Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

88' Mild not wild build

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 03:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Followed you on Instagram, saw the picture of your jeep on the jeep cherokees page.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 248 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0

Originally Posted by SatiricalHen
Followed you on Instagram, saw the picture of your jeep on the jeep cherokees page.
Thanks buddy! I think between Cherokee and BNB i guess i'm entering the Instagram Jeep Famous group lol. Messages, Comments, likes, followers.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Like the build, Keep it up man!
Old 06-21-2016, 03:08 PM
CF Veteran

Update! So finally after weeks of helping my buddy with his Jeep we finally are done and rolled mine in. On Father's day I was getting fun update pictures of his progress as he showed me the pristine floor pan that I have. Things are moving nicely and I'm hoping to get a weekend off where we can both spend the entire day working on it. I already have a full length floor pan that drops right in so we just need to clean it up and weld the floor pan. Also I found out that my coil bracket had ended it's life while at Rausch. It knew the brackets were rotted when I bought the axle thinking i could get a couple years with them before replacing them but apparently now. Going to order TNT Coil brackets and High clearance LCA brackets while I'm replacing that area. The high clearance brackets will should give more drop in the axle and a smoother ride while also getting the arms out the way.

Gross

Better

This is the exact setup I'm looking to run. TNT coil and lca bracket. Built in tract bar and shock mounts. Shock mounts use a bolt instead of bar pins.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:24 PM
CF Veteran

Got the rockers and rest of the old floor cut out Sunday and ready for welding. Was a long and dirty day for sure. I got a great picture the next day of the new floor welded in with many plug welds that I drilled out for him. It's coming together really well so far. We have both rockers out, half the carpet pulled over, and the new floor pan in. Coil brackets should be in today and will get to that after everything. While looking the Jeep over we did discover that Rausch had ripped my motor mounts in half, not surprising as I did replace the tranny mount prior and the motor mounts were original. Also had to take a trip to the ER the next day as it would be my luck to get a metal spark to go under my full face mask while laying down and into my eye. Was a painful little dot but all removed and healing well now. Here are the pictures from that day. Full stiffeners will be in the future.

Old 06-29-2016, 05:49 PM
CF Veteran

New TNT coil and high rise lca brackets came in! They're at my buddy's where the Jeep is but it's like a small christmas getting these pictures.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:18 AM
CF Veteran

So update time. I keep my Jeep at a buddy's place and he occasionally works on it while I come over once a week on my day off to bust my ****. Last week after pulling the rear carpet out we noticed the bulk of the rear cargo floor was rotted out. Yesterday I spent the whole day cutting and hammering out the old floor and making new panels for them to be welded in. We got half the angle iron welded in where the slider will be welded to. Progress is coming and soon the 2x6s and rear panels will be welded up. I am sore today but feel great with the progress that was made yesterday. Yes, we will be dropping the tank or at least lowering it to weld the panels in. HD Offroad Stiffeners should arrive today as well.

Risky here. Used a hammer wedged between the floor and the tank to give me enough space to cut sliced in the old floor so I could chisel them out in sections.

After a long 2 hours of hammering

Some more work needed to fill in some spaces and such but not bad for free metal. The ridges in the middle will help with the structure.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:25 PM
CF Veteran

Spent my day off yesterday back at the garage. Dropped the 3/4 full gas tank in order to get the pans marked, drilled and ready for welding. Cut some more off the pans and it's pretty much ready to go. Had to leave early for a planned dinner but things are moving nicely. Remember I need to get this all done, sliders, rust, coil/lca brackets, and motor mounts all done by the 25th of August if I want to participate in OCJW. It's going to be a close call with one day off a week but I think it's still doable.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:28 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

This ugly Jeep is still alive? Great work though! From your best Canadian bud haha.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

I don't think I've seen a Cherokee with so many holes in it Doing some great work fixing her up. Are those TNT brackets the same offset as the factory for the spring placement?
Old 07-29-2016, 02:51 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by XJmember
This ugly Jeep is still alive? Great work though! From your best Canadian bud haha.
Put a puck in it! Coming on here just to check up on my build, how sweet haha.

Originally Posted by indeepwithajeep
I don't think I've seen a Cherokee with so many holes in it Doing some great work fixing her up. Are those TNT brackets the same offset as the factory for the spring placement?
Holes? It's not nearly as bad as some i've seen but yes 28 years in the Rust Belt will do that. We probably could of patched over 20 spots in the rear but it's just easier and better to cut out all the bad and replace it with one (or in this case two) sheets. The TNT brackets offer adjustments to either keep the wheelbase the same or stretch it out a couple inches. With having fixed lowers and adj. uppers it might push the axle out a little which is preferred with the 33s.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:06 PM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO I-6, 703 Injectors, Brown Dog Super Engine Mounts

save the sliders for last. There's no obstacles at OCJW that require them
Old 08-02-2016, 04:22 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by dukie564
save the sliders for last. There's no obstacles at OCJW that require them
Rockers are already cut out and ready for the slider. At worse we can skip the stiffeners and supports.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:03 AM
CF Veteran

Weekly Update!:

Got to the shop a little later than I'd like but had to do some important runs to harbor freight, tractor supply, and of course walmart.
I got the rear floor completely burnt in and ground down the plugs. But the best part of the night was getting the slider burnt in! It feels amazing seeing progress, as most of the work is just preparation. While the slider was being welded up I took the time to undercoat the rear pan before the gas tank is put back later on this week. By next week we hsould have the rear completely patched and painted.

I need another can of undercoating.

Mmmm flux core!

Last edited by unidentifiedbomb; 08-04-2016 at 08:05 AM.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:47 AM
CF Veteran

No pictures this week but was a busy day. Found out that my old gas tank has a leak at one of the corners. Might of happened as I was removing it since the hitch bent the rear corners up. Good news is that we have a parts jeep sot the tank will be swapped out with that. Did some more patch work in the corners of the cargo area and my friend welded up the new quarter panel in front of the passenger rear wheel. I removed the rest of the carpet and center console to attack the driver's side. Rust is worse then I was expecting but nothing too bad, just a nice patch under the gas/brake pedals.

I ordered AJ's DIY slider tubes to be welded on to the 2x6s, can't wait to see them show up. Shipping was almost as much as the product itself but they are two 6' tubes so I have to expect that. I wish I had more time then one day or a weekend where we could work on the jeep the whole day together, slow pace but still no time is wasted.

Quick Reply: 88' Mild not wild build