Modified Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ,WJ & WK aftermarket tech goes here All Modified, NON-OEM tech goes here. IE:Aftermarket Lifts, Shocks, Tires, Performance, etc..

D30 WJ Rebuild Advice

Old 09-10-2018, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.7 V8
Default D30 WJ Rebuild Advice

Here's my situation. I have a 2001 WJ V8 with Quadra-Trac II. Currently I have a 3" lift and am running 255/75r17 tires (My hope is to switch to 285/75r16 with needed fender modification) My front axle CV boot tore a week ago. This wouldn't really be a big deal but I am going to Colorado the end of September on a mild wheeling trip and I'd like it fixed before I go there. So, here are my questions:

I would like to upgrade to better axles but the only ones I've found are quite expensive. Would I be ok replacing my worn axles with OEM replacements or would they be a liability in the future running 33s?

If I'm having the axles replaced, the mechanic recommended doing at least ball joints at the same time because the labor overlaps. Are there any other things that make sense to replace, such as hubs? Are there any worthwhile upgrades that can be done to the D30 while the axles are being replaced?

As great as an axle swap would be, I'm honestly not a hardcore offroader, nor are my pockets or skill that deep, so I see no reason to flatter myself thinking it will happen in the future. So please don't say fixing the stock axle is a waste of time.

Also, yes I did try to search and I wasn't having any luck so I figured I'd ask. If you've read this far, thank you and I hope I can get this resolved in a couple weeks.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I believe the WJ front axles are wider so you couldn't just put XJ shafts in like with a ZJ. If it was me I would get new ones with a lifetime warranty from a chain auto parts store that way if you break one you can easily find a replacement.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 480 Likes on 412 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Those boots can be replaced. However sometimes the boots cost as much as the new axle would. Kind of like brake master cyilnders and carburetor kits. However it can be done. The thing about the quadra-trac being full time is that the factory opted to put CV joints in so it would be smooth steering in corners. To maintain that you will need to stick with the CV type joints. Personally, as far as O a, concerned 33s are not going to be a problem
Old 09-11-2018, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by 00t444e
I believe the WJ front axles are wider so you couldn't just put XJ shafts in like with a ZJ. If it was me I would get new ones with a lifetime warranty from a chain auto parts store that way if you break one you can easily find a replacement.
I hadn't thought about that but I assumed that the D30 in the WJ's was different since it has specific parts. I wish it was a "common" axle.

I think you have a good point on the warranty, thank you.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
Those boots can be replaced. However sometimes the boots cost as much as the new axle would. Kind of like brake master cyilnders and carburetor kits. However it can be done. The thing about the quadra-trac being full time is that the factory opted to put CV joints in so it would be smooth steering in corners. To maintain that you will need to stick with the CV type joints. Personally, as far as O a, concerned 33s are not going to be a problem
I had thought about that, but if it was getting pulled out to change the boot, I figured I may as well replace it and the labor replacing parts as opposed to rebuilding would make it a wash. Thank you though, I did consider just boots.

I agree about the reason for the CV joints. I wish I could justify the 1300 for a set of the RCV Extreme axles, but that seems ridiculously high priced.

Thanks for your advice.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:17 PM

Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)

The d30 is the same width in zj as in wj you can put the ujoint shafts in the wj CV joint axle I would suggest seals if your doing it
Old 10-13-2018, 10:03 PM

The d30 is the same width in zj as in wj you can put the ujoint shafts in the wj CV joint axle I would suggest seals if your doing it
Old 10-14-2018, 08:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Originally Posted by riskywhiskey
You can't do that the shafts are different lengths.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:30 AM

https://youtu.be/679Fbe1wQtU. This guy swapped from ujoint to CV ... The axles are the same they eliminated the vacuum lock once they started putting in the quatra track transfer cases you can swap shafts or axles from any Jeep that's a factory d30/35 set up and it will be within a 1/8 inch of each other in length I did it on mine because I got tired of changing CV axles running 34/12.50s you can do it the axle just can't have vacuum lock if it does it won't work ..Dana didnt just change the length on an axle for ****s and giggles the d30/35 are a specific lenght for Jeep/Dakota/Nissan/Toyota/ranger same with the 40/44 and other Dana axles the only thing that changes in the bracket location and weld on hardware for model specific vehicles