Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Lowest Mileage XJ?

Old 07-24-2017, 08:11 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

Nice!
One thing that would concern me is how long it's been sitting without a startup and drive.

Another thing to be careful about when buying long term storage 'barn finds' is mice damage.
It doesn't look like any in that XJ from the pics but looks can be deceiving.

I had a '74 Ford Ranger sitting in my barn for about 13 years with occasional use when i needed a pickup for hauling stuff.
Yeah i seen a mouse crap here and there but ignored it hoping the mouse found a better home. Big mistake.
Hadn't been in it for about a year or so before i sold it

Right before selling it, i tried to clean it up a little and to my horror that thing became a mouse hotel in just a year's time mainly in the blower heater duct work.
Had to drop the price some because of the mouse infestation.
The buyer at least got a good deal on a that rest free Ranger.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:12 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

Yep been down that road with a 47 Buick we picked up. Looked all fine till we noticed some chewed up interior, So we took the seats out and underneath was a horror show lol fluff everywhere with like 17 dead mice inside. Explains the smell it had....
Old 07-24-2017, 02:42 PM

Engine: 4.0

Letting a car sit around unused is about the worst thing you can do to it. One that has seen light regular use and has moderate mileage is preferable to something that's been idled for years or decades.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:08 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

Originally Posted by EEVEE View Post
Yep been down that road with a 47 Buick we picked up. Looked all fine till we noticed some chewed up interior, So we took the seats out and underneath was a horror show lol fluff everywhere with like 17 dead mice inside. Explains the smell it had....
With that kind of mouse infestation, the whole interior needs to be gutted with new rugs, headliner, seats re-upholstered not to mention a thorough disinfectant cleaning and a possible floor board re-paint.

I also have a '05 Dodge Neon in storage in my barn which i'm gonna sell.
Noticed some mouse crap, so put a trap in there.
Problem was i forgot about the trap. Just one dead mouse stunk it up.

Since then i got this peppermint mouse repellent, installed 6 electronic mouse repellers and the 5 gal water peanut butter trap which got at least 6 mice in a month's period.

Sprayed the peppermint on the Neon around the tires and around the hood hinge area where i think they gained entrance to the cab.
So far so good. Any more mice problems, its a couple snakes in the barn lol.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:20 PM
CF Veteran

Oh i would understand that engines need to be ran its just rare to see this with this low of mileage lol. New seals and all that should be good right? and yep everything interior wise was replaced in there.