Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

key stuck in ignition

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 03:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: jasper reman 4.0
Default key stuck in ignition

since i bought it i have to give the auto trans shifter a slight push forward after turning key to off postion to rotate fully back to remove key.now it will not rotate far enough to remove is there a mecanisim i can remove to eliminate this.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by one4fester
since i bought it i have to give the auto trans shifter a slight push forward after turning key to off postion to rotate fully back to remove key.now it will not rotate far enough to remove is there a mecanisim i can remove to eliminate this.

you could remove the safety cable that connects between the shifter and the steering column. it keeps you from removing the key when in gear.

then you'd take the connector for the safety cable on the column, drill a small hole in the plastic above it, and use a sip-tie to keep it in the up position, which will keep the key turn-able.

I do this on auto tilt columns in my jeeps...they're the only ones I install if I can help it, because I hate the 5 speed tumbler lock that you have to use an extra finger for to disengage the key.

oh, is it a 95 or newer? my way only works on GM steering columns which were 94 and older.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90

Originally Posted by JeepCoMJ
you could remove the safety cable that connects between the shifter and the steering column. it keeps you from removing the key when in gear.

then you'd take the connector for the safety cable on the column, drill a small hole in the plastic above it, and use a sip-tie to keep it in the up position, which will keep the key turn-able.

I do this on auto tilt columns in my jeeps...they're the only ones I install if I can help it, because I hate the 5 speed tumbler lock that you have to use an extra finger for to disengage the key.

oh, is it a 95 or newer? my way only works on GM steering columns which were 94 and older.
Be glad you aren't using a Ford column which requires your other hand....
Old 12-22-2008, 12:52 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: jasper reman 4.0

its an 88 iwill pull it apart thanks
Old 07-11-2009, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by JeepCoMJ

hello,sorry to rejuvenate an old thread but im having this same problem and im looking for this plastic connector is it inside the column or under the dash
Old 07-12-2009, 11:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1987

it's part of the column. this only works on a 1994 and prior cherokee with gm style column

should be on the right side of the column. right around 2 o'clock were you looking at a clock.