XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Smittybilt XRC rear bumper & Tire Carrier Install and Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 08:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Well I just want to leave a review of my experience with the Smittybuilt rear bumper and tire carrier.

First off, I was very very nervous about ordering this bumper after reading some of the reviews. I was dead set on the JCR bumper and then I saw this one on Ebay for 675 shipped. That price for a powdercoated tire carrier bumper with all the mounts was too much for me to pass up and I made a spur of the moment jump and bought it. (Sorry Serious!) It arrived in two days which is unheard of here and I put it on thus afternoon.

Install went smooth for me except removing the old stuff. I only had two holes that didn't line up quite right (one per side) and it just so happened that in removing the old stuff, the welded nuts on both those holes had ripped off. So I just used a large self rapper from the garage. It took me a few tries to figure out the cam system and a few more tries to get it all where I wanted it. I have a Hi Lift brand Jack and the mounts worked perfect. The instructions were almost worthless but it only took me about 2 hours start to finish (after removing all the old stuff).

So time will tell but these are my impressions. I really like the coating. I paint everything with a hammered finish and it is pretty close. It didn't scratch even though I was rough on it. Everything was completely covered. The cam system and the latching system concern me a bit... While mine does not scrape and closes perfectly with a bunch of weight on it, the concept is sketchy. We will see. The latch seems to work great, I will probably weld on some tabs so I can lock it with a padlock just in case and to deter would be hi-lift/Jerry can thieves.

All in all, initially I give it a B+ It was not bad to put together, it looks nice and functions very perfectly. Time will tell if it stays that way.

Last edited by Ianf406; 02-06-2015 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:48 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

I will also add that the tomken skid is probably the only gas tank skid that will work. It bolts to the gas tank hanger bolts and this bumper wont interfere with that.

I would also like to add that the cam system will be really cool if it works for along time. It allows you to raise or lower it depending on the weight you have on it. If you don't understand how it works/ adjust it right, The tire carrier will sag/scrape or be too high and not close. I found it to be easy to adjust when lifting the opposite side up.

As for mounting the licence plate, I am just going to make one like I did for the front that slides into the receiver hitch.

Last edited by Ianf406; 02-06-2015 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i need some help.

I cannot get my jack to mount on it for the life of me. In the instructions it says it is suppose to go across the top bar. I cannot get my jack positioned in such a way that it still allows me to open my tail gate. I have the free 58" smittybilt jack that the bumper comes with. The only way it seems to work is if it is sticking way out on the driver side.

I would rather it sit vertically like it does in some of the picture online but again it doesnt seem to fit out that way either. I assume it is a newer design that the ones where it sits vertically.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:54 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Bman11
i need some help.

I cannot get my jack to mount on it for the life of me. In the instructions it says it is suppose to go across the top bar. I cannot get my jack positioned in such a way that it still allows me to open my tail gate. I have the free 58" smittybilt jack that the bumper comes with. The only way it seems to work is if it is sticking way out on the driver side.

I would rather it sit vertically like it does in some of the picture online but again it doesnt seem to fit out that way either. I assume it is a newer design that the ones where it sits vertically.
I have no idea how you would get that large of one to mount on the top. My 48" barely fits without the door hitting it. Maybe if you took the foot off?

And yea- my Hi-Lift brand wont mount vertical either.

Other than that, bumper has been great! Taken a few whacks so far.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:39 PM

Are either of you guys still running this bumper? I'm curious as to how it has held up. Love the JCR one but again it is twice the price...
Old 03-08-2017, 03:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Dest
Are either of you guys still running this bumper? I'm curious as to how it has held up. Love the JCR one but again it is twice the price...
I've had one for about 2 years. I would go JCR next time, regardless of the price.

It's just not well made.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:46 PM

Thanks Wizard. Maybe I'll just buy the JCR in 2 stages to lessen the blow.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:49 AM

Year: 86. 94. 95. 00
Engine: CNG 4.0

Originally Posted by Dest
Thanks Wizard. Maybe I'll just buy the JCR in 2 stages to lessen the blow.
I too have had it installed for 2 plus years. It looks good and functions fine as a street rig bumber. My xj is a daily driver and fresh paint so I rarely drive off road. I have my hi lift mounted above the spare and jerry can holder. I have about 1/4 of a inch clearance to open my tailgate. My latch works fine but it rattles while driving around town I can imagine it holding up off road very long at all especially with the weight of a 33-35 inch tire and jack and cans. I have 32 inch JK wheels on mine. I got mine for 645$ shipped and I am happy with it for the price but if I build another off road xj there is no way this bumber would last. Strictly a pavement princess bumber.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 94cngXJ
I too have had it installed for 2 plus years. It looks good and functions fine as a street rig bumber. My xj is a daily driver and fresh paint so I rarely drive off road. I have my hi lift mounted above the spare and jerry can holder. I have about 1/4 of a inch clearance to open my tailgate. My latch works fine but it rattles while driving around town I can imagine it holding up off road very long at all especially with the weight of a 33-35 inch tire and jack and cans. I have 32 inch JK wheels on mine. I got mine for 645$ shipped and I am happy with it for the price but if I build another off road xj there is no way this bumber would last. Strictly a pavement princess bumber.
So you're one of those guys haha
Old 03-09-2017, 12:27 PM

Year: 86. 94. 95. 00
Engine: CNG 4.0

Originally Posted by Martlor13
So you're one of those guys haha
Ive had a few off road XJs and I am currently looking for a MJ to build but yes right now I guess I'm one of those guys. Hopefully one day I'll have the money to throw some more money into an off road XJ project.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 94cngXJ
Ive had a few off road XJs and I am currently looking for a MJ to build but yes right now I guess I'm one of those guys. Hopefully one day I'll have the money to throw some more money into an off road XJ project.
So yo have money to throw $650 on a "street right bumper", but no money for am offroad project? Haha interesting man.

I only responded to your post because yo said it was fine as a street rig bumper hahah! Like what bumper isn't? Let alone one that much hahah...all in good fun man
Old 03-10-2017, 04:09 PM

What is a bumber? Thanks for your experience 94.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:48 PM

Bought an XJ with this bumper already installed. The latch is so out of whack, I can't even open the rear tire swing...time to wrench! Any tips on getting the correct alignment with the pin and latch? ;-)
Old 06-01-2017, 03:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by kenewayne
Bought an XJ with this bumper already installed. The latch is so out of whack, I can't even open the rear tire swing...time to wrench! Any tips on getting the correct alignment with the pin and latch? ;-)
Here are the instructions. You must have it fully-loaded during the alignment.

https://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Ins...ion/146932.pdf
Old 06-05-2017, 09:14 AM

Year: 1985
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 2.8<4.0 Conversion

I don't know why some folks have such trouble with this bumper. Yes, it was a PITA to install. But when done correctly, and all adjustments made, it works great!

Quick Reply: Smittybilt XRC rear bumper & Tire Carrier Install and Review