Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Brake and blinker fuse keeps blowing. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Brake and blinker fuse keeps blowing. Help!

I took my jeep out on a few trails a couple weeks ago, and ever since then, my blinker and brake fuse keeps blowing. I've replaced the fuse several times to figure out if it blows when I hit the brakes or when I turn on the turn signals. Sometimes it will work for a few days, sometimes it will blow a minute after I start it up. I've replaced all of the lights, and it seemed to be working fine until a week later. I've also taken apart the wiring harness panel, and cleaned that out. But I found a ground next to my battery and fuse box that seemed to be disconnected. I tried putting that back in place with electrical tape, but no luck. Should I replace that ground? Any help is greatly appreciated. This is driving me nuts!
Old 07-01-2015, 12:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999

Sound like classic signs that the blinker fluid is getting low, the canister needs to be pressurized in order for the electrons to be conducted though.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:17 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by kissmybass
I took my jeep out on a few trails a couple weeks ago, and ever since then, my blinker and brake fuse keeps blowing. I've replaced the fuse several times to figure out if it blows when I hit the brakes or when I turn on the turn signals. Sometimes it will work for a few days, sometimes it will blow a minute after I start it up. I've replaced all of the lights, and it seemed to be working fine until a week later. I've also taken apart the wiring harness panel, and cleaned that out. But I found a ground next to my battery and fuse box that seemed to be disconnected. I tried putting that back in place with electrical tape, but no luck. Should I replace that ground? Any help is greatly appreciated. This is driving me nuts!
Here is how i fixed mine, YMMV

1st step is to fix the ground

2nd step is to remove the bottom part of the dash on the driver side or just reach up under the dash

3rd step look for this silver metal relay, it is they headlight delay relay
on my vehicle it was staying on causing my fuse to blow everytime I applied the brakes and turn signals at the same time it was very very hot

4th step remove the relay and see if the fuse blows, if removing the relay stops your fuse from blowing great you can leave the relay out it is not needed.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:58 PM

Your wiring may also be pinched somwhere. I had a ford truck in which i dropped the transmission to replace the slave cylinder and ended up getting some wires back in the wrong place. A few months later i wrecked it and twisted the frame a little. the wires that where put back in the wrong place where rubbed in two by the front driveshaft due to the twisted frame causing the fuel pump fuse to blow.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:26 PM

Year: 1995

XJwonderse- I already filled it up! It was down by about 1 quart. Unfortunately, that didn't work though.

Peligro. I think you just solved my problem. The fuse stopped blowing! I guess we'll see in a few days to see if it's officially fixed. Thank you!
Old 07-01-2015, 11:59 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by kissmybass
XJwonderse- I already filled it up! It was down by about 1 quart. Unfortunately, that didn't work though.

Peligro. I think you just solved my problem. The fuse stopped blowing! I guess we'll see in a few days to see if it's officially fixed. Thank you!
I'm glad I was able to save you the headache I went through when my vehicle had that problem.