Plumbing question

Old 04-08-2018, 05:10 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Plumbing question

So this may be very different from the norm but since we moved here our hot water pressure is awesome and good but our cold water pressure is low. No matter what faucet from inside faucets to outside garden hose its just low! I tried turning the valve outside from the meter that comes into the house but i did notice it did not turn all the way like the others despite trying to get it to turn, I bumped it open by repeatedly closing it and slamming it open maybe trying to loosen it up but to no avail. I gave up as i figured i was gonna break it trying any harder it was to the point water started trickling out of the valve but stopped when i stopped trying. What other issues can it be! and i mean when the valve is slightly i mean just slightly like 1/12th of the way from fully open.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:51 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Okay, IDK if this helps but my brother-in-law was a plumber in Orlando and said there's something in the water down there that will actually eat thru copper after awhile unless it's heated first. He has had to break thru concrete slabs to replace copper pipes before, but the hot water pipes never are a problem. I think it might have to do with minerals in the water that heat dissolves. In my area in upstate NY, there is a lot of dissolved limestone in well water that will build up in valves and fixtures until they either leak of won't move. Inline shutoffs are the most problem because they stay open most of the time and lock in that position. That main shutoff valve is the property of the water company so I'm assuming they will have to be the one to replace it or at least service it. If that house was vacant for awhile with the water shut off, that created the problem.

When I had to replace my hot water tank it weighed an incredible amount from the built up calcium in the bottom. In FL, the base bedrock is limestone as well.

Last edited by dave1123; 04-08-2018 at 06:55 PM.