Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 12-12-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
JPW

View JPW's Photo Album My Photos
1997 Cherokee
Default Repair a door lock actuator?

Im having trouble with my front passenger side door lock actuator and I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to repair it instead of buying a replacement?

Here is whats going on. When locking or unlocking my doors using the automatic locks, all the door locks respond except for the front passenger side lock. Occasionally it will respond once, maybe 1/75 tries. I took the door panel off and found that the actuator makes a sound when attempting to lock/unlock but it will not move. The parts are freely movable and free of gunk and dirt. This makes me think that maybe some little gear slipped. Does anyone have experience with this?

P.S. Im a new member and I have found this forum incredibly helpful already in fixing my fog light switch and my window lock problems.
JPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:47 AM   #2

View kurtdaniel's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPW View Post
Im having trouble with my front passenger side door lock actuator and I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to repair it instead of buying a replacement?

Here is whats going on. When locking or unlocking my doors using the automatic locks, all the door locks respond except for the front passenger side lock. Occasionally it will respond once, maybe 1/75 tries. I took the door panel off and found that the actuator makes a sound when attempting to lock/unlock but it will not move. The parts are freely movable and free of gunk and dirt. This makes me think that maybe some little gear slipped. Does anyone have experience with this?

P.S. Im a new member and I have found this forum incredibly helpful already in fixing my fog light switch and my window lock problems.
There has been discussions about possible issues and that the majority of us are seeing actuator motor problems and not relays, switches etc. Ill start by saying the problem is that when you hit the switch, the locks attempt to move and after repeated attempts, the signal appears to get weaker and weaker until nothing....seems like a relay or switch.....not the case at all.

Last edited by kurtdaniel; 07-22-2010 at 03:17 AM.
kurtdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:49 AM   #3
CF Veteran

View _StationWagon_'s Photo Album My Photos
1992 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPW View Post

Here is whats going on. When locking or unlocking my doors using the automatic locks, all the door locks respond except for the front passenger side lock. ...
That's funny - I have the exact same issue with my '92. I've pretty much quit bothering with it. Not a huge issue for me. I just keep the pass side door locked manually at all times, because the way my memory is, I'll walk away thinking the Jeep is locked when that 1 door isn't.

_StationWagon_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:49 AM

submit to reddit
Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech