Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

97 XJ TPS keeps burning out.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 97 XJ TPS keeps burning out.

Hello Everyone,

A couple months ago my 97 jeep XJ 4.0L started burning out throttle position sensors (TPS). I am currently on my 6th one and I am waiting for Advance auto to start limiting me. lol. I have gone through the procedure to test the TPS and the three wires. The Pos gets the 5V, the ground passes current and the signal wire with a new TPS read around .5V idle and up to about 3.5 to 4V full throttle. Each TPS that blows will give bad signal readings either to high or to low for example, .03V or 3.5V at idle. I have gone through testing the wires every time i place a new one in and it will read fine. the average live span for these TPS are about a week or two. I was wondering if anyone has run into this before or if they might know what can cause this. my only thoughts are maybe a bad ground on the TPS or the engine block. Maybe a faulty computer or a frayed wire that only grounds out once and a while.

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2014, 08:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

In my experience with the TPS and IAC sensors, the quality of the part i.e. manufacturer, is of utmost importance. I tried going the cheaper route on the TPS for my 96 XJ, and it lasted about two months before failing. I replaced that one with a Mopar TPS and it lasted until I sold the jeep over a year later. I replaced the TPS in my 99 XJ with a Mopar one last year and it is still doing just fine. I've had the same experience with the IAC. The cheap ones only seem to last a few months, maybe a year at best. I am not willing to put up with the headache for the sake of saving a few dollars is what I've decided.

If everything else is in good working order (like the grounds you mentioned) and your wires/circuit continually test OK when the sensors keep failing, that says to me that the sensor is of poor construction and is the root of your problem. How long did the Mopar/Chrysler TPS that came on the jeep last? That's the question that helped me most!

If I were in your position, assuming the Autozone parts aren't costing you each time here's what I'd do: disconnect, check, clean, reattach all grounds, harness connectors and the like to ensure those aren't the problem. Then if the TPS from Autozone burns out again, give up on that and order a Chrysler/Mopar TPS. I got mine from a dealership listing on Ebay and had no problems at all. Good luck!
Old 06-16-2014, 08:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

There should come from a dealer OEM if you want them to last.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the posts. I think i will find an OEM one and try that out. Maybe if I keep exchanging them since it has a lifetime warranty that company BWD will either go out of business or make a better one. lol