Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No start problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 11:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default No start problem

So here's the history...

96' XJ has a 3 year history of intermittently not starting. But then after you leave it alone a couple hours it starts. So 1 1/2 yr ago after noticing my reverse lights weren't coming on I zeroed in on the NSS. Cleaned it out, filled with di-electric grease and reinstalled. Reverse lights started to work again and the no start problem disappeared for 1 1/2 yr, until last month. So a month ago the XJ started doing the exact same thing again. Studied up on how to jump bypass the NSS and next time it wouldn't start lo and behold the jump trick worked. So I'm figuring ok it's the NSS. Next time (last week) it wouldn't start I tried the NSS jump trick again but no luck. WT...! So this morn it starts fine and I go out for some breakfast. Afterwards get back in 30 min later and no start. Tried the NSS bypass trick still no start. By no start I mean I turn the key to the pre-start position and I hear the fuel pump pressurize and all dash lights look normal...but then turn the key all the way forward to start and nothing happens at all. Great.

So I grab a fist sized rock laying around and knock on the starter a bit and voila! it started. Was it the starter? dunno. Was it the NSS that felt the vibration from the knocks and corrected itself? dunno. But since the NSS jump bypass didn't work I'm guessing not. So what the craps been going on these last 3 years?

One big observation when it's not gonna start (and I can almost always tell this before I turn the key all the way) is that when the key's half way turned forward the fuel pump engages and whines at a slightly lower pitch and takes just slightly longer to reach pressurization. Then when I turn the key full forward nothing happens. But when it does decide to start, the fuel pump whines at a slightly higher pitch during pressurization and does it slightly faster. Not sure how this can be used to diagnose what's going on but the slower fuel pump whine is in direct correlation with it not starting.

Recent cleaning of the batter terminals and leads have had no effect.

Tested the reverse lights earlier today and they responded quickly something like 10 times in a row when shifting in and out of reverse.

Last clue is that this no starting behavior began again about a month ago the day after it got a full tuneup from the coil to the plugs all mopar parts.

So, any ideas on what I'm looking at here? I'm all ears.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bradleyheathhays

So I grab a fist sized rock laying around and knock on the starter a bit and voila! it started.

Classic for a failing starter.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Radi
Classic for a failing starter.

Agreed!
If it does it again you can get to it from the top with a hammer handle or something similar.

Last edited by Kingfisher; 04-22-2014 at 05:46 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987

X2-I think they get a flat spot on the armature. Like a roulette wheel, sometimes you get lucky and it will start if it lands on the good spot. I would think you'd here the solenoid click though. Could it be your ignition switch or starter relay?
Old 04-22-2014, 06:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by Kingfisher
Agreed!
If it does it again you can get to it from the top with a hammer handle or something similar.
x3 ...
Old 04-22-2014, 07:21 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

What does the voltmeter read when you go to Start position?

Got leaking oil filter adapter seals that have coated your starter in oil?
Old 04-22-2014, 08:19 AM
Seasoned Member

Thanks for the input everyone. It certainly does seem like it's the starter.

But yes! cruiser I've got a leaky valve gasket that's I've been putting off for a long while, and the starter is def coated with oil. I'll go ahead and change the gasket out now so hopefully that'll fix it, but pls tell me how this effects the starter. Maybe the oil's shorting it out somehow? After I replace the valve cover gasket should I try to clean the oil off the engine and maybe even remove the starter and clean it out too?

As for the voltage I haven't noticed. You mean reading on the dash or reading using a voltmeter probing somewhere?
Old 04-22-2014, 08:36 AM

Oil gets in the starter and gunks it all up. Is that technical enough?

LOL.

I have disassembled the starters and cleaned the innards with Brake Kleen numerous times.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:38 AM

From what I was told the starter is weather proof and oil going on it doesn't affect it one bit. I had a starter messing with me for the longest time then finally quit. Seems the starters on the XJs goes crazy before finally giving out. The NSS shouldn't be your issue. Don't go with a reman cause it won't be too long before you have to get another one spend the little extra $ on a goid one and you'll have another 15-20 years without having to worry about it.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by 97xjbrian
From what I was told the starter is weather proof and oil going on it doesn't affect it one bit. I had a starter messing with me for the longest time then finally quit. Seems the starters on the XJs goes crazy before finally giving out. The NSS shouldn't be your issue. Don't go with a reman cause it won't be too long before you have to get another one spend the little extra $ on a goid one and you'll have another 15-20 years without having to worry about it.
So let me get this straight. Someone TOLD you the starters were weatherproof....

I, on the other hand have cleaned up numerous starters that had failed form having oil leaked on them. The inside of these starters were caked with oil residue. I cleaned them up, and they worked for years afterwards, and now I don't know what I'm talking about?
Old 04-22-2014, 09:02 AM

Hey your on here asking for help I'm giving advice HELPING out. If you don't like it then don't run with it no need to get all defensive. If I'm wrong then it's some wrong information I picked up along the way.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by 97xjbrian
Hey your on here asking for help I'm giving advice HELPING out. If you don't like it then don't run with it no need to get all defensive. If I'm wrong then it's some wrong information I picked up along the way.
Are you okay?

I am not asking for help here. Someone else is. I gave them some sound advice based on actual experience over decades. You contradicted that advice with some hearsay. I'm only defensive of the original poster, making sure he doesn't get sent down a rabbit trail. You can expect a response from me. I don't tolerate wrong "HELPFUL" advice.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:34 AM

Whoops got confused with your reply that's why. Oh well if your right then your right.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Replaced valve cover gasket yesterday so hopefully that'll stop the oil from getting into the starter.

Sounds like I might need to clean my starter out too. What's best way to do that cruiser? Get it out take it apart and use brake cleaner?
Old 04-23-2014, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by bradleyheathhays
Replaced valve cover gasket yesterday so hopefully that'll stop the oil from getting into the starter.

Sounds like I might need to clean my starter out too. What's best way to do that cruiser? Get it out take it apart and use brake cleaner?
Yep. Note how it comes apart. It's real simple.

Quick Reply: No start problem