Modified Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ,WJ & WK aftermarket tech goes here All Modified, NON-OEM tech goes here. IE:Aftermarket Lifts, Shocks, Tires, Performance, etc..

4wd switch and speedo problems with different transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 4wd switch and speedo problems with different transfer case

ok I have a 1995 Jeep grand cherokee LTD with a 4.0 t case says it is a 231J

My speedo does not work properly sometimes it says 30 mph sometimes it flutters and once in a great while it is dead on, this mike the odometer not work either. all aother guages work fine.
I did replace speed sensor and that did nothing.

also the "service 4wd switch" messages come on. on the VIC it also says "LO" but it only acts like it is in lo when turning sharp. I can go freeway speeds with no problem. I weent to the parts house and they sold me a new switch..... wrong one so I went back down and we looked at the pics of the one on mine, it is also wrong. It looks just like mine, same connector and same Length BUT it has more threads than mine so once installed it will not work properly and I cannot shift from 4 hi to 4 low, they cannot seem to find the correct switch. I know I cant be the only one that has this particular switch, it is not hurting anything I guess, but I just want it to be right. if unplug the switch my cruise will not work and the "service engine light comes on.... any ideas?? thanks for your time.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:29 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

The VIC in older GC's have problems with displaying false readings (my old '94 5.2L Laredo had that problem displaying SERVICE 4WD SWITCH (even when the 4WD system was working correctly), as well as DRIVER DOOR AJAR when it really wasn't), and replacing the VIC usually doesn't help, as they're fairly unreliable. I assume you have Selec-Trac? The electronic transfer cases (my 5.2L Laredo had the Quadra-Trac, which is all electronic) have issues, I'm not sure exactly what they are, but the previous owner told me he had the transfer case replaced with one from the junkyard (you may want to check there for a cheap transfer case). Selec-Trac is fully manual, and operates via cables. Have you checked to see if any of your cables are broken?

For the speedo, I would suggest just replacing the entire gauge cluster... it should swap right in because the PCM (computer) on these older Jeeps (up until 1995) doesn't need programming, so it should be Plug-'n'-Play.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:53 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I seems to me a 95 Limited should have a 249 t/case, not a 231. If he DOES have a 231, it's more than likely been transplanted and the shift lever is too long being that it's from the 249. This also may have something to do with the switch not being right. I wonder what shifter bezel it has on it.

IIRC, the ZJs never had the 231 and they were only found in XJs.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:55 AM

Default thanks,

I had suspected that maybe the t case was a different one. I will check the wrecing yard and see if I can get one, will also check the cables as well. Will also see about new cluster I had kinda thought either cluster or vic but wanted to hear from others. thanks for the help!
Old 07-05-2017, 11:26 AM
Old fart with a wrench

AFAIK, the 95 has a mechanical linkage, not cable. The cable shift didn't come out until 99 with the WJ. Also, I'll bet the parts store is giving you a switch for a 242, knowing you don't know what you're talking about, a Grand can't have a 231 according to their computer!

If the tag on the t/case says 231J, this thread should be in Modified Grand Cherokee Tech. You'd get better responses there. Why don't you run your VIN and see if your Limited came with a 249 t/case. If it did, there may be a problem with the linkage arm on the side of the t/case being too long because it came on the 249.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:07 PM

Default 231 J

I have checked with 3 dealerships running the VIN they all come back that it did come with 231 transfer case. we have ran the part number that came out, no where to found. Everyone comes up with the switch that is too long, the others either have different wires or have vacuum . The area has been looked at thoroughly several times, no evidence that any changes were made. I did not post on the modified board as I do not now that it is in fact modified.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:28 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Well, anything is possible but that's a new one on me. I was told by a salesman once that you can order a new jeep anyway you want it, meaning someone COULD have ordered it with a 231 in it for whatever reason. Maybe not now, but in 95 you could have. Have you tried a switch for a Cherokee (XJ)?
Old 07-11-2017, 10:30 PM

Default 4wd switch

Yea, it is a real puzzle parts house and dealerships show 3 different switches that cover several years and basicaly 231 and 249 t case, none look like the one I pulled out.The one they show for it would connect but has twice the threads and when installed it is too long, can't shift into 4 lo.
Thought maybe someone on here had ran into that problem and could help. Besides the speedo problem, switch and everything else I still love the jeep so will see what I can do to make it all right..
Old 07-12-2017, 02:21 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Being that I'm a toolmaker, it hit me that you could make a spacer to put under the switch to make it the same length as the old one. Maybe? I'm thinking like a piece of iron pipe cut off with a saw and filed flat and parallel to the right thickness?
Old 07-12-2017, 09:41 PM

Default 4wd switch

yep, looks like that is the only option since I can't find the one like what is in it and nobody seems to know where this one came from. I had thought about that when I first could not find the right switch but was hoping someone somewhere would have had the same problem.