Worst weather you've ever driven or been in

Worst weather you've ever driven or been in

Old 07-17-2018, 01:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default Worst weather you've ever driven or been in

So we've got this storm coming in I'm up here in Rhode Island I already been looking at the radar and from what I can tell it's going to be pretty decent storm there are already reports of hail and I'm expecting that a town just north of the Border got hit with a tornado. So it got me wondering what's the worst weather you've ever driven/been in.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:43 PM
Seasoned Member

My hands down worst storm I've driven through has to be when we got hit with a nasty tropical storm last year. Roads were flooding like crazy, trees were snapping like toothpicks and power was out for some people for 5 days. I had a tree fall right in front of me which went through the house opposite it. Hands down the scariest thing I've driven through
Old 07-17-2018, 03:02 PM
Beach Bum

Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default storm wheeling

Old 07-17-2018, 05:42 PM
CF Veteran

Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Mostly just white out blizzards or rain so hard you can't even see a few inches past your windshield. Literally feels like someone is blasting your car with a fire hose. Had a bolt of lightning hit a tree about 15ft away while I was stopped at a red light, and I swear I could see a shockwave
​​​​​​
​​​​​
Old 07-17-2018, 07:19 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

I have been in some white outs, but the weirdest one was when I was coming north towards Salt Lake City. It was snowing really large flakes, largest I have ever seen. They stuck to the headlights and the heat from the light bulbs was not enough to melt it off faster than it was coming down. It was late at night also. We ended up along with everyone else turning off our headlights and just using our running lights. Since everyone did it and there were no bright lights, it was enough to see well and we continued on.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:25 PM
Great White Jeep

Year: Jeepless

I have 2 bad experiences that I remember.

First one was driving through CO in the middle of a blizzard. It was bad enough that I pulled over and let the worst part pass. Couldnt see anything, -20 wind chill and lots of white fluffy stuff. Went snow mobile riding during the same blizzard. Never been so cold in my life!

Other bad experience was driving through the Idaho mountains. Got caught in a bad thunder storm. Crazy lightning, bad winds and rain drops/hail that were the size of baseballs. Again, pulled over and let it pass.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by investinwaffles View Post
Mostly just white out blizzards or rain so hard you can't even see a few inches past your windshield. Literally feels like someone is blasting your car with a fire hose. Had a bolt of lightning hit a tree about 15ft away while I was stopped at a red light, and I swear I could see a shockwave
​​​​​​
​​​​​
Thats insane about the lightning, snow sucks especially when it's 3 feet of it
Old 07-17-2018, 07:39 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)

Yeah, that was me too. Whiteout blizzard so bad you could only tell where the road was by the gap in the trees! Aim for the middle and hope to stay out of the ditches! Rain so bad you were hydroplaning at 40 mph! High winds making the 5 ton box truck I was driving go sideways. My worst storm I've been in was a hurricane at sea making the 40,000 ton carrier I was on bob around like a rubber duck in a bathtub! I pulled the flight deck security watch that night checking on chained down aircraft. 2 guys with flashlights tied together with 20 feet of rope! The rope was so if one of us went over the side, the other guy could save him. Yeah, right! It's 50 feet to the waterline! At one point, lightning hit the mast! You could feel the ionization path before the bolt, then it knocked both of us off our feet! All my hair stood straight up and I felt the crawlies on my arms. I swear the bolt was green! It DID knock out the radar for a few minutes. I'm not sure what happened to my flashlight. AND we still had another hour on watch. We checked in with the Master-at-Arms, got another flashlight, then back out on deck. The only thing the Chief said was, "You guys want to mop up the water you brought in?" then starting laughing! Screw you, A-hole! "All secure, Chief!" The ship was big enough to ride over 2 waves, then crash hard into the 3rd, sending seawater over the deck. We were hanging on to a plane each time that happened. I really thought I was going to die that night!
Old 07-17-2018, 07:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by SteveMongr View Post

I have lots of questions about this
Old 07-17-2018, 07:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ View Post
I have been in some white outs, but the weirdest one was when I was coming north towards Salt Lake City. It was snowing really large flakes, largest I have ever seen. They stuck to the headlights and the heat from the light bulbs was not enough to melt it off faster than it was coming down. It was late at night also. We ended up along with everyone else turning off our headlights and just using our running lights. Since everyone did it and there were no bright lights, it was enough to see well and we continued on.
Thats just amazing you didn't hit anything!
Old 07-17-2018, 07:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 5-Speed View Post
I have 2 bad experiences that I remember.

First one was driving through CO in the middle of a blizzard. It was bad enough that I pulled over and let the worst part pass. Couldnt see anything, -20 wind chill and lots of white fluffy stuff. Went snow mobile riding during the same blizzard. Never been so cold in my life!

Other bad experience was driving through the Idaho mountains. Got caught in a bad thunder storm. Crazy lightning, bad winds and rain drops/hail that were the size of baseballs. Again, pulled over and let it pass.
Your lucky the thunderstorm didn't turn into a tornado
Old 07-17-2018, 07:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by dave1123 View Post
Yeah, that was me too. Whiteout blizzard so bad you could only tell where the road was by the gap in the trees! Aim for the middle and hope to stay out of the ditches! Rain so bad you were hydroplaning at 40 mph! High winds making the 5 ton box truck I was driving go sideways. My worst storm I've been in was a hurricane at sea making the 40,000 ton carrier I was on bob around like a rubber duck in a bathtub! I pulled the flight deck security watch that night checking on chained down aircraft. 2 guys with flashlights tied together with 20 feet of rope! The rope was so if one of us went over the side, the other guy could save him. Yeah, right! It's 50 feet to the waterline! At one point, lightning hit the mast! You could feel the ionization path before the bolt, then it knocked both of us off our feet! All my hair stood straight up and I felt the crawlies on my arms. I swear the bolt was green! It DID knock out the radar for a few minutes. I'm not sure what happened to my flashlight. AND we still had another hour on watch. We checked in with the Master-at-Arms, got another flashlight, then back out on deck. The only thing the Chief said was, "You guys want to mop up the water you brought in?" then starting laughing! Screw you, A-hole! "All secure, Chief!" The ship was big enough to ride over 2 waves, then crash hard into the 3rd, sending seawater over the deck. We were hanging on to a plane each time that happened. I really thought I was going to die that night!
***** of steel right there holy moly!!!
Old 07-17-2018, 07:50 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Ironside93 View Post
Thats just amazing you didn't hit anything!
THIS is exactly why I love amber fog lights! It gives you light without being blinding.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by dave1123 View Post
THIS is exactly why I love amber fog lights! It gives you light without being blinding.
My father swears by those!!!
Old 07-17-2018, 07:55 PM
CF Veteran

I'm 73, sonny! LOL!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Worst weather you've ever driven or been in

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: