Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

How to remove 97+ Cherokee headliner?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 00'
Model: Cherokee
Engine: l6 4.0l 242.c.i.
Default How to remove 97+ Cherokee headliner?

My headliner has pretty much bit the dust and about 80% of it is hanging. I was jw what it requires to take it out and does anybody have some pics of what it looks like without the headliner in? Cuz if it looks fine im not even gonna bother putting it back in.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L I6 OHV 12V FI Engine

I wish i could help my headliner is also in rough shape, but i dont want to just start taking things apart without instructions. Hope you dont mind if I keep an eye on this thread.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:37 PM

Feel free man
Old 10-08-2011, 08:38 PM

It really isn't as hard as you think, I can get one in and out in under an hour. All you have to do is remove all the side plastic/metal mouldings that run around them, remove the screws that hold the hand grips (two torx screws under the caps of the handlebar) and it will be way easier if you also remove the rear top seat belt torx bolts (theyre huge). I was at a junkyard and forgot to bring that big of a torx to take the rear seatbelt bolts out, so all i did was tear the headliner a little underneat the bolt and slid it over it. You also obviously have to take off the sunvisors (3 philips screws and then one screw for the holder on the opposite end) and the dome lights. Make sure to disconnect all the wiring.

And there you go, it's really that simple. Kind of hard to explain, maybe someone else has a link or can explain in simpler english terms lol.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

edit: beat me to it while i was typing and finding pics xjdanja2

Remove the "oh crap" handles with a torx bit (size 10 i think), the visors (3 philips screws each), the upper rear seat belt bolts (torx size 40 or 45 i think), and the trim along the ceiling stating at the back. Pull out your dome lights (front and rear) pop off the dome light lenses (front is held on with 2 bolts, then slide it forward to unfasten it form the roof; rear just needs to be popped out of the sound bar). From there, you can just pull the headliner out. Mine was sagging pretty bad and rather than spend the money on headliner glue and cloth that will just start sagging again at some point, I left the headliner out and used 2 cans of rubberized undercoating on the roof. I put the sound bar back in (including the rear dome light) and used a couple of self tapping screws to hold it in place. The front dome I did away with and snagged a rear view mirror out of a late 90's GM car that has the map lights. Spliced the wiring and hooked it up and I'm good to go.
pics of the roof with the undercoating:

Last edited by no rdplz; 10-08-2011 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L I6 OHV 12V FI Engine

Originally Posted by no rdplz
edit: beat me to it while i was typing and finding pics xjdanja2

Remove the "oh crap" handles with a torx bit (size 10 i think), the visors (3 philips screws each), the upper rear seat belt bolts (torx size 40 or 45 i think), and the trim along the ceiling stating at the back. Pull out your dome lights (front and rear) pop off the dome light lenses (front is held on with 2 bolts, then slide it forward to unfasten it form the roof; rear just needs to be popped out of the sound bar). From there, you can just pull the headliner out. Mine was sagging pretty bad and rather than spend the money on headliner glue and cloth that will just start sagging again at some point, I left the headliner out and used 2 cans of rubberized undercoating on the roof. I put the sound bar back in (including the rear dome light) and used a couple of self tapping screws to hold it in place. The front dome I did away with and snagged a rear view mirror out of a late 90's GM car that has the map lights. Spliced the wiring and hooked it up and I'm good to go.
pics of the roof with the undercoating:
That looks pretty cool. Does it sound any louder while driving at highway speed?
Old 10-08-2011, 09:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

not really. only thing I've really noticed sound wise is it's louder when I close the doors.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:22 PM

Year: 1994

Its easy as eating pie.... cost me bout 30 bucks to do mine .... about 4 hours if ur in a hurry .... it started raining so mine was out for 4 days till it quit raining so i could put it back in .... I have pics on my build page...
Old 10-08-2011, 09:35 PM

Interesting, well thanks I may get started on that soon now.