Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Dash cluster lights not working, could it be a fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 08:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Dash cluster lights not working, could it be a fuse?

Hey all,

I have a 95 Cherokee Sport that I just purchased and have found that none of the dash lights work (where the speedometer/tac is AND heating/cooling controls). There's been some debate whether or not the headlights/taillights are tied into the same circuit (and therefore same fuse) as the dash lights. Unfortunately, I don't have a diagram for the fuse box so really two things would be helpful here. First, does anyone know for sure if the dash lights are on their own circuit? The dome lights work by the way (not sure if that matters). Secondly, does anyone know where I could find a diagram of the fuse box? I googled it and couldn't find a damn thing. I also have a Haines manual but that book seems to be pretty useless unless I'm trying to fix a mechanical problem.

Thanks so much.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:28 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999

I have the exact same proplem you are having. Hopefully one of the Wise Men on this forum will help us out.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:35 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

The fuse your looking for is marked "INST" and should be #19 in the fuse panel. Also depending on what year jeep you have I know where to get FSM's, just PM me and Ill give you the link...Tj
Old 04-09-2009, 10:08 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by chilixj99
I have the exact same proplem you are having. Hopefully one of the Wise Men on this forum will help us out.
I had the same thing happen to my 99 about 3 years ago. went out and bought a new light switch and it still did it. took dash apart to start chasing wires and found that the main plug was corroded. cleaned it up and it fixed the problem.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by jinx
I had the same thing happen to my 99 about 3 years ago. went out and bought a new light switch and it still did it. took dash apart to start chasing wires and found that the main plug was corroded. cleaned it up and it fixed the problem.
when I get home from work today, I'll be doing some fuse checking and wiring chasing myself. I'll let you guys know what I find for future reference.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:22 AM

Year: 2000

had this problem a couple of weeks ago while installing an aftermarket cd deck
the dash lights and taillights are regulated somehow through the stock radio, i ended up splicing the orange wire and the black/orange or yellow wire behind the deck with the accessory wire...it gives power to both at all times the vehicle is on, but its not fuse related...at least wasn't for me
hope this helps
Old 04-10-2009, 08:27 AM

Issue resolved. It was the fuse, but the fuse kept popping because their was a short. Found the short, taped up the exposed wire, and replaced the fuse (again lol). All is good!

TJ, thanks again. It was #19.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:58 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by loligator
Issue resolved. It was the fuse, but the fuse kept popping because their was a short. Found the short, taped up the exposed wire, and replaced the fuse (again lol). All is good!

long shot but im having a problem with this wondering where you found your short. so i dont have to chase everything around. anyone else feel like chiming in with the common things to check feel free. im electrically challenged. but i keep blowing fuse #19.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:30 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Mendax13
long shot but im having a problem with this wondering where you found your short. so i dont have to chase everything around. anyone else feel like chiming in with the common things to check feel free. im electrically challenged. but i keep blowing fuse #19.
The likelihood of shorts in a lighting circuit being the same are slim.

Do you have a trailer wiring harness on your Jeep? If so, take a look there first.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by cruiser54

The likelihood of shorts in a lighting circuit being the same are slim.

Do you have a trailer wiring harness on your Jeep? If so, take a look there first.
We did have some sorta thing maybe trailer wiring harness hooked up in the rear. I will look at that but I don't think thats it. If a bulb blew in the shifter indicator could that do it? I'll check the harness obviously cause it's an easy start but if that's not it what would cause it. Normally it's a 5amp fuse it blew 2 of those and a 7.5 amp
Old 11-30-2012, 06:20 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

What could cause it is a chafed wire in about 50 feet of wiring harness, corroded bulb sockets, corroded plugs in the harness, improperly wired aftermarket stereo, etc etc.

Read the following and take note of the comment on the lighting harness plug

I suggest unplugging EVERY electrical connection in the engine bay you can find, whether engine related or not, and spraying it out with a good electronics cleaner, visually inspecting the terminals making sure they haven’t retracted into the plastic holder, and then plugging it back together. There’s a critical 10-pin connector for the front lighting system located in front of the air cleaner and behind the left headlight assembly. Don’t miss that one. Also be sure that the connectors to the ballast resistor mounted near the air cleaner housing are clean and tight.
ALL of the relays should be removed, the terminals wire-brushed until shiny, and the receptacles sprayed out with contact cleaner. Then plug them back in. I do this on every Renix Jeep I purchase or work on for someone else.
Revised 07/23/2012
Old 12-03-2012, 05:43 PM

well we found it. it was the cigar lighter bulb was crossed with the ground that cigar lighter has been nothing but problems since we bought the thing.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:36 PM

Default Where?

Originally Posted by loligator

Long shot here,
Where was the short located??
Old 06-02-2017, 12:00 PM

Default 1994 Jeep Cherokee sport

I am having the same problem but with a 94 can anyone tell me what I can do to fix it
Old 11-20-2017, 10:07 PM

Engine: 4.0 High Output

Originally Posted by Zach Branham
I am having the same problem but with a 94 can anyone tell me what I can do to fix it
Figure anything out?

Quick Reply: Dash cluster lights not working, could it be a fuse?