Who knows their drones ?

Old 12-25-2018, 09:54 PM

Model: Cherokee
Default Who knows their drones ?

So I was at Best Buy this weekend to buy my kids tablets for Christmas . I couldnít help but keep going back to the drone aisle . I keep seeing them and Iím usually not a tech nerd type of guy but I see so many possibilities with a drone . I am curious what a good beginner drone is with video ? Iíve had a few suggestions but want more . Are the business opportunities as infinite as I think they could be ? For starters : real estate photography and videography , construction inspection with an emphasis on roof and gutter which Iím told is pretty prevalent already , scouting land without tramping all over it for either a perspective buyer or for hunting or other purposes , etc etc .
Old 12-26-2018, 02:11 AM
TIME TO GET SCHWIFTY

Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

I've been eyeballing drones for a while now. The technology changes so fast, I haven't pulled the trigger on one yet...my niece got her boyfriend one of the gopro ones, and it's pretty awesome, but if it were my money, right now, I'd get a Mavic 2. Good mid level rig. The Yuneec hexacopter looked pretty cool to.

As far as using it for a business, it's my understanding that you need to be licensed and registered with several agencies, like FAA, and FCC, but it might depend on local government too, it's kinda the wild, wild west right now, as it's a relatively new niche. Start checking out some of the drone forums, I'm sure there's a ton of information, and may be easier to pinpoint what you want and need relative to your needs and budget.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:15 AM
TIME TO GET SCHWIFTY

https://commercialdronepilots.com

One dedicated to commercial pilots
Old 12-26-2018, 08:07 AM

I have a friend with a DJI phantom 4 I think it is called who suggested it or Parrot . Another friend has a force1 much cheaper and days it works fine for a beginner . I came across a craigslist ad last night after I posted this with a business as drone for hire to do aerial photography of farms . I think youíd have to get a lot of experience in because battery life is fairly limited from what Iíve seen !
Old 12-27-2018, 10:18 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

The more expensive ones (like the Phantom or the Parrot) do have some internal smarts and are kinda hard to crash, but you might want to start with a $30 dumb drone from Amazon and wreck it a few times to get the feel for the controls before going and buying a "good" one.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by wizardpc View Post
The more expensive ones (like the Phantom or the Parrot) do have some internal smarts and are kinda hard to crash, but you might want to start with a $30 dumb drone from Amazon and wreck it a few times to get the feel for the controls before going and buying a "good" one.
this is what Iím thinking ! Iíll probably wait til it warms up a bit before I pick one up .
Old 12-27-2018, 12:06 PM

Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I've had several of the under $50 kind and they do take some time to get used to - they are a lot of fun (especially if you have a couple of friends that have them). They are not nearly as stable and don't rely on GPS for anything; but the ones I've had did have a return to home function that was, ummmm, OK.
Once you get into the several hundred dollar and up market you do get a lot for your money like return to home, low battery return to home, auto gyro/stabilization and of course the ability to fly them much farther distances and the POV.

Some day I'll decide to get one.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:58 PM
CF Veteran

Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by Scott91370 View Post
did have a return to home function that was, ummmm, OK.
#PagingMr.Duma

Old 12-27-2018, 04:06 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J View Post
#PagingMr.Duma
Guess I'm missing something.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:42 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Year: 2000 sport
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

The DJI mini mavic pro is the number one on the market right now. With all the good stuff and more..gps, person tracking, point to point, home, and alot of cool stuff

If you want a drone..Pay up some money and get one with all the tricks,,it will be worth it.The Yuneec has stabling issues and vibration on the arms that make it oscillate. That is why I returned the one I picked up.
Back in the day I went with Blade 350 qx3.. It didn't have airport block or altitude lock out or all that stuff..
it was raw you can fly it anywhere and at any height.. DJI has airport blocking (wont fly if near airport) also has altitude block for some areas.. People have reported being locked out of flight for no real purpose or reason.
But who knows..the operator might of been to blame.

Also You dont have to register drones anymore if you are just using the drone for fun..
But if you want to make money you have to pay and register it as a commercial business drone.

Here are some drones vids I did. Best viewed in HD

Old 12-27-2018, 04:42 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J View Post
#PagingMr.Duma
LOL...Yep,, home functions on the drones work great if on land.. Dont take a drone on a boat,,lift off with the drone and allow the boat to drift 30 feet.

Now your home is 30 feet away from the boat.. The drone still has home marked in its memory from where it lifted off from .Not the boat floating around.

I didnt catch it in time when I noticed what was happening.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:39 PM
Great White Jeep

Year: Jeepless

The Mavic drone is what I have too. It is awesome. My dad who has no idea how to use anything electronic is able to fly it with ease. I really like the return to home feature as you can be miles away, hit a button and have the drone land right when it took off from. Plus having the "maps" feature helps not get lost when it goes out of sight. I agree with what you said, spend more money up front for a good drone and you will be more then happy.

And how did you not catch the drone from going in the water!? You have to tell it that its ok to land otherwise it hovers a few feet off the ground until you give it the ok. And you know you can cancel the return to home at any point right? Drone in the water is an expensive mistake!
Old 12-27-2018, 07:04 PM

I just need one of you guys to upgrade so I can buy yours at a discount I think it would be really neat while we build our house to do time lapse of the build too! Honestly I just spent way too much for Christmas that I didnít have or Iíd just order one now !
Old 12-27-2018, 07:42 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Originally Posted by 5-Speed View Post
The Mavic drone is what I have too. It is awesome. My dad who has no idea how to use anything electronic is able to fly it with ease. I really like the return to home feature as you can be miles away, hit a button and have the drone land right when it took off from. Plus having the "maps" feature helps not get lost when it goes out of sight. I agree with what you said, spend more money up front for a good drone and you will be more then happy.

And how did you not catch the drone from going in the water!? You have to tell it that its ok to land otherwise it hovers a few feet off the ground until you give it the ok. And you know you can cancel the return to home at any point right? Drone in the water is an expensive mistake!
The Blade 350 qx3 ap..Lands without you needing to say its okay to land... It will come home if it loses signal from the controller or controller dies..
Land on its own. Those vids I posted are done with the Blade.

For me.. I told the drone come home.. It started to come home from far away. I thought okay cool here it comes.. started to talk to the guys on the boat.
The drone shoots past me at about 20 feet above my head... I look up and think why didnt it stop and drop to land. while Im trying to figure out what was wrong
the drone started its landing, the blade lands fast on return home.. I think hell no,,realized what was up( the boat moved) to late. I could not get it to manual fast enough.
Splash!! the drone cut props thinking it was home at about 5 feet above the water.. Same height as the deck would of been if I had the boat there.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:38 PM
TIME TO GET SCHWIFTY

Originally Posted by Dumajones View Post
The Blade 350 qx3 ap..Lands without you needing to say its okay to land... It will come home if it loses signal from the controller or controller dies..
Land on its own. Those vids I posted are done with the Blade.

For me.. I told the drone come home.. It started to come home from far away. I thought okay cool here it comes.. started to talk to the guys on the boat.
The drone shoots past me at about 20 feet above my head... I look up and think why didnt it stop and drop to land. while Im trying to figure out what was wrong
the drone started its landing, the blade lands fast on return home.. I think hell no,,realized what was up( the boat moved) to late. I could not get it to manual fast enough.
Splash!! the drone cut props thinking it was home at about 5 feet above the water.. Same height as the deck would of been if I had the boat there.
You have no idea how sad I was about that when you told me.

(I was gonna buy it after the fishing season was over)

LMFAO

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who knows their drones ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: