Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Hard Starting Cherokee -Help-

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Hard Starting Cherokee -Help-

Hello
I have a 99 Cherokee with a 4.0 and for the past year it has been harder and harder to start. The motor has to spin for around 7 seconds to crank and then it idles rough untill you rev it a few times. After is starts it runs like new.

I have replaced the ususal suspects, cap, rotor, wires, plugs and even went as far as replacing the injectors and fuel pump. About 3 years ago it died on me while tring to leave work, so I changed out the crank switch & coil in the parking lot. I have also replace both O2 sensors in the past.

Last week the cat converter pluged up. I thought that has been the problem. So I cut it off and replaced it with a straight pipe and no change in the starting.

Does anyone have any other ideas.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:54 AM

Year: 01
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by karl von
Hello
I have a 99 Cherokee with a 4.0 and for the past year it has been harder and harder to start. The motor has to spin for around 7 seconds to crank and then it idles rough untill you rev it a few times. After is starts it runs like new.

I have replaced the ususal suspects, cap, rotor, wires, plugs and even went as far as replacing the injectors and fuel pump. About 3 years ago it died on me while tring to leave work, so I changed out the crank switch & coil in the parking lot. I have also replace both O2 sensors in the past.

Last week the cat converter pluged up. I thought that has been the problem. So I cut it off and replaced it with a straight pipe and no change in the starting.

Does anyone have any other ideas.
Some one will give you help soon this guy is a spammer tryin to **** everyone off he is acting like a toolbag little kid just wait man someone will help you out and welcome to the site
Old 05-17-2009, 09:29 AM

Thanks, I have read the thread about the fuel regulators & ground strap. I am going to add a extra ground and might go ahead and replace the regulator. Also does anyone know if the TPS is adjustabe on the 99 models ?
Old 02-07-2010, 03:48 AM

it has been a while since my initial post but I have had the fuel pump unit replaced and still have the hard start problems. It seems to have similar issues others are experiencing on the board. You have to turn the engine over several times to get it to fire up. So far I have replaced:

fuel pump unit, cap, rotor, wires, coil, TPS, O2 sensors, MAP sensor, fuel injectors.

The starter speed seems to be fine and not dragging, so I assume the battery & starter are fine. The check engine light does not come on but once in a while the air bag light will come on and go off, but that seems unrelated. Once it does crank, it runs great. I am going to get a fuel gauge and check the pressure but does anyone have any other ideas ?
Old 02-07-2010, 07:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6

i was going to say check the fuel pressure. i think mine has that issue because everything else seems fine and the only thing i cannot check right now is fuel pressure.

is there a check valve in the fuel line to keep pressure from bleeding off when you turn the vehicle off? i know my bmws have that and when it stops working it takes a bit of time to build pressure back up.