Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read GarageVendor DirectoryvBLive TSB & Recalls
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 01-03-2010, 12:57 PM   #1

View iNanni's Photo Album My Photos
1996 Cherokee
Default No turn over in cold weather.

Im still confused on what is actually wrong, so i will give you all a quick rundown of everything thats happened. First off, during the course of all this, its been about 0-15 degrees F out only. So the jeep started fine completely cold after sitting, drove it 10 mins into town, shut it off for a minute, went to start it back up and it wouldnt turn over. Thought it was the NSS cause sometimes i just throw it in neutral, that was a no go too. We tried starting it jumping off another car, still no turn over. Left it there for the night, came back in the morning, it fired right up. It fired fine a few times that day, then later that night again, took it to the store and came out, tried to start it, and nothing. We towed it home, i got it in the garage, and i was assuming neutral safety switch, that tested out fine at the connecter checking continuity when in park/neutral. At this point it wouldnt start, and my battery was at 11.8 volts so i decided to throw it on the charger. Charged it for a bit then it started to turn over, but would only start and stay running if i was easing on the gas pedal for a bit. After running it with the gas pedal it stayed running for a while. Shut it off, went to start it again, not turning over. My only idea is that the starter is going? Or something with the charging system?
Old 01-03-2010, 01:13 PM   #2

View xjroller's Photo Album My Photos
1993 Cherokee
Send a message via ICQ to xjroller

if it starts up when you give it some gas it could be your IAC. might be a little sticky or dirty and its easy to clean.
.(o)_)-__(o)_)--o-)_)__3" RC lift, 31" General Grabber AT2's, Diamond plate, Cragar D-windows, Airaid CAI, Dynomax Cat-back, Skyjacker SS, System loud enough to cover all the noises
xjroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:15 PM   #3

1996 Cherokee

No, once i got it to turn over and try to start at that point, i had to give it gas to get it started. But before that point, it wouldnt even ttry to turn over
Old 01-03-2010, 03:41 PM   #4

1996 Cherokee

Heres an update on it. i had it in the garage eventually cranking over, but only starting and running with the gas pedal. Then i went to start it up later, started right up, took it for a drive for about 10 mins,brought it back and turned it off, tried to start it back up and it wont even crank over again. I am so confused.

Last edited by iNanni; 01-03-2010 at 04:35 PM.
iNanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:25 PM   #5

View hennigm4's Photo Album My Photos
1987 Cherokee

Mine has a similar issue, no crank, but good volts, only when really cold. I hit the starter with a mallet and it starts right away, its like the starter gets frozen. Weird, I have not found the solution yet.
hennigm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:25 PM

submit to reddit
Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech