The TOOL thread

Old 08-22-2015, 12:00 PM   #1
TIME TO GET SCHWIFTY

View roninofako's Photo Album My Photos
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.6 stroker
Default The TOOL thread

Okay, I haven't really seen a thread quite like this on here...lots of "what do you carry in your jeep", lots of "what basic tools should I get for maintenance", but the purpose of this thread is for us to show off the tools we bought, give reviews of your purchase, and general comments about tools you would recommend (or not) to others. We all have a desire to make our rigs ours, and tools are part of that equation...also, list tools you use for work, or home, it doesn't have to be jeep related...this thread is all about tools, and not the kind that cut you off in traffic on the way to work, LOL

One other thing, please leave the bashing at the door. Not everyone can afford Snap-On, or MAC, or Matco...while all quality tools, they are not for everyone. No fanboys here, please. I have quality tools, but I also own HF stuff...and some of it I'll put up against the big boys any day of the week. So if you think all HF tools are junk, and Snap On is the shiz, that's your business..the thing that matters here is are you happy with what you bought or not, did it make your life better, did it end hunger in Africa...

It also doesn't have to be new tools, if you've had something you've had for years, and just love, post it!

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE TOOLS

I'll start...

SO, I've been looking at electric impacts for my job. I narrowed it down to 2, between the IR W7250, and the Milwaukee M18. Both have great reviews, and both have some love and some hate...you know how that goes, fanboys and what not. Well, I decided yesterday. Look what jumped off the Cornwell truck into my hands yesterday...

The TOOL thread-20150821_090620c-r.jpg

The things that put the Milwaukee over the top, were battery power, and life, the fact that it also has 2 settings, a built in light (I work in a lot of low light situations), and the fact that I already have a Milwaukee sawzall and grinder at work that use the same batteries. I had a couple people tell me the IR was a better unit, but on paper they are about equal. The M18 is a brushless motor, though, and with the reasons listed above, put it over the top for me. Price was close, but the unit I got had 2 batteries, so a tad more expensive. $630 to be exact.

So, I took my new purchase into our area and charged the batteries...then had the opportunity to use it tracking some conveyor belts. These bolts are 3/4", nothing major. Used the low setting, and it worked great, loosened and tightened around 30 bolts with zero issues.

So, as I was walking back to our area to put it away, someone I work with saw me and said "hey let's see it" so I showed it to them, pulled the trigger, and BAM....nothing. Thought maybe the reverse selector switch was on lock. BAM...nothing. The light flashes 3 times for 5 sequences. I IMMEDIATELY called the Cornwell rep. He's replacing the unit on Monday. I explained to him if the replacement has the issue this one did within the first few months, I would be returning it for the IR. He agreed, so I will wait to cast final judgement until we see how the replacement performs. Kinda disappointed, as the other Milwaukee tools I have are all excellent.

I will keep you guys posted on the outcome. I will say this: the Cornwell rep was extremely apologetic, and assured me he'll make it right.

Last edited by roninofako; 08-22-2015 at 12:34 PM.
roninofako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:31 PM   #2
CF Veteran

View XJlimitedx99's Photo Album My Photos
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

Great idea for a thread. I've been building quite the little collection of tools over the past couple years.

The one life-saving piece I have is my Kobalt socket set. It's gotten me through hell and back, all for a great price. I think I paid like $80 for the one I have. It's not all inclusive though. Often I find myself needing a certain combination of drive size and deep sockets that it doesn't have. Also my 1/4" drive socket is starting to get messed up. I also have a 1/2" drive Kobalt torque wrench that I'm very pleased with for the price.

I have a set of the "wobble" extensions from HF. I was skeptical when I bought them but they have proven their worth to me time and time again. They give just enough offset to get to those awkward places and are super easy to use. I would highly recommend these to someone looking for a set of extensions.
XJlimitedx99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:35 PM   #3

View dnuccio's Photo Album My Photos
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

i like craftsman stuff. gets the job done just as well as snap on or matco IMO, for like half the price. their lifetime warranty is great too, i had a chrome socket that i put on an impact and it broke into about 7 pieces. i put it all in a baggie and took it to sears, told them what happened, and i walked out with a new socket less than 5 minutes later.

i have alot of HF stuff too.
dnuccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:35 PM   #4
TIME TO GET SCHWIFTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJlimitedx99 View Post
Great idea for a thread. I've been building quite the little collection of tools over the past couple years.

The one life-saving piece I have is my Kobalt socket set. It's gotten me through hell and back, all for a great price. I think I paid like $80 for the one I have. It's not all inclusive though. Often I find myself needing a certain combination of drive size and deep sockets that it doesn't have. Also my 1/4" drive socket is starting to get messed up. I also have a 1/2" drive Kobalt torque wrench that I'm very pleased with for the price.

I have a set of the "wobble" extensions from HF. I was skeptical when I bought them but they have proven their worth to me time and time again. They give just enough offset to get to those awkward places and are super easy to use. I would highly recommend these to someone looking for a set of extensions.
Excellent! Exactly what I'm talking about...keep 'em coming guys...

I have some Kobalt stuff, too, and am impressed with them. Also been looking at those wobble extensions...just might go get some and check those out.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:39 PM   #5
TIME TO GET SCHWIFTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
i like craftsman stuff. gets the job done just as well as snap on or matco IMO, for like half the price. their lifetime warranty is great too, i had a chrome socket that i put on an impact and it broke into about 7 pieces. i put it all in a baggie and took it to sears, told them what happened, and i walked out with a new socket less than 5 minutes later.

i have alot of HF stuff too.
I got 2 sets of Craftsman ratcheting hand wrenches around Christmas. Love them, they have a locking flex head that is the BUSINESS in tight spots.

The TOOL thread-20141226_210504c-r.jpg

HF stuff is cool, depending on what it is, their hand tools are a great value, IMHO...and IF anything happens, lifetime warranty...easily exchanged for a new one. Hard to beat. I'll add that any HF hand tool I've had break on me, it was because of me, doing things like using a screwdriver as a pry bar and such...(don't judge me, we've all done it...LOL)

The exception to HF hand tools would be their vise grip and channel lock type pliers...just not worth the money IMHO...spend a little more here, and get the brand name ones, and they'll last you a long, long time

Last edited by roninofako; 08-22-2015 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:29 PM   #6
Take the red pill

View 4WD4EVER's Photo Album My Photos
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I like this idea for a thread! Among other tools I carry, I've got the aluminum 4 piece quick disconnect tools for fuel lines, transmission lines, etc. 'Bout $20 @ AZ. Do I use them often? No, but I wouldn't want to have to improvise on those quick disconnect fittings out in the middle of bf and there's a lot of it in Texas.
4WD4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:38 PM   #7
TIME TO GET SCHWIFTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD4EVER View Post
I like this idea for a thread! Among other tools I carry, I've got the aluminum 4 piece quick disconnect tools for fuel lines, transmission lines, etc. 'Bout $20 @ AZ. Do I use them often? No, but I wouldn't want to have to improvise on those quick disconnect fittings out in the middle of bf and there's a lot of it in Texas.
Thanks...and I agree on where you live...I lived in Arlington for 6 months. I don't know how you do it, man. 6 months was all I could take, LOL
Old 08-22-2015, 03:32 PM   #8

View dnuccio's Photo Album My Photos
Year: 1995

ive also got this older IR electric impact wrench. its freakin awesome. i used it to take off an axle nut that i couldnt break loose with anything (breaker bar with 3ft pipe+standing on the pipe wouldnt even do it) just zipped it right off after a few seconds. its the kind you plug into the wall, not battery powered. downside is its not super portable since its plug in, but sure beats waiting for the compressor to fill up to use a pneumatic gun.

Name:  20150822_122754_zpshrvu3o9m.jpg
Views: 6799
Size:  411.2 KB

Last edited by dnuccio; 08-22-2015 at 11:30 PM.
dnuccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 03:40 PM   #9
TIME TO GET SCHWIFTY

Good stuff...old tools are the best. We have an old school Millermatic 200 at work that performs as good as the newer units we have...it's beat to hell, and makes noise, but it works great, LOL
Old 08-23-2015, 03:47 PM   #10
CF Veteran

View Fred/N0AZZ's Photo Album My Photos

Most all of my tools are old like me as well as my tool box's 3 tier 2 side cabinets (Mac) 90 + % of everything Snap-On and Mac. All my newer electric tools impacts 1/4", 1/2", screwdrivers, sawzall are all Milwaukee's and newer. Mig and Tig Welders are Miller with one old Craftsman stick welder.

I started buying tools when I was 14 yrs. old at a second hand shop, over 50 yrs. I have picked up quite a few for business and personal use over that time. I bought my grandson a set of used Snap-On open/box wrench's on craigslist last month for $120 went up to a 1 1/2" quite a good buy.
Fred/N0AZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:11 PM   #11
CF Veteran

View EZEARL's Photo Album My Photos
Year: '96

Quite a few of the tools I've acquired over the past 50yrs I've found along the road. Nothing really expensive but still FREE is NICE. Recently found Craftsman long handled needle nose pliers.
EZEARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:31 AM   #12
CF Veteran

View dave1123's Photo Album My Photos
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)

The only Snap-on tool I personally bought was a pair of heavy diagonal cutting pliers. They are black, not chrome, and have withstood all I've tried to do with them. They even cut thru a stainless steel brake line without damage except to my hand! They are definitely my go-to for cotter pins.
dave1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:20 PM   #13
TIME TO GET SCHWIFTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninofako View Post
Okay, I haven't really seen a thread quite like this on here...lots of "what do you carry in your jeep", lots of "what basic tools should I get for maintenance", but the purpose of this thread is for us to show off the tools we bought, give reviews of your purchase, and general comments about tools you would recommend (or not) to others. We all have a desire to make our rigs ours, and tools are part of that equation...also, list tools you use for work, or home, it doesn't have to be jeep related...this thread is all about tools, and not the kind that cut you off in traffic on the way to work, LOL

One other thing, please leave the bashing at the door. Not everyone can afford Snap-On, or MAC, or Matco...while all quality tools, they are not for everyone. No fanboys here, please. I have quality tools, but I also own HF stuff...and some of it I'll put up against the big boys any day of the week. So if you think all HF tools are junk, and Snap On is the shiz, that's your business..the thing that matters here is are you happy with what you bought or not, did it make your life better, did it end hunger in Africa...

It also doesn't have to be new tools, if you've had something you've had for years, and just love, post it!

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE TOOLS

I'll start...

SO, I've been looking at electric impacts for my job. I narrowed it down to 2, between the IR W7250, and the Milwaukee M18. Both have great reviews, and both have some love and some hate...you know how that goes, fanboys and what not. Well, I decided yesterday. Look what jumped off the Cornwell truck into my hands yesterday...

Attachment 275041

The things that put the Milwaukee over the top, were battery power, and life, the fact that it also has 2 settings, a built in light (I work in a lot of low light situations), and the fact that I already have a Milwaukee sawzall and grinder at work that use the same batteries. I had a couple people tell me the IR was a better unit, but on paper they are about equal. The M18 is a brushless motor, though, and with the reasons listed above, put it over the top for me. Price was close, but the unit I got had 2 batteries, so a tad more expensive. $630 to be exact.

So, I took my new purchase into our area and charged the batteries...then had the opportunity to use it tracking some conveyor belts. These bolts are 3/4", nothing major. Used the low setting, and it worked great, loosened and tightened around 30 bolts with zero issues.

So, as I was walking back to our area to put it away, someone I work with saw me and said "hey let's see it" so I showed it to them, pulled the trigger, and BAM....nothing. Thought maybe the reverse selector switch was on lock. BAM...nothing. The light flashes 3 times for 5 sequences. I IMMEDIATELY called the Cornwell rep. He's replacing the unit on Monday. I explained to him if the replacement has the issue this one did within the first few months, I would be returning it for the IR. He agreed, so I will wait to cast final judgement until we see how the replacement performs. Kinda disappointed, as the other Milwaukee tools I have are all excellent.

I will keep you guys posted on the outcome. I will say this: the Cornwell rep was extremely apologetic, and assured me he'll make it right.
So the Cornwell rep came by this morning, and made good. I used the new tool for about half the day tracking conveyor belts. Didn't even put a dent in the battery. So even after the initial experience of getting a bunk tool out of the box, I guess these things happen, and the rep made good, so right on.

I was walking back to the shop, and one of the mechanics there asked me to see it. He compared it side by side to his Snap-On. Then he grabbed a 31mm socket out of his rollaway, and put it to the test...on a big rig lugnut. Broke it free with ZERO issues. He then told me his Snap-On has been warrantied 4 times. So I guess I'm ahead of the game, LMAO...he was impressed
Old 08-24-2015, 09:39 PM   #14
HUH? WHAT?

View XJwonders's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninofako View Post
I got 2 sets of Craftsman ratcheting hand wrenches around Christmas. Love them, they have a locking flex head that is the BUSINESS in tight spots. HF stuff is cool, depending on what it is, their hand tools are a great value, IMHO...and IF anything happens, lifetime warranty...easily exchanged for a new one. Hard to beat. I'll add that any HF hand tool I've had break on me, it was because of me, doing things like using a screwdriver as a pry bar and such...(don't judge me, we've all done it...LOL) The exception to HF hand tools would be their vise grip and channel lock type pliers...just not worth the money IMHO...spend a little more here, and get the brand name ones, and they'll last you a long, long time
their hammers are soft as Labrador poop on a hot day. I bought a framing hammer, started out on first nail of the day, and broke it in an hour, the striking face was extremely mushroomed, the claws broke off, and the fiberglass handle shattered It was interesting morning lol.
XJwonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 03:42 PM   #15
TIME TO GET SCHWIFTY

Got a couple of new additions this weekend...
The TOOL thread-20150905_173509c-r.jpg

The TOOL thread-20150907_122638c-r.jpg

The TOOL thread-20150907_122711c-r.jpg

The TOOL thread-20150907_122725c-r.jpg

The worklight is bright as hell...2000 lumens!

And not too expensive, $30 at Costco. I'll be going back to get more.