Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Part # Coolant Temp Sending Unit 1996 4.0L

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Part # Coolant Temp Sending Unit 1996 4.0L

Have been to one dealer today and called a couple of others looking for a Coolant Temp Sending Unit for a 1996 4.0L Cherokee Classic with a coolant temp gauge, NOT the warning light.

Drove @ a half an hour to dealer who said he had one in stock. When I got there he showed me a part that look like it had put put in the dryer, as it was about a third of the size of the unit I have on my Cherokee. Also the connector was more rounded on the perimeter than the one on mine.

The part # for the Coolant Temperature Sending Unit that the dealer had listed for my Jeep is 56027012. Which looks like this...

A picture of what I believe to be the Coolant Temp Sending Unit on my Cherokee is below. I assume the pic below is a pic of my Coolant Temp Sending Unit, if not, please advise & ridicule me. If it is a pic of the sending unit do you know what the appropriate part number is? I was told I could bring the unit in and they could get the part number off of it, but I was hoping not to have to remove it just to get that info.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:54 PM

I blew it. I do not believe that the picture I posted is that of my Jeep's coolant temp sending unit.

Even so when I do locate it, though apparently not qualified, I am still gonna change it out...

Actually someone on another forum pointed out that it is in the back of the engine bay on the drivers side by the valve cover.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

yeah, that is your intake air temperature sensor
Old 09-16-2011, 11:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

hard to explain without me being able to get a pic cause its dark out, but go a bit towards the engine more, and look to the right, it is on the very back driver side of the engine, on top, kind of a pain to get to if i remember correctly as i changed mine out trying to solve a few issues.

that first pic you showed is correct though, i do know that, for the sending unit for the gauge.

EDIT: a quick search... here is where it is, circled.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default 91 96 temp sending unit

Hey guys, I am brand new to forum and posted this once in another thread...not sure if it was the right thread for the question. So here it is again.

Hi. I have a 91 Cherokee. I swapped the 91 engine with a 96 cherokee engine. 4.0, 6 cyl, 4x4. It runs! The temperature gauge is not working and I believe it is the sending unit. My question is which sending unit do I try to fix. The existing wiring has the little L shaped cap that goes on a bolt style sending unit. The 96 engine has a different style sending unit with a connector. When I had the wire connected to the bolt the gauge was pinned to the right. I ran a wire from the new/96 sending unit to the existing wire connector as a test and the gauge pinned back to the left.

Picture attached show both sending units and existing wire.

I would love some help coming up with a solution, please! This is my first engine swap and I have no mechanic background, but love jeeps!
Attached Thumbnails Part # Coolant Temp Sending Unit 1996 4.0L-91-96-sending-units.jpg