Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read GarageVendor DirectoryvBLive
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 02-24-2010, 10:36 PM   #1
CF Veteran

View 89Laredo's Photo Album My Photos
1989 Cherokee
Default Free Front Axle CAD Bypass (-91 Writeup)

I figured this would be useful with all the questions around lately. Mods, if you find it "worthy" you can move it to the writeup section.

I got tired of not having 4wd today and decided to lock my axle disconnect over. This locks the 2 pc passenger side axle together essentially making it like the 91+ models with the 1pc axle. This way you will not have to wonder if your front axle is locked in just put it in 4wd and go!

It is very easy to do and I would say it takes about an hour.
The only tools required are a 11mm socket, jack, some gasket maker, gear oil, and something to get the c-clips on/off.
Jack up the passengers side and locate your CAD assembly. It is the weird looking piece on the passenger side axle tube with three vacuum lines running to it. Yours (hopefully) wont be as dirty.

Click the image to open in full size.
Next step is to put a catch can underneath it, get your 11mm wrench/ratchet/whatever and loosen the bottom two bolts a few turns. Allow most/all of the gear oil to run out (a couple ounces). You can now remove all four bolts.

Once you have the disconnect assembly off, clean it up and get something around to remove the C-clip. I honestly think the removal of the C-clip was the hardest part. Be careful as it WILL go flying and be hard to find.

Move the shift fork over past where the clip usually rides and then reinstall the clip. Your shift fork is now in the "locked" position.

For the next step, go back out to your jeep. You will need to move the locking collar over into the "locked" position. You may have to rotate the tire to get the splines to line up. You will know you have it if the driveshaft spins when you rotate the passengers side tire.

Clean the mating surfaces of the shift motor and axle disconnect area. Install a thin bead of RTV or gasket maker of your choice. (I got away without using it, but its highly recommended)

Install the shift motor being sure the fork lines up with the collar. Tighten the 4 bolts in a criss-cross or hex pattern a little at a time being sure not to tighten them too much and strip the holes out.

You are done! Check your gear oil before your first ride, you may need to add a couple ounces since some was lost when the CAD assembly was taken off. I plugged the vacuum lines with some screws, but Im not sure if my 4wd light comes on now.

So far I have had no bad vibes or extra noise from the front driveshaft rotating. Keep in mind this is supposed to be a "temporary" fix, but I have heard of people running this way for years. My 4wd now works like it should and I am very happy overall with it.

Note: pictures where taken from Google, and a few where taken from Dodger889's writeup on Jeepforum.com
I had PMed Dodger at the time but have not received a response.

Last edited by 89Laredo; 02-24-2010 at 10:45 PM.
89Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:23 AM   #2
Seasoned Member

View dougy_fresh's Photo Album My Photos
1986 Cherokee

break a bolt?

i may do this if my actuator doesnt work.
dougy_fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:31 AM   #3
CF Veteran

View 89Laredo's Photo Album My Photos
1989 Cherokee

Nope, my bolts held up fine. Theyre not on very tight anyway.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
CF Veteran

View caged's Photo Album My Photos
1990 Cherokee

that's nice, but you're gonna want something a little stronger to hold that collar over. that clip won't do it on it's own. you can use a pile of washers to fill the gap so the collar won't pop over, snapping the clip under pressure.
1997 tj 2 inch bb, 33 trxus, trailhead customs tube fenders, titan 10k winch
1999 tj 2 inch bb, 2 inch bl, 33 mtr
1949 cj3a
all plated, insured and driven

OF4WD #3875
caged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:47 PM

submit to reddit
Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech