What GPS are you running?

Old 06-17-2017, 11:16 PM

Model: Cherokee
Default What GPS are you running?

Shopping for a gps and reviews are all over the place . Want to get a quality upgradable gps unit for traveling and work . Thanks for your time in advance !
Old 06-18-2017, 12:15 PM
TIME TO GET SCHWIFTY

Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Are you using it for street travel only? Or looking for an offroad type unit?

If you just want a good streeter, go with the Garmin Nuvi...lots of positive reviews for that line of unit.

Offroad...I have been looking for a good one myself for a while...and would like the Garmin Montana...but it is pricey.

If anyone has some recommendations on a good offroad unit, please, post up!
Old 06-18-2017, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by roninofako View Post
Are you using it for street travel only? Or looking for an offroad type unit?

If you just want a good streeter, go with the Garmin Nuvi...lots of positive reviews for that line of unit.

Offroad...I have been looking for a good one myself for a while...and would like the Garmin Montana...but it is pricey.

If anyone has some recommendations on a good offroad unit, please, post up!
all for street use mainly for traveling and I think I'll take it to work too I get tired of running my phone battery using gps to respond to service calls at locations all over the state . I seemed to find the Garmin Nuvi like you said is very popular but there are a lot of different models and I'd like to be able to update it at a reasonable cost .
Old 06-18-2017, 05:44 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey17 View Post
all for street use mainly for traveling and I think I'll take it to work too I get tired of running my phone battery using gps to respond to service calls at locations all over the state . I seemed to find the Garmin Nuvi like you said is very popular but there are a lot of different models and I'd like to be able to update it at a reasonable cost .
Is there a situation where you wouldn't be able to plug in a phone charger in the vehicle, but you would be able to plug in a GPS?

What am I missing?
Old 06-18-2017, 07:13 PM

Yes, at work legally not supposed to have any cellular device out when driving whether it's gps or not . Also it's annoying when traveling and your phone is tied up the whole time and constantly plugged into charger to be able to run gps which also runs down my limited data plan . It's a matter of preference I suppose and in this instance I'd rather have a separate gps unit from my phone on long hauls .
Old 06-19-2017, 12:32 AM

Year: 2000

I see this subject pop up from time to time on numerous forums. Garmin always. On my way! Out as the majority. I also have a couple garmins. Buy one with life time map updates. Ya get to update the maps four times a year for free.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:04 AM
CF Veteran

Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Sign of the times! I can remember when onboard navigation was my wife in the other seat with a map! LOL!
Old 06-19-2017, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey17 View Post
Yes, at work legally not supposed to have any cellular device out when driving whether it's gps or not . Also it's annoying when traveling and your phone is tied up the whole time and constantly plugged into charger to be able to run gps which also runs down my limited data plan . It's a matter of preference I suppose and in this instance I'd rather have a separate gps unit from my phone on long hauls .
All fair points I had not considered. Thanks!
Old 06-19-2017, 09:13 AM

Year: 1996

Only GPS I have other than my phone is a Garmin Rino. I use it mostly for mountain hunting but it does have all the layers for trails/roads and the like. I'd say it'd make a decent unit for offroading. Also has radio (walkie talkie) and texting capabilities, as well as the ability to see other Rino users location that you have synched to (easy to find your buddies) etc
Old 06-19-2017, 09:32 AM

I seemed to find the Garmin Nuvi like you said is very popular but there are a lot of different models and I'd like to be able to update it at a reasonable cost .

you just have to find what one has the options you want and the screen size ya want.. lots of them come with life time free updates.. you can update the maps 4 times a year for free.. the nuvi we have has free traffic and free lifetime updates..
Old 06-19-2017, 12:13 PM

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Navigator-Directions-Lifetime-Displays/dp/B00RVGZRR2 this is the one I'm thinking of buying .
Old 06-19-2017, 12:44 PM

Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Cylinder

I use the Gaia App on my iPhone or iPad, works off of the devices GPS and you can preload maps for when you loose cellular connection.