Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 02-12-2011, 06:48 AM   #1

View cflowe45's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Thumbs up 1998 Check Engine Light and Engine Hesitation

I have a 1998 Cherokee that I just bought. 30 miles after buying it, the check engine light came on. Put my scanner on it and the codes were for the o2 sensors. I replaced both sensors and the check engine light came back on with same codes. I did find some frayed wires on the bank one sensor harness. I fixed that, turned the light off again and same thing. Light back on, same codes. Meanwhile the jeep would have a bad hesitation for the first fiveinutes of driving. After replacing o2 sensors, plugs, wires, distributor cap, catalytic converter, the fix was a $2 part. In the fuse panel under the hood there is a 15 amp fuse that runs the o2 sensors. It was blown. Now my jeep is running perfect. No light, no hesitation and the gas milage has improved by 3 mpg. By the way it's a 4.0, automatic, 4x4. Hope this can help someone else out. I know this is a pretty common problem.
cflowe45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:05 AM   #2

View ken72's Photo Album My Photos
2001 Cherokee

It might seem like common sense but most of us are just like you. We find out what the trouble code is and we go right to turning a wrench. It is a good thought process to check your fuses first.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:18 AM   #3
CF Veteran

View tjwalker's Photo Album My Photos
1999 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflowe45 View Post
I have a 1998 Cherokee that I just bought. 30 miles after buying it, the check engine light came on. Put my scanner on it and the codes were for the o2 sensors. I replaced both sensors and the check engine light came back on with same codes. I did find some frayed wires on the bank one sensor harness. I fixed that, turned the light off again and same thing. Light back on, same codes. Meanwhile the jeep would have a bad hesitation for the first fiveinutes of driving. After replacing o2 sensors, plugs, wires, distributor cap, catalytic converter, the fix was a $2 part. In the fuse panel under the hood there is a 15 amp fuse that runs the o2 sensors. It was blown. Now my jeep is running perfect. No light, no hesitation and the gas milage has improved by 3 mpg. By the way it's a 4.0, automatic, 4x4. Hope this can help someone else out. I know this is a pretty common problem.
That fuse controls the "heater circuit" of the oxygen sensors. And yes, it is often overlooked when troubleshooting oxygen sensor codes. Don't feel bad...........

Past Jeeps: '49 Willys, '81 Scrambler, '88 Comanche

Current Jeep: 1999 XJ Sport, bone stock, daily driver.

I work on Jeeps!!
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:19 PM   #4

View mcflyXJ's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Default blown fuse replaced now heat doesnt work

this post helped me out with the o2 sensors, and your saying the o2 sensor fuse is the same for my heat. well my heat doesnt work i changed the blue 15 fuse to a new one and still no heat, any ideas?
mcflyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:18 PM   #5

View rtisan's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee

I'm having the exact same problem as the OP had above and I never would have thought to look at the fuse first. Thank you very much for posting this advice. I don't know if that's my problem or not just yet, but it's a great place to start. Thanks again!
rtisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #6
CF Veteran

View tjwalker's Photo Album My Photos
1999 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcflyXJ View Post
this post helped me out with the o2 sensors, and your saying the o2 sensor fuse is the same for my heat. well my heat doesnt work i changed the blue 15 fuse to a new one and still no heat, any ideas?
The oxygen sensor fuse is for the HEATER portion of the oxygen sensor. It doesn't have anything to do with cab heat. That is a cooling system issue.
Thermostat, cap, heater core, etc.

I recommend starting a new thread for this symptom. Give plenty of detail.

Past Jeeps: '49 Willys, '81 Scrambler, '88 Comanche

Current Jeep: 1999 XJ Sport, bone stock, daily driver.

I work on Jeeps!!
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:41 PM

submit to reddit