenism bolts, I'll let you google that one:

I'm feeling nice today and googled your problem:

http://industryfigure.com/berkeley/J...eringwheel.htm
Old 11-09-2010, 01:12 PM

If you take the rubber sleeve off the column the connector will come right out. It helps to tie a string to it though so you can pull the new one back in. I got mine from Advanced Auto Parts.

Here is the post on steering column

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/ste...repairs-39494/

Last edited by Rikkadog; 11-10-2010 at 05:15 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think its 3/4 pvc... cut a peace about 1 inch long... put lock plate on... push snap ring on... shove down the plate... push the pvc over snap ring.. put nut on.. and tighten down... it will pushe the snap ring in place.....Ive done it atleast 50 times....