Photobucket anger

Old 06-30-2017, 12:35 PM
Great White Jeep

Year: Jeepless
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Photobucket anger

Not sure how many of you use Photobucket since it is not the best hosting site at all. For those of you who do, you have probably noticed that all the pictures you have posted no longer work. I have had a Photobucket account for around 6 years now. I have used it to link pictures to my build threads on other forums. Now, all my pictures are gone. I dont mind paying for using Photobucket to get them functioning again but what they are asking is just stupid. To get them to work again, its $400 per year. They have 2 other services for a lot less but guess what? They wont allow you to link your pictures. So, I am a bit angry. Its going to take who knows how long to go back to each build thread and replace the pictures. Literally about a 1000 pictures to fix. Who else was affected by this? What other, better, site can I use instead?
Old 06-30-2017, 01:23 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Since they changed the image function on the message panel, I just browse my picture files on my computer. I download them directly from my camera into my pictures file, then install them on the forum from there. Thank you whoever fixed that. Before I used imgur.com but it was tedious.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:22 PM
Banned

Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

I noticed that the other day and sent them an email with specific instructions explaining how to **** off and die.

You can rent your own virtual server for much less and not only host your pics, but also set up a website if you want, have your own domain name for email, track IP addresses through your own server logs, etc. I don't really mind that they went to a pay model. The way they did it, making it look like they're holding people's pics hostage to extort them into signing up for the pay service, was the work of scumbags.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:54 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee

Damn that sucks. I do what Dave does. Makes it much easier IMO.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:33 PM
Seasoned Member

I went through a similar ordeal a few years back with Imageshack. I used that site for years and had a few hundred pictures on there and i had a 30+ page build thread on another vehicle forum... then they wanted money but i could still keep my pictures hosted without paying(the ones i already had hosted). then no pictures, no account nothing. just gone.

then I switched to Photobucket... and here we are

Buuuuuuuut since I have been here i have found this site to be quite wonderful with picture hosting!
Old 06-30-2017, 04:13 PM
Great White Jeep

Year: Jeepless
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I am glad this forum has the uploader. Thanks to it, I dont think any of my pictures on here got ruined. One of the other forums I use just added the same feature a few months ago but everything before that, I used PB. Then on another forum, which has been at least a 4 year on going thread, I only used PB. They dont use the uploader. That one is going to suck to fix.

Extrashaky - I like the idea of renting a server as long as its pretty cheap. I will look in to it.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:31 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 94

Damnit... i'v got about a thousand pics on there from the last decade or longer. Trips, builds, etc
Old 07-01-2017, 08:54 PM

Year: 99
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

That is why I never used PB. Half the time I needed to read an old thread (normally laying out something I needed to know), the poster either moved or deleted the pics. Much of the time people don't write in English well enough to explain technical subjects without the illustrations, so the missing pics were absolutely crucial.

Nowadays, without an uploaded I don't bother. With one I feel I can trust that if the thread is all there, the illustrations I need are, too.

Good riddance, PB. You've been screwing forums for a decade and a half and I'm glad to see you gone...
Old 07-01-2017, 11:07 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

Hmm my signature banner is hosted on PB, still there. I hate PB and all the damn pop adds and crap. Stupid page re directs as well.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:31 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0l

I have 20 Gb of photos I have been trying to offload from the site, needless to say it's been very frustrating since everyone is doing the same.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:40 AM
CF Veteran

Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Same, I have tons of photos up there and they have gone 100% to ****

Their new API is absolute garbage, the one 10 years ago was super fast and responsive, and ever since they implemented this new one, it has been just utter garbage.
I hate Photobucket with all my might
Old 07-02-2017, 08:41 AM

Engine: 4.0

so far my pictures are still up on different sites. including this one. are they going down the member list one by one and just not get to me yet?

been using PB for years.. have quite a few pics uploaded there.

photobucket has been real hit and miss the last couple of years. doesn't work near as well as it once did..

what are other cheap or free hosting sites out there?
Old 07-02-2017, 10:31 AM
Banned

Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by abodyjoe View Post
so far my pictures are still up on different sites. including this one. are they going down the member list one by one and just not get to me yet?
As far as I can tell, the pics are still there, and existing links still work. The problem is that they have blocked it so you can't link any more pics unless you pay them, and the interface keeps having errors. With mine, sometimes my entire gallery shows up, and sometimes there are pages missing.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:52 AM

Engine: 4.0

Never trust "the cloud"
Old 07-02-2017, 11:58 AM

Long ago I set up a P20, low level account on Photobucket that they no longer offer. Looks like my photos are still showing up, but between the erosion of services and now this BS, I'm finally migrating all my galleries to low-level Smugmug account. We've been using them at work (we build roadracing cars) to showcase our builds and product photos. The cost is reasonable and the interface is great.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: