Go Back  Jeep Cherokee Forum > General > Off-Topic Discussion
What do you wash your oiled clothes with? >

What do you wash your oiled clothes with?

What do you wash your oiled clothes with?

Old 08-17-2018, 10:09 AM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default What do you wash your oiled clothes with?

Since I have been doing a lot more work on my cars, I have been running out of 'old jeans' and such to wear. Was thinking about washing them vs throwing them out, and was curious if there is any magical soap that I should use.

I'm certainly not expecting to wear these jeans to a wedding, but would like to be able to wear them again and at least feel like they are 'clean'. stains can be stains.

any tips or suggestions? Is it ok to take these to a laundromat to wash them you think or would people get upset?
Old 08-17-2018, 10:21 AM
CF Veteran

Year: '96
Model: Cherokee

I've been using this for years. Spray it on the stain spots and let it set for a bit. Then throw the clothes in the washer.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:18 PM
CF Veteran

Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Honestly, I wash mine at the local laundromat. No way I am putting them in my fancy washing machine after getting super dirty under my XJ.

But I do try to be as non-assholeish as I can. I will soak them in a bucket of hot water and purple power or degreaser for 30 minutes or more. Then I will basically try to rinse as much of the junk out as I can - hand-wash style. I only have a few garage clothes so not a big deal. I do this with my coveralls and a few dedicated shirts I only wear for dirty stuff. I try to keep my coveralls pretty clean though, avoid wiping hands and stuff on them. Then I take it all to the local coin laundry, put in a few extra coins for the HOT wash, and use a bit more detergent than I normally would, maybe spiked with more greaser.

Second option is to just go to a thrift store and buy $1-$2 clothes, which I will do for the more dirty projects. When they are too dirty to wear, I will cut them up to use as rags, and eventually toss them. I figure it is at least somewhat the best I can do for minimizing waste
Old 08-17-2018, 06:49 PM
tarmac tiara

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

ive been washing them in my fancy washer for years. the pre-wash activity is important. clothes are something i have an abundance of and if the ones i’m wearing are “too dirty” i simply throw them away. i soak dirty clothes in a bucket with oxyclean and hose them off before placing them in the washer.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:27 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I've soaked shop rags in kerosene and then blasted them with a garden hose, THEN taken them to a laundromat. Most of the laundromats around here are now attended and I've been yelled at until they look at how clean they already are. Back when I was living in RI, my buddy had a washing machine in his garage that he bought at a second hand store and that's all he used it for including his coveralls.<br /><br />BTW, Dawn detergent works very well and is cheap. Just be careful using it in a washing machine because it foams pretty good!

Last edited by dave1123; 08-18-2018 at 08:31 AM.