Need advice regarding a Honda.... - Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back  Jeep Cherokee Forum > General > Off-Topic Discussion
Need advice regarding a Honda.... >

Need advice regarding a Honda....

Need advice regarding a Honda....

Old 10-16-2017, 09:48 AM
Seasoned Member

Model: Cherokee
Default Need advice regarding a Honda....

Yes, this is totally off topic, but thought I'd throw the question out there and see what the collective wisdom of the forum offers. Here's the deal:
My 21 year old daughter owns an '07 Honda civic, 125k miles, financed, still owes $5500 on it. While driving on the highway the other day, her check engine light came on, the car didn't feel right, she checked her gauges and temp gauge was pegged in the hot zone. She pulled over, called me, called tow truck, and had towed to local shop. Seems as though her block cracked, coolant leaked out, caused overheat. Now, in the jeep world, we'd say thats backwards, something else went, cause the overheat, which caused the crack but...not the case with Honda. Turns out, there's a tsb 10- 048 that says 06- 09 civics have block casting defects and are prone to cracking and honda extended the warranty to 10 years on the block. Honda notified owners in 2010 abd 2014 of the tsb. Shes had the car for 2.5 years, never got a notice, now needs a block, is out of warranty by a few months and Honda is saying no to any assistance at all. Junkyard motor installed is in the $3000 range. She's a broke full time college student who works full time too just to pay her rent and other expences (like her car payment and insurances).
the question is...would you pay to fix it if it was yours? If you were in this situation, and still owed $5500, would you invest $3000 to fix the car? Or would you trade it in and take a loss on it, the loss might be less than the repair?
Old 10-16-2017, 10:09 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Will the $3000 repair add $3000 worth of value to the car as it sits now?

IE, if you could sell it today for $1000 with a blown engine, and you put a $3000 engine in it, could you sell it for $4000?
Old 10-16-2017, 11:37 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 97

There could be another option. I have not checked in quite awhile but we used to buy "low mileage" motors from Japan real cheap. Do they still do this? Anyways Japan's smog laws are so strict they will not even let them run an engine over a certain number of miles and make them replace the whole engine. I don't know if these are still available or not but they were dirt cheap and only had very low mileage on them. They were just barely "broke in".

I have myself curious now, and after I pull this ford tranny and get it back in I will make some calls to my old suppliers and see if these are still available.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by wizardpc View Post
Will the $3000 repair add $3000 worth of value to the car as it sits now?

IE, if you could sell it today for $1000 with a blown engine, and you put a $3000 engine in it, could you sell it for $4000?
yes and no. Yes, if we put $3000 into it, coukd sell for around $4500 but...is financed and she still owes $5500 on it. So if she fixes it and keeps it, will end up spending more than its worth.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:22 PM

Year: 1998

Fix it, but to bugout's point there's got to be a cheaper way to do it. I bought a replacement 4 cylinder engine and had it installed for $1700 total (in today's dollars) back when I was in college.

(Throw the $5500 number out the window. That's a sunk cost and doesn't factor in to whether or not you fix it)
Old 10-16-2017, 07:56 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by wizardpc View Post
Fix it, but to bugout's point there's got to be a cheaper way to do it. I bought a replacement 4 cylinder engine and had it installed for $1700 total (in today's dollars) back when I was in college.

(Throw the $5500 number out the window. That's a sunk cost and doesn't factor in to whether or not you fix it)
Absolutely... I have bought really nice good running used cars for 3k. No way I would pay that much to a junkyard for a motor I was not sure of. Bet he could get a rebuilt long block for less with a warranty.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Bugout4x4 View Post
No way I would pay that much to a junkyard for a motor I was not sure of. .
The motor itself is only around $1200, but by the time you add 14 hours of labor, and a new clutch, and new coils and all the other misc fluids and all, it adds up to around $3000.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:54 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Kymasabe View Post
The motor itself is only around $1200, but by the time you add 14 hours of labor, and a new clutch, and new coils and all the other misc fluids and all, it adds up to around $3000.
I get it... And 1200 is still too much for a used motor. Be patient and let me see if I can nail down a better deal for you from a trusted source. They ship world wide.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:01 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

I get it... And 1200 is still too much for a used motor. Be patient and let me see if I can nail down a better deal for you from a trusted source. They ship world wide.
^This, the big worry with a junkyard motor is that if the motor has a known casting defect that leads to cracking, any used motor from the same year range may end up developing the same issue. As such a used motor would only make sense if you can get it on the cheap (including install) or you have a machine shop go over it (magna-flux) to make sure there aren't any micro-cracks waiting to develop into something more serious.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:17 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by dmill89 View Post
^This, the big worry with a junkyard motor is that if the motor has a known casting defect that leads to cracking, any used motor from the same year range may end up developing the same issue. As such a used motor would only make sense if you can get it on the cheap (including install) or you have a machine shop go over it (magna-flux) to make sure there aren't any micro-cracks waiting to develop into something more serious.
There is another problem with his estimate. If a shop quoted him 14 hrs labor it is the wrong shop. I could change that out by myself before lunch. 8 hours tops if I am screwing around.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:55 PM
Seasoned Member

There is another problem with his estimate. If a shop quoted him 14 hrs labor it is the wrong shop. I could change that out by myself before lunch. 8 hours tops if I am screwing around.
Good point, I need to know what book time is on a long block R&R.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by dmill89 View Post
^This, the big worry with a junkyard motor is that if the motor has a known casting defect that leads to cracking, any used motor from the same year range may end up developing the same issue.
To answer this question...all 1.8's from 2006 to 2008 are crap, they all have the same thin porous casting problem and are all going to fail. Some early 2009's also have the same block. That leaves 2010, the first year of the "improved" block and 2011, the more desirable year/motor that hasn't had any reported failures. There are '06-'09 long blocks everywhere around here and no one wants them (understandably). The motor I have waiting for me is a 2011 with only 45k on it. And for that, the seller wants a premium price.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:31 AM
CF Veteran

To answer this question...all 1.8's from 2006 to 2008 are crap, they all have the same thin porous casting problem and are all going to fail. Some early 2009's also have the same block. That leaves 2010, the first year of the "improved" block and 2011, the more desirable year/motor that hasn't had any reported failures. There are '06-'09 long blocks everywhere around here and no one wants them (understandably). The motor I have waiting for me is a 2011 with only 45k on it. And for that, the seller wants a premium price.
Is this 2011 the 2 liter Vtech?
Old 10-17-2017, 01:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Is this 2011 the 2 liter Vtech?
No, same 1.8 liter that's in the car now, just without the thin casting from the earlier years.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:39 PM
CF Veteran

No, same 1.8 liter that's in the car now, just without the thin casting from the earlier years.
OK, I called around yesterday and my old suppliers don't handle these take out engines anymore because of the very competitive prices available on the internet. So if you are curious about pricing and warranties just do a search for used low mileage engines from Japan. There are numerous sources and options for these low mileage take out engines.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: