Modified Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ,WJ & WK aftermarket tech goes here All Modified, NON-OEM tech goes here. IE:Aftermarket Lifts, Shocks, Tires, Performance, etc..

Radiator Blew!

Old 11-25-2018, 08:35 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Radiator Blew!

As the title says, rad blew while wheeling yesterday and in the most difficult spot on the trail. I was in a v-notch, just cleared a tight spot with a little more to go and like a dragon fart the rad let go bellowing steam and water. At first look it appeared that some jb weld would seal the crack but after removing the top metal strip exposing the area better it was clear that I would need to be towed out. We first tried to winch me backwards thinking that may be the easist but after that did not work we winched forward. Eventuality we got the jeep out and was towed back to the trailhead where we loaded it on a trailer to be towed home. Its good to have freinds.

Everything turned out well, but it makes a great safery reminder. Never wheel alone, have recovery gear, have recovery points (front and rear), carry tools and common repair items. For some reason none of us had JB weld so that was a fail at least on my part. I had some when we ran the Rubicon last year but i took to out with a bunch of other things after the trip. Which reminds me, prior to that trip i was thinking of replacing that plastic rad but thought it looked fine so i did not. Real glad it did not let go then that would have made the trip much more difficult for everyone.

Found an all aluminum rad and plan to order it today.

Repositioning the jeep out front after the first leg of the winching operation. Here I am almost out.

Evaluating the damage.

Toast.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)

Mine had the same problem 4 months ago I ended up needing to replace the head I have an 00 with the 0310 head I swapped out the 0310 with a 7120 from a 94 ported the exhaust ports polished exhaust and intake bored the exhaust valves and put in 350 shaved exhaust valves with an apn race header polished gasket matched intake and ported tb
Old 12-11-2018, 06:45 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee

Lot of work on that head. Notice a difference in performance?

I picked up an all aluminum rad off of ebay for 125. The trans cooler lines were not a direct fit so i picked up brake line parts from napa for the transition. Then, the tabs were .25" wider than stock so I had to drill out the support holes a little wider. Everything else fit ok. They kicked me back $20 for my troubles after I sent them an email describing the fitment issues so i was happy about that. We did a run last weekend and it seemed to be doing better than my previous rad in keeping the rig cool.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)

I picked up 46hp and 53 lbs of torque I notice some more oomph but not as much as I'd like for all that work that's mostly a gearing issue running 32s with 355 gears but I'm going to end up loosing a couple hp because I planned on a mechanical fan due to my electric fan not working right after New fan relay, temp sensor and fan it kicks on when it feels like it