Jeep Cherokee Forum

YJ clutch question

Old 08-13-2017, 11:01 AM   #1

View tacklebox's Photo Album My Photos
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default YJ clutch question

Hey fellas looking to pick up an 88 YJ today. It has this whine that the owner says started after a recent clutch replacement. It sounds like the this is in 4 lo. That kinda whine. Beings I have a broken shoulder it's tough for me to look around too much pre purchase and the Jeep is a pretty good deal and just what I've been looking for.

Any ideas what could cause the whine? Has about 4K on a rebuilt 4.2 / man trans. Spartan locker up front
tacklebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:27 PM   #2
CF Veteran

View dave1123's Photo Album My Photos
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I'm thinking the throwout bearing is not clearing the clutch plate enough and is spinning. If that's it, it won't last long.
dave1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:42 PM   #3

My first thought was throw out bearing as well just wasn't too sure that could make that much of a whine. I've never done a clutch kit in a YJ but done many in my last XJ. Never seemed to me like there was that much a guy could screw up.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:47 PM   #4

Sounds like he's been driving it like this for a few weeks now although it's not a DD. Just weekend jaunts around town, nearby back road whatever. This fella seems like a pretty straight shooter, he's a bit of an older fella.

IDK. Think I'll go take it for another spin and see if I can get a better understanding of what's up. Hate to pass on this one. It's pretty much just what I been after. Even comes with extra set of axles, wheels, has a winch. It still needs some things which is fine cause I'll wanna make it mine but I don't want to be rebuilding a transmission. And frankly can't for the next couple months with my busted up shoulder.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:49 PM   #5

I don't mind throwing in another clutch kit. Can get that done with bribing a buddy with some beer but wouldn't want to get deeper than that relying on someone for help.
Jeep in question
Attached Thumbnails
YJ clutch question-photo11.jpg  
Old 08-13-2017, 01:50 PM   #6

Going to have a peek at this CJ7 this afternoon as well before making a decision
Attached Thumbnails
YJ clutch question-photo451.jpg  
Old 08-13-2017, 07:04 PM   #7
CF Veteran

View dave1123's Photo Album My Photos
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Well, to be honest, I've never owned a car with a hydraulic clutch so I may be wrong on that. IDK if there is an adjustment on the throwout bearing link.
dave1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:02 PM   #8
asphalt cowboy

View s346k's Photo Album My Photos
Year: 1997

throw out comes to mind here, as well. if the bearing is still touching the pressure plate fingers with clutch engaged it will eventually eat through them. does the whine stop if you disengage the clutch? (push the pedal down).
s346k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
throw out comes to mind here, as well. if the bearing is still touching the pressure plate fingers with clutch engaged it will eventually eat through them. does the whine stop if you disengage the clutch? (push the pedal down).

Yes, pedal depressed there is no noise. I drove it around for a couple hours last night. Pretty sure you guys are correct. Owner has a complete clutch kit with receipt ready for install but its a crap kit IMO. Think I will return it and get something better. Picking the YJ up on Thurs afternoon. Gotta take my truck so I can haul home all the extras, Got a set of chrome wheels (which I'll likely sell) D35 with welded 3.55's, a D30 with 3.55's (out of an XJ), soft top, half doors w/soft uppers, clutch kit and a couple boxes of other misc parts and of course the full doors and hard top pictured. I looked thru his receipt pile last night and looks like he has about $9500 in the thing.

So I will drag it home and straight into my garage. Get the clutch sorted out and will be stripping interior. Repaint / bed line floors and plastics and considering going tan outside with black top. Remount the KC's (kind hokey ATM) and probably do something with the bumpers, refinish or replace. On the fence about the winch as well. Its an 8,000lb Badlands. PO says he has had real good luck with em but IDK. Anyway, I'm rambling lol
Old 08-15-2017, 02:10 PM   #10

View dans98xj's Photo Album My Photos
Year: 1998

That YJ probably still has the Puego Trans in it. I would make sure when you change the clutch that you take a look at the trans too. those have had some problems with twisting of the main shaft and counter shaft due to less webbing on the case.
dans98xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:11 PM   #11

Yep has a BA 10/5
Old 08-17-2017, 08:10 AM   #12

Got er home last night. Bit of an adventure along the way. Decided to take some dirt roads the last few miles of the trip. Road I took is usually pretty decent. Wife was behind me in the mini van. Came flying over the first hill to find s huge mud hole. Guess the farmer had tore stuff up idk

Anyway buried Jeep and although wife tried to get stopped she ended up stuck as well. Lol. She wasn't real pleased. BUT threw Jeep in 4hi, engaged the front spartan and drove right out. Sweet then drove around and winched out van. Lmao so got to test it out pretty good before even getting it home although kind of a ***** with a broken shoulder. It did good and I'm happy 😊