Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 05-08-2010, 05:45 PM   #1

View Timber Wolf's Photo Album My Photos
1991 Cherokee
Exclamation Problems associated with broken flexplate

Just wanted to throw this out there for anyone who is banging their head against the side of their Jeep. I just spent four years and lots of time and money trying to figure out what the hell was wrong with the Jeep. Went to various threads and posts trying to get info and trouble shoot all the symptoms. Had it in two seperate shops and left cussing them cause they couldn't find the problem. So what was it you ask? Well, here goes.

Started out having a problem with power loss at higher speeds. Had a hard time holding on to 55mph. Anything above that was a pipe dream. At the slightest uphill grade had to down shift to pull the hill. (BTW she is an automatic)Well with all of the downshifting and high RPMs she was overheating.

Fuel milage was terrible. The best I could get was 12mpg.

And finally the exhaust. It finally let go at the colector and I had to replace the entire system. Exhaust manifold, Oxygen sensor, Cat, and Muffler. Once all of this was done the power loss was much worse. To say that it didn't have any power would be an understatement. Put it on the rack and the new exhaust was glowing.

Well after aproximately another 10hrs. of diagnosis we droped the tranny. Why cause we wanted to see the flex plate. Sure enough the flex plate was broke, Not cracked, BROKE. Center punched clean out. Had wedged itself so that it wasn't flopping around or making any noise. This caused the timing to be off and also affected the timing advancement when needed.

Replaced the flexplate and now have all the power I need. My fuel milage has increased to 16mpg. and I couldn't be happier.

So if you are experiencing loss of power, overheating, poor fuel milage, down shifting at the slightest uphill grade. Check your flexplate!
Old 12-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #2

View mud-dog27's Photo Album My Photos
1989 Wagoneer

good info to know, have all those issues aside from the over heating, anyway im just starting the tear down to do a 5spd conversion and pulled the inspection cover to unbolt the torque convertor and go figure i see at least 3 breaks in the flex plate, should be interesting to see how bad it really is once its all off.
1989 Wagoneer LTD [XJ] , too much crap to list.....too the point where i have a list of what vehicles have been used to upgrade the weak stuff, that way i know what years and models to order for.....also the reason i do my own work cause the poor bastard at the shop wouldnt know where to start looking for parts.
mud-dog27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:46 PM   #3

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
Several Cherokee

Wow - Interesting! Who'd a thought!

It obviously was still letting the CPS get a signal, but just at the wrong time.

I wonder if broken flex plates are common on these?
rrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:07 AM   #4
CF Veteran

View DFlintstone's Photo Album My Photos
90,84 Cherokee

Yea, Interesting...good one. I suppose if you had a pic we'd know...thanks!

87-90 Renix jeep owners. This is a link to great info! http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f23/tes...itings-136452/
The book's wrong! #1 is at 5:00, viewed from the side. 153624 clockwise.
I RECOMMEND 280 155 746 INJECTORS, FOR YOUR 87-90 JEEP. 4 holes are better than one, and they won't leak out the middle, like originals CAN.
The problem is not that we have too many fools, it's that the lightning isn't distributed right." Mark Twain
DFlintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:12 AM   #5
Seasoned Member

View BajaCrawler's Photo Album My Photos
1994 Cherokee

very common problem actually. i like 5spd's

(Go Cart)2001 Mazda Miata

(Greenhorn Rebel)1994 2dr Cherokee 4.0L 5spd current build project on hold til money appears in my account.
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/my-...n-rebel-41971/
BajaCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:02 AM   #6

View mschuld1988's Photo Album My Photos
88 Cherokee

mine had broken as well as if the center had been punched out and replaced it but didnt gain anything by this and i still get 11 mpg the only thing i havnt changed is the o2 sensor thats next while i do the exhaust manifold as well but im waiting for that to arrive hopefully that helps im tired of driving that bad of a gas hog
mschuld1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:15 AM   #7

View mud-dog27's Photo Album My Photos
1989 Wagoneer

my brother works in a transmission shop and he says that cracked/broken flexplates are quite common on chrysler products.....good thing im going to the 5spd ive had enough of the issues when it comes to automatics
1989 Wagoneer LTD [XJ] , too much crap to list.....too the point where i have a list of what vehicles have been used to upgrade the weak stuff, that way i know what years and models to order for.....also the reason i do my own work cause the poor bastard at the shop wouldnt know where to start looking for parts.
mud-dog27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:15 AM

submit to reddit