Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 02-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #1

View cheetos's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Default Rear Bumper...OH MY!

So I wanted to take off my rear bumper and paint it. Can someone tell me how to do this properly? Also, what are the plastic pieces above the wheels called? I feel like such a noob asking,lol. I wanted to see if I could replace them with different ones, possible?? If so, how hard is it to remove? Trying to spruce up the exterior a bit. Thanks for any help.

Also, I have read conflicting opinions on this....I plan on cleaning under the hood this weekend. Plan on covering the battery, dist., fuse box. Anything else? Engine will be cold. Just going to spray on some purple power and rinse off with hose. Going to spray on some engine cleaner as well when finished.

95' Cherokee Sport 4.0L
cheetos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
CF Veteran

View ZINGGG's Photo Album My Photos
1996 Cherokee

The rear bumper - just take off every bolt. I don't really see an incorrect way of doing it

Those plastic things above the wheels are cooled fender flares. You can upgrade em. Although they are expensive. Look up the company Bushwacker.

And when you're cleaning out the engine compartment, also cover the throttle position sensor (it's located on the throttle body) in addition to everything else you are already planning on protecting

If needed to replace, UPGRADE!!

'96 XJ 4-door Sport 4.0L, AW4, NP231, HP D30, 8.25
w/ 4" Teraflex lift, 33" BFG K/Os on Black Rock Soft 8s, 4.56 gears (thank you RWKHausSupply), APN header, Precision Auto Injectors, bored throttle body (thank you Thexjfiles), Spectre Intake, 2.5" Magnaflow catback (thank you mudfrog), Optima red top, Kelley's WiP 4 gauge battery cables (thank you 5-90), 10" cubby subwoofer (thank you KFXHellRaiser), 1-ton steering (thank you SeriousOffroad), front Crusader prerunner bumper (thank you JCR Offroad), sliders and rear bumper/tire carrier (thank you Ares Fab), Hyline Hood Vents, Truck Lite LEDs and more
ZINGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #3
Cherokee Forum Vendor

View JAYSSICKXJ's Photo Album My Photos
1997 Grand Cherokee

ok.. so how do you get at the bolts? Do you take off the bumper then the brkts? I was trying to install a hitch and broke a weld nut. Ground off the bolt head.. Now i noticed that the little flange that all the nuts are welded on is bent from my impact... I need the rear bumper off to change that flange to all bolts... Any ideas?
Old 02-19-2012, 01:20 AM   #4

View XJdryva's Photo Album My Photos
1997 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYSSICKXJ View Post
ok.. so how do you get at the bolts? Do you take off the bumper then the brkts? I was trying to install a hitch and broke a weld nut. Ground off the bolt head.. Now i noticed that the little flange that all the nuts are welded on is bent from my impact... I need the rear bumper off to change that flange to all bolts... Any ideas?
Take off those end caps on the ends of the bumper and see if you can get a gear wrench of short socket on the nuts. It will be slow going (like 1 click at a time) but with some patience you should be able to get them off
88 Comanche - drove off cliff... then back up... fail
8? Cherokee - gutted, rolled, lift kit donor
89 Cherokee - slipping chain, sold to "friend"
88 Comanche LB- ugly and sold
89 Cherokee - Totalled by kid in Boneville RIP Big Blue
94 Cherokee - salvage yard toy, sold 700% profit
99 Cherokee - bad trans, sold 1400% profit
98 Cherokee - my current toy
XJdryva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:20 AM

submit to reddit

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech