Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read GarageVendor DirectoryvBLive
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 11-21-2013, 01:21 PM   #1

View Teresa's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Default randomly shuts off

I have a 1996 Jeep cherokee. It will randomly shut off. If I wait about ten to fifteen minutes it will start back up. The check engine light keeps coming on. We were told it was the crank shaft sensor so we replaced it. It did fine for about a week and now its back to shutting off. We are at a complete loss. Any suggestions would be totally appreciated.
Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
CF Veteran

View F1Addict's Photo Album My Photos
1989 Cherokee

Having the codes scanned again would be helpful. Did you replace the CPS (Crank Position Sensor) or did you have it replaced? Some of the cheap-o Chinese brands (like Duralast) have been know to fail right out of the box. As far as I know, there aren't any 100% reliable test procedures for the H.O. CPS so getting the codes scanned will be your best option.

If it shows a CPS failure then take it back to whoever replaced it or remove the part and return it. Then go to NAPA, the dealer or any of dozens of online retailers who sell the OEM CPS and pick one up. Those are the only reliable sources.

On the other hand, there are several things that could cause random stalling, including the fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, something called "heat soak", and several other ignition and fuel related things... the codes will help unravel the mystery.

Road Trip I

Road Trip II
F1Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
CF Veteran

View F1Addict's Photo Album My Photos
1989 Cherokee

P.S. Does it sort of feel like it's running out of gas when it dies or does it just shut down?

Road Trip I

Road Trip II
F1Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #4
CF Veteran

View freegdr's Photo Album My Photos
1989 xj sport 2dr Cherokee

Very common issue with coil and the wiring check coil wire and the connector to it.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
CF Veteran

View freegdr's Photo Album My Photos
1989 xj sport 2dr Cherokee

READ...http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/1996...s-help-183021/
Old 11-22-2013, 05:36 AM   #6

Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Addict View Post
Having the codes scanned again would be helpful. Did you replace the CPS (Crank Position Sensor) or did you have it replaced? Some of the cheap-o Chinese brands (like Duralast) have been know to fail right out of the box. As far as I know, there aren't any 100% reliable test procedures for the H.O. CPS so getting the codes scanned will be your best option.

If it shows a CPS failure then take it back to whoever replaced it or remove the part and return it. Then go to NAPA, the dealer or any of dozens of online retailers who sell the OEM CPS and pick one up. Those are the only reliable sources.

On the other hand, there are several things that could cause random stalling, including the fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, something called "heat soak", and several other ignition and fuel related things... the codes will help unravel the mystery.
My husband replaced the cps. I'm not sure of the brand but we bought it from advance auto. Im hoping it will get me to work today bc there is an advance auto close by. I will definitely have it checked today. Problem is the check engine light isn't always on.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:37 AM   #7

Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Addict View Post
P.S. Does it sort of feel like it's running out of gas when it dies or does it just shut down?
Nope it just shuts off. it does have a newer fuel pump on it.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:40 AM   #8

Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by freegdr View Post
Very common issue with coil and the wiring check coil wire and the connector to it.
Would that cause the check engine light to come on?
Old 11-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #9
CF Veteran

View RTorrez1's Photo Album My Photos
1998 Sport Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
My husband replaced the cps. I'm not sure of the brand but we bought it from advance auto. Im hoping it will get me to work today bc there is an advance auto close by. I will definitely have it checked today. Problem is the check engine light isn't always on.
I am betting that your CPS is the problem once again. After market ones are pretty much garbage. You are lucky that it ran at all when the new one was put in. Many time they are bad right out of the box. You should take it back and get the OEM one from the dealer. Yes you will pay more but in the long run you will pay less because you won't have to replace it every week. Keep us updated on the outcome.

No Info, No Help!

I had a real bad and annoying sound come from my passenger seat also. But once I broke up with my girl friend it's a LOT better...

----------------------------------------------------
1992 XJ 4X4 -- Stolen and found stripped.
1994 XJ 4X4 -- T-Boned By a lady running a red light.
1995 XJ 4X4 -- Rolled over 3 time while off road.
1998 XJ 4X4 -- Still have and going strong
RTorrez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:41 AM   #10
CF Veteran

View Roler's Photo Album My Photos
1997 Cherokee

Thats what I'm leaning towards too. Despite it beng a PITA to have to redo something, in this case it's advised to re-do the job with a quality CPS and have it out of the way.
Roler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:56 AM   #11

Cherokee

This is the one we put on it http://advanceautoparts.com/mt/shop....osition+sensor
Old 11-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #12

Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTorrez1 View Post
I am betting that your CPS is the problem once again. After market ones are pretty much garbage. You are lucky that it ran at all when the new one was put in. Many time they are bad right out of the box. You should take it back and get the OEM one from the dealer. Yes you will pay more but in the long run you will pay less because you won't have to replace it every week. Keep us updated on the outcome.
It ran for about a month with no problems. Then it started doing the same thing. So far today no shutting off or check engine light.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #13
CF Veteran

1998 Sport Cherokee

Quote:
It ran for about a month with no problems. Then it started doing the same thing. So far today no shutting off or check engine light.
Just a suggestion. You may want to get ready to pick up a new one from the dealer. Also if it does die on you you might want to unplug it and plug it back in. Sometimes that will get it running again to get you home.

No Info, No Help!

I had a real bad and annoying sound come from my passenger seat also. But once I broke up with my girl friend it's a LOT better...

Old 11-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #14
Audiology Intern

View Turbo X_J's Photo Album My Photos
2001 Cherokee

Quote:
I have a 1996 Jeep cherokee. It will randomly shut off. If I wait about ten to fifteen minutes it will start back up. The check engine light keeps coming on. We were told it was the crank shaft sensor so we replaced it. It did fine for about a week and now its back to shutting off. We are at a complete loss. Any suggestions would be totally appreciated.
This is the most important clue, what is the code exactly?

Made in U.S.A. it matters.

It's OK to take it out & play with it.

" 脊椎動物門 哺乳綱 獣亜綱 食肉目
 ジャイアントパンダ科
寝不足じゃないのに目のまわりが 
クマクマだらけの熊じゃないパンダだ!"
The Pink Panda * PANDA *
Turbo X_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #15
CF Veteran

1998 Sport Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo X_J View Post
This is the most important clue, what is the code exactly?
True! I don't know why I didn't mention that too?
Take it to any parts store and they can run the codes and they will do it for free. Once you do that come back on here and list the codes that come up.

No Info, No Help!

Old 11-22-2013, 02:27 PM

submit to reddit
Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech