Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Okay so.. a bit of problems here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Okay so.. a bit of problems here.

Bear with me guys. I thought I was going to have to sell my XJ, but I couldn't bring myself to do it, instead I've decided to keep it and fix everything. I've got a bit of problems though and I need all the advice and help I can get. Here's the rundown:

Speedometer went out a month ago.
Fuel guage is out.
Clicking noise when I turn left.
Radio quit working (see below story).

Recently I pulled the headliner out, it didn't have any fabric just the plain brown board with all the fuzzy crap in it. Well, I got tired of that stuff getting in my eyes and others breathing it in, so I pulled in. Turns out I ripped wires in the process and now my dome light is out, and for whatever reason my CD Player stopped working? What does the wiring underneath the headliner have to do with my radio/CD player?

But that's all the problems as of right now. What could the cause of any of these be and how do I go about fixing them? If I choose to go to a mechanic what sort of price will I be looking at?

Thanks guys, sorry for the long post. But I need this stuff fixed before I can start modding again.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:21 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

The speedometer is just a simple cable from the tcase. When my fuel guage didn't work I would just reset my trip meter. But it also worked again after I pulled the pump out to check it.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by tampaviking
The speedometer is just a simple cable from the tcase. When my fuel guage didn't work I would just reset my trip meter. But it also worked again after I pulled the pump out to check it.
So what am I looking for in this cable to the transfercase? And yeah my fuel guage has been out since I got the Jeep, and I used the trip meter but since the entire speedometer went out my trip meter quick working as well.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.o

Check your cable to the tcase, if that is ok, maybe new cluster from jy, check fuses that power radio, prob share power with interior light wire you tore off with headliner, and the noise on left turns maybe an axle u joint?
Old 08-19-2009, 12:20 AM

So how should I go about fixing the radio problem? It's not a fuse.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Break out your Chiltons/haynes manual and start getting familiar with the schematics. Chances are that the wires you damaged are protected by the same fuse as the radio.

Regarding the speedometer, it's a safe bet that your VSS has gone out. Typically a $25 part.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Engine: 4.0 litre

Originally Posted by BamaXJ
So how should I go about fixing the radio problem? It's not a fuse.
Since it's not a fuse (are you sure?) check positive feed on the positive cable behind the radio, ignition on. If you don't have a tester use a lamp and ground it somewhere.
The fuel gauge: if the indicator is stuck over the full mark it's probably rust in the tank and over the sending unit assembly. Clean it. If it's stuck on zero it's the floater stuck in the tank.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:35 AM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

fuel guage... your sending unit... speedo... your cable or its connection points... the radio... i would say fuse but u say no so i guess pull it and make sure both power wires are hot and the ground is ground... if not then make them... all easy fixes...if it was me charging you id probly say $100 plus parts and would take most of the day for all 3
Old 08-19-2009, 08:36 AM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by huntingman2706217
fuel guage... your sending unit... speedo... your cable or its connection points... the radio... i would say fuse but u say no so i guess pull it and make sure both power wires are hot and the ground is ground... if not then make them... all easy fixes...if it was me charging you id probly say $100 plus parts and would take most of the day for all 3
but thats shade tree mechanic buddy price... shops here your lookin at bout $90 an hour plus parts