Tow cable

Old 01-29-2017, 03:03 AM

Model: Cherokee
Default Tow cable

Found a good section, probably 50 ft or more, of at least 25,000lbs. (Yes that's right) or possibly more steel cable just laying where I go steelhead fishing. It's diameter (all the way around) is probably pushing 4 inches, probably 2 inches straight across when looking at it. I normally wouldn't think about it, but this stuff is like BRAND spankin new, no rust or corrosion, kinks or anything present AT ALL. Would it be worth it to grab that sucker and order some shackles to make two loops for a bulletproof tow cable? Need some motivation haha. And no, it's not on private property or connected to anything, it serves no purpose just laying under some rocks out in the middle of bfe.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:05 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

50 ft at 2" dia, and you would transport that conveniently how?
Best take that to your scrap dealer, use the money toward a good bubba rope.
Stows and transports conveniently, strong, safer, effective in an extraction.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:41 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

i agree. that ain't something you will wanna keep in the back of your jeep for that "one time" you may want/need it.

grab it tho, it's worth something to someone. sounds like a logger/skidder left it behind. i would try to sell it on craigslist before you scrap it. the scrapyard will only keep it for a lift rope anyways.

bubba rope is good.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:04 PM

Good idea, hadn't really thought about transportation haha, one of those well that's a good idea at the moment spurs... getting 10k cable to bend into a diameter small enough to put in the hatch of my jeep would be hard enough. Maybe I'll roll out in the Cummins with that 8ft bed and some tape, make big circles and tape it together. Yeah, craigslist wouldn't be a bad option. I'm sure someone will want it, that thing could yank a semi out of a ditch no problem. I could probably sell it to a farmer or something around here for a penny or so. Definitely will go towards a solid rope, or more parts as usual. Better to buy something tested than attempt to make something that might work, and not be able to haul it around. Thanks for the input gents
Old 01-30-2017, 10:41 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I just had a thought. Make sure it wasn't stolen and dumped. Trying to get rid of it may get you in trouble. I hate to be paranoid, but maybe I'm not!