Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Leaf main eyebolt size

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 12:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Leaf main eyebolt size

I've tried searching but haven't found anything. I'm preparing to replace my leafs pretty soon and want to buy new main eyebolts but don't know what the size is. The head is a 21mm. Anybody replace theirs know what size I need? Thanks
Old 10-02-2011, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I've replaced the REAR LEAF SPRINGS in a '98 Cherokee Sport and can perhaps provide the info you asked about.

The front fixed eye of the rear leaf spring uses an attaching bolt with a hex head which is a available from your friendly Chrysler dealer under part number 34202118 The thread spec. is M 14-2.0 and it is a Class 9.8 hardened fastener. Do not substitue any other fasteners in place of the O.E.M. part, since there are no subsitutes acceptable.

The same part number is used for attaching the shackle end eye of the rear leaf spring to it's respective shackle.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:49 PM

hey thanks! guess i'll head over to the dealership and pick them up.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:54 AM

Hi John,

Just wanted to mention another bit of information for your project. My dealer had to get the bolts for me overnight from their distribution warehouse in Ohio.

When you get them, you will easily see that the threads have a strip of "Lock-Tight" compound already applied to them. This, of course, is to prevent the bolts from backing out of the chassis capture nut once you've screwed them into the chassis. This thread locking compound was also placed on the bolt threads in the Chrysler factory when the vehicle was assembled and is also the reason most people have difficulties when the time comes for them to remove those eye bolts for a spring replacement project.

My point is, the key to removing the old eye bolts for a spring replacement is the application of heat to the old bolt in order to melt/undo the thread locking compound. Most people do not have the tourch equipment to get the bolts hot enought or just don't know that the thread locking compound exists on the old part. The heat will also weaken the rubber bushings, but since you are also replacing with new bushings, no harm is done.

My second point is, this is really not a drive way repair, although many people do it that way. I hope it works out good for you.

Webb
Old 10-04-2011, 08:49 AM

Thanks for the info. I checked at the dealer yesturday about getting the bolts and they told me I also needed the nut too. And they said the bolt was only 125mm long which is about 5". I measured the bolt in the jeep at about 6.5". So I'm not sure they were giving me right information. If the bolts are M14x2.0 then what's the length? And do I really need a nut for it?
Old 10-04-2011, 11:08 AM

If the bolts are M14x2.0 then what's the length? And do I really need a nut for it?

Hi MachRanger :

Let's see, you want to know the length of the spring eye attaching bolt, Part Number 34202118 ? I have one right here so I'll measure it while you wait.

The entire bolt from end to end = 135 MM (5.40")

The shank from under the Hex Head flange to the end = 120 MM (4.75")

Do you need the Hex Nut? Answer; The particular M14X2.0 bolt which we've discussed is used at three locations per spring when doing a rear leaf spring replacement, for;

1) Attaching the front "fixed eye" to the capture nut which is welded into the uni-body,

2) Attaching the rear "shackle eye" to the lower hole of the spring shackle and is held in place with a hex head nut, and

3) Attaching the rear spring shackle, thru the top hole in the spring shackle, to a capture nut which is welded into the uni-body.

If everything goes as the design engineers intended, a replacement leaf spring project would require only one REPLACEMENT M14X20 Hex Head nut per side (spring); and only then if you are not able to salvage the existing nut/s or were uncompfortable about reusing the originals. If either capture nuts break loose from their respective welds to the uni-body, then you may need additional hex head nuts of the M14X20 size, remembering these fasteners are all Class 9.8.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:58 PM

That sounds like the length the dealership told me it was too. So I guess I'll go back and order them. Maybe I'll go ahead and get the nuts too in case the captured nut pops out. I'm definetly gonna use a torch to heat everything up to loosen it.

I love planning for projects like this. Doing the research, getting the parts. Some projects and mods don't turn out as good as I'd hoped but it's still fun working on the old jeep. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:56 PM

Default So

how did the job go? I'm planning on doing this in the next couple of weeks on my 98. Very concerned about breaking/snapping some of those bolts...