Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1996 XJ 4-door Front Seat Dimensions

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 02:15 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Renix 4.0
Default 1996 XJ 4-door Front Seat Dimensions for Coverking Seat Covers

I'm trying to get some front seat covers for my '96 2-door. My seats are non-power, and have built in headrests. Like this:

They said they have patterns for a 4-door with built in headrests, but not the 2-door. I'm told the 2-door and 4-door seats could be different dimensions.

Could someone with a '96 4-door with non-power seats that have built in headrests as shown in the above photo measure their front seats and provide dimensions?

Thank you.

Last edited by ElMartillo; 02-22-2017 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 02-22-2017, 04:29 PM

Default Coverking Seat Covers

I went ahead and ordered the seat covers for the front seats of a 4-door based on some dimensions provided to me from a 4-door XJ owner.

Ordered not too long after the original post, the covers came in quickly. I was out of town for a coupla months and finally had a chance to put the covers on. They fit great. If anyone is interested in these covers for their 2-door, my experience is they fit correctly.

I'll post photos within a coupla days.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I must have missed this post originally, otherwise I would have measured mine for you. I'm glad it worked out properly.

You haven't mentioned where you ordered them from in your posts. Do you have a link? I happen to be looking for some as well.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
I must have missed this post originally, otherwise I would have measured mine for you. I'm glad it worked out properly.

You haven't mentioned where you ordered them from in your posts. Do you have a link? I happen to be looking for some as well.
Ordered through JC Whitney, manufacturer is Coverking. I only ordered through JC Whitney for price. I got them for around $150 for the front seats only. The material is cordura, Coverking calls it "Ballistic", and though it's not a "tight" fit, they do fit well and the material is very durable and resistant to wear/liqids. I'm very happy with the product. I have the same covers for the front seats of my '89. I would be hesitant to order through JC Whitney again, unless I called them to order. The website is confusing, and the first time I ordered I received a rear seat cover, though I thought I ordered front seat covers. Getting my money back was a frigging nightmare, but it was eventually refunded. Not fun.

I'll post photos of the covers tomorrow.

Last edited by ElMartillo; 02-22-2017 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:26 PM
CF Veteran

Looking forward to seeing them. Thanks!
Old 02-23-2017, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ElMartillo
Ordered through JC Whitney, manufacturer is Coverking. I only ordered through JC Whitney for price. I would be hesitant to order through JC Whitney again, unless I called them to order. The website is confusing, and the first time I ordered I received a rear seat cover, though I thought I ordered front seat covers. Getting my money back was a frigging nightmare, but it was eventually refunded. Not fun.
I used to work for JC Whitney. We were a cool, family run company until US AutoParts (a huge, internet-only company) bought us in 2009 - then sent everyone packing.

Find a small local place and buy from them.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:28 PM

Ok, the photo doesn't do the covers justice, as I just installed them and they've been sitting in a box poorly folded for two months. They will conform to the seat better over time, after some use, though Coverking advertises the Ballistic covers as having a looser fit than their other covers. The material is very durable, and the covers include map pockets in the backs. Pretty good for $150. Remember they've hardly been sat on.

These are the covers in my '89 after a weeks use:

Old 02-23-2017, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

They look great. Nicely done.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:12 PM
CF Veteran

They look great. You can definitely tell they are fitted to a mold. I put some cheapy ones on, and they look terrible compared to the ones in your pics.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:47 PM

Thanks guys. Another note: the covers for the '96 were a snap to install. Took all of 10 minutes. The ones for the '89 were a little more involved, including slicing factory fabric from between the seat bottom and back part to pass the material of the cover through.